Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

toddler eating

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 7:29 PM
  • 8 Replies

hello mommies,

i was just wondering how some of you might get your todlers to eat. dinner, breakfast ect. mine is 4 years old and has to be fed still. like we have to pick up the fork and feed him. any sugestions on how to make him do it himself?

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 7:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
kate_jocelyn
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 7:32 PM

Hmmm wow. Well If I were you, i'd stop feeding him completely. If he's hungry, he'll feed himself, he's definitely old enough and capable. Let him throw tantrums and get angry, ignore him while he does it and simply refuse to feed him.

My almost one year old is capable of feeding herself to an extent, so I'm sure your son will be able to get the hang of it.

I'm a single, 18 year old, christian, breastfeeding, baby-wearing, co-sleeping, cloth-diapering, vax-delaying, stay-at-home, non-cry-it-out mama to my little miss Anabelle Mae, and I'm so proud of it!

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Amber115
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 7:36 PM

Quoting kate_jocelyn:

Hmmm wow. Well If I were you, i'd stop feeding him completely. If he's hungry, he'll feed himself, he's definitely old enough and capable. Let him throw tantrums and get angry, ignore him while he does it and simply refuse to feed him.

My almost one year old is capable of feeding herself to an extent, so I'm sure your son will be able to get the hang of it.

SamanthaAgain
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 7:37 PM

I agree.  My 9 month old feeds himself.  Not with a spoon of course, but about a month ago he went on a baby food strike and will only eat if he can feed himself.  It's frustrating right now because it's hard to find enough foods that are apropriate for him, but it'll be best in the long run.

At 4 he just needs to throw a fit and get over it.  I'm sorry to sound harsh, but unless he has some sort of special need that you didn't mention, then I'd say it's time to just do it.  Maybe if you're a more gentle style of parent, you can start with finger foods first and refuse to give them to him, then reintroduce utensils.  Just don't back down.  You are mama, you make the choices.

Quoting kate_jocelyn:

kristinaleann
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:09 PM

i agree, make him do it himself!

lverdone
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 10:54 AM

Why won't he use a fork?  Does he prefer finger foods?   Maybe a "fun" fork or spoon will help? 

gabesmomma05
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 12:15 PM

My son is 3 1/2 and we still have to do hand over hand feeding. He is delayed but I am not blaming it on that. Simply put, I fed him b/c I knew if he saw the foods I was feeding him, he would not eat them so I just got in the habit of feeding him. I have stopped that and he now does feed himself but like I said we do alot of hand over hand. I have to sit right there with him and coach him. Take the fork/spoon and put his hand in it then put your hand over his teach him how to scoop up the food and put it in his mouth. I hope this helps. I know how it. I just simply fed my son so that I knew he got the food.

boy on a swing         in love             expecting girl

Mother to Gabriel           Wife to Matthew              Mary Elisabeth

10/24/2005                         09/04/04                     Arrival Date: 05/28/09

anne85910
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 8:14 PM

thanks mommies, the thing is it's my SO kid. and he's kind of sensitive about my suggestions on how to better his son. I think he's too old for this. my SO will pick up food from his sons plate, take a little nibble of it, then feed it to his son. i hate it. i really think it should stop. i'll try to get him to make the kid feed himself. thanks.

kate_jocelyn
by on Apr. 10, 2009 at 1:16 AM

Yea that's definitely tough! I would find a good time to sit down and have a conversation about it. It's not "bettering" his son at all, it's simply teaching and training him up to be a responsible young man. But I hope you get things worked out with your hubby! Good luck :)

Quoting anne85910:

thanks mommies, the thing is it's my SO kid. and he's kind of sensitive about my suggestions on how to better his son. I think he's too old for this. my SO will pick up food from his sons plate, take a little nibble of it, then feed it to his son. i hate it. i really think it should stop. i'll try to get him to make the kid feed himself. thanks.

I'm a single, 18 year old, christian, breastfeeding, baby-wearing, co-sleeping, cloth-diapering, vax-delaying, stay-at-home, non-cry-it-out mama to my little miss Anabelle Mae, and I'm so proud of it!

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)