Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding moms...please help!

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 4:12 PM
  • 5 Replies

A little history...I have a 2 month old who has been EBF. Since I left the hospital when she was born I have had issues with my nipples not related to latching (been to 2 different LC). They were cracked and bleeding in the early weeks and then my right one developed a blister. Well, the blister is still there. It's more like a bedsore! It's the size of a pencil eraser...pretty much takes up the whole tip of my nipple. I have been BF through the pain and have tried everything to get rid of it...but it won't go away. Here's what I've tried, do you have any other suggestions:?

Nipple shield for 3 weeks - caused more trauma to blister cause of constant rubbing

Pumping - again, caused more trauma to the nipple cause of the constant suction. My DD doesn't cause as much pain because once the nipple is in the back of her mouth, the pain subsides a bit

Lanolin - moisterizes but doesn't do much for the blister

Soothies - have been doing these for the past 3 weeks...blister is still there

Air drying - did this for the first 6 weeks...only made it worse. Nipples would scab up and then DD would suck the scab off.

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 4:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Jess_9-22-08
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 9:18 PM

I don't have any advise except go to the Breastfeeding group here on CM. Hope it gets better soon! Good luck!

happymommy114
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 4:13 PM

I know you said you let them air dry and that didn't work.  Did you squeeze a couple drops of milk out first and massage it into the nipple like you would the lanolin?  That's what I did, and it worked wonders!  Good luck, and I applaud you for not giving up on the breastfeeding, even with all the issues you're having!! 

breastfeeding

Christi
Wife to Jeremy, my handsome hubby of 3 yrs
Mommy to Avery, our beautiful 19 month old daughter
Helping Moms Work From Home!
www.DoneWithDaycare.com

momtorussell
by on Apr. 10, 2009 at 9:32 AM

I know some moms will use polysporin (not neosporin) on unhappy nips.  Wipe off the excess before you feed though.

oxley12
by on Apr. 10, 2009 at 1:54 PM

I dont really have any advice but i just wanted to applaud you for keeping up with the breastfeeding!!! 

chicbetty
by on Apr. 13, 2009 at 5:00 PM

I had really bad nipples the first 2 months for BF. One was cracked so much I really thought it was about to fall off (not kidding) and the other had a really deep pitted look. Thankfully they healed and are fine now. My son is now 5 months old and 20 lbs! EBF until untill a couple of weeks ago when introduced cereal.

What my Lactation Consultant told me and did make a HUGE difference was to use Bacitracin Ointment. It is safe for baby and unlike Neosporin, it wont promote yeast growth or bacteria. I seemed to really heal up after starting to use it.  And if you can, give them even a 24hr rest and just pump (allowing your pumped milk to be bottle feed by someone else) After 6 weeks this should be ok and not cause confusion I was told.  (sorry, seen you have done that. If it is better BF than the pump on you, then just make sure to start with the good side first and then switch to the sore side once the vigorous sucking is done in the beggining of eating.)

I tried the Lanolin nonstop for the first few weeks but really didn't know how the whole BF thing was supposed to be a bonding experience if it was so painful.  Really, It does get better. If you can hang on and heal up. After about 2-2.5 months I realized one day I didn't hurt anymore and it has been great since.  I know see what everyone means as far as the bonding, it is YOUR time with your baby and I get jelous and protective now even if my husband wants to give me a break and give him a bottle I pumped while at work.  If I am around him....I am feeding him. Period.

Also, I had a problem with a pain once the nipple sorness went away. It was deep inside. I wasn't sure what it was and thought just another BF pain. Eventually it got so bad I was looking things up  a 2am in desperation.  It turned out to be a yeast infection...but deep in the ducts, not one the surface like you and the Dr would expect. When I mentioned to my Dr. she didn't think that could be it but gave me the !!2 WEEKS!!(very important) worth of Diflucan (oral) I asked for anyway. And it went away .  So, lesson here....don't just deal with it and insist on the treatment. it wont hurt you or your baby and could just make all the differnce in the world.

GOOD LUCK!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)