Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Last night was the worse night of my life...

Posted by on Mar. 11, 2009 at 9:35 AM
  • 3 Replies

Whenever we got home last night, DD and oldest DS wanted to ride their bikes in the driveway. So I made them all go inside so I could back the van up. I always park the van long ways accross the driveway so that they can't ride into the road. Apparently I didn't shut the door all the way because they got out. Because of the location of the pillar on my front porch, I couldn't see the front door. As I began to back up, I immediately ran into something. I wasn't close enough to the pole to be running into it and I couldn't think of what it was. Just then I saw DD out of the corner of my eye and realized that I had to have hit one of my boys. I threw it in drive real quick, then shut it off and ran around to the passenger side PRAYING I was wrong. But I wasn't. There was my baby DS, laying face down in the dirt crying and not moving. I freaked out. Luckily my SIL was on her way over and just around the corner. By time she pulled in my driveway, I had baby DS in his carseat buckled in and ready to head to the hospital. After a few hours, an IV, cat scan, and x-rays, they determined that nothing was broke, his head, and all his organs were fine. I had just sideswiped him with my tire. You have NO IDEA how I feel. To think that I could have killed my child last night. I could NEVER live with myself. I LOVE him SOOOOOO much. He has road rash so bad, all down his right side. I feel SOOOOOO bad. I am just SOOOOO thankful that he is ok.

My husband and I learned a hard lesson last night. We are now installing a deadbolt that locks on both sides with a key. We are also installing a type of alarm system on the house so I can here when the door opens. I will also make sure that all "3" of my kids are INSIDE the van with me, whenever I move it, NO MATTER how far. We will also STRICTLY inforce the rule of NO ONE outside until a vehicle has come to a complete stop and the motor is turned off. I just wish this wouldn't have happened for us to become so strict. I thought I was doing the right thing by making them stay in the house. But apparently it wasn't enough. Especially since I couldn't see the front door. Please keep your kids safe.

by on Mar. 11, 2009 at 9:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
rockinmama07
by on Mar. 11, 2009 at 9:38 AM

I'm so sorry that you and your son had to experience this.  I'm glad he's okay tho.

"Raising kids is part joy and part guerilla warfare." - Ed Asner

LCSHELTON
by on Mar. 11, 2009 at 9:46 AM

God Bless you and your family-my heart goes out to you. I am so sorry you are having to experience something so devastating. I can only imagine how terrible that was for you.  Thank you though, for the warning and ways to protect our children.

KyraandKayden
by on Mar. 11, 2009 at 10:30 AM

Quoting LCSHELTON:

God Bless you and your family-my heart goes out to you. I am so sorry you are having to experience something so devastating. I can only imagine how terrible that was for you.  Thank you though, for the warning and ways to protect our children.

I hope that someone can learn from my unfortunate mistake. I always thought it would NEVER happen to me. I am careful, I keep an eye on my kids, but it happened. In the blink of an eye. I am just thankful that it wasn't worse and I could possibly help someone else avoid the same situation.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)