Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When are you suppose to stop the mid night feeding? *Update*

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:16 PM
  • 15 Replies

My dd is turning 1 in a little over a month and my husband is still waking me up at 5 in the morning to feed her. I feed her when I go to bed at 1. If I didn't wake her up to feed her she would sleep through the night. She doesn't wake up hungry and cry at 5, my husband just thinks I should feed her then. So when did you stop your child's mid night feeding? I will continue waking up and feeding her if I need to but I don't think it is neccesary because she isn't the one waking me up because she is hungry.

Update:

So I tried not waking her up the past two nights, the first night she woke up but that was because her daddy coughed really loud and when he saw that it had woke her up he started talking to her. So I had to feed her to get her back to sleep. The second night she slept 10-9 without waking up once so maybe we are done with the mid night feedings.

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kate_jocelyn
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:26 PM

Lol your crazy! I never woke my daughter in the middle of the night to feed her. You can definitely get by without waking her up, she's older than old enough. She may wake up on her own though if you dont wake her just because she's used to waking up in the night to eat.

I'm a single, 18 year old, christian, breastfeeding, baby-wearing, co-sleeping, cloth-diapering, vax-delaying, stay-at-home, non-cry-it-out mama to my little miss Anabelle Mae, and I'm so proud of it!

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Erika_Steele
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:28 PM

if he didn't wake up, he didn't get fed.  I always just fed on demand.

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker
my2boys700
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 8:18 AM

My little guy started sleeping through the night without being fed when he was about 3 months!  If she doesn't wake up...she's not hungry.

SamanthaAgain
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 8:31 AM

I agree with the others, you totally don't need to wake her up!  If she wakes up on her own (which she might out of habit) then I would go ahead and feed her, but you really really don't need to wake her up anymore.

rayraysmom
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 9:32 AM

my opinion is if they do not wake me up hungry then I let them sleep they are growing. keep waking them then when they are older it will be up in the middle of the night for a snack or drink. my son slept threw the night by 3 months. and I did n ot wake him.

toddler boy

crazy.gif

Sweetestgirl79
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 9:36 AM

both my daughters slept through the night at 5 weeks my first daughter i was really worried but asked the dr and he said it was fine...she will wake if she is hungry ....my little one is 6 months old in a few weeks and like i said was sleeping through the night at 5 weeks and i would never wake her she still sleeps right through..she eats at 800 pm and then dosent get up til 7am to eat sometimes 8am...and she is fine....17 pounds plus and growing...

lverdone
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 10:58 AM

I never woke my kid up to feed her.  She started sleeping through the night at 2 months (on breastmilk).   If shes sleeping through the night, let her sleep, no need to wake her up to feed her.

gabesmomma05
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 12:00 PM

Like my mother said, never wake a sleeping baby. If your daughter doesn't wake up hungry then she doesn't need to be fed. At 1 my son would wake up at night, talk to himself for a bit and then go back to sleep. If you continue to wake her up you may regret it later b/c then she will become acustom to waking her self and up and then expect to be fed. Then it will be like heck to break.

boy on a swing         in love             expecting girl

Mother to Gabriel           Wife to Matthew              Mary Elisabeth

10/24/2005                         09/04/04                     Arrival Date: 05/28/09

tigerlily08
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 3:25 PM

I thought you were suppose to let them sleep but my husband doesn't want her to go from 10 to 9  without eating but that is how long she sleeps. I don't like waking her up even at 1 when I am about to go to bed but Mark says she needs to eat every 4 hours. At one she goes right back to sleep probably becase she had just went to bed at 10 but then when I wake her up at 5 she stays up for a minimum of 30 mintues after her bottle. So I lose about 45 minutes-1 hour of sleep every night. I get up with her at 9 while my hubby stays in bed until 12-3 because he doesn't go to bed until 5. He doesn't feed her because he wait until he is about to go to bed, he wakes me up and says "Can you feed Sara? I'm too tired." I am not going to wake her up tonight and see how she does. If she does wake up then I will wake up and feed her and if she doesn't then I get to sleep a whole night straight for the first time since she has came home from the hospital.

SamanthaAgain
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 3:42 PM

Here's a handful of links to ease his mind.  She is more than ready to go that long without eating.  Of course if she wakes up hungry, then feed her.  (That's actually debatable, some parents wean from night time feeding younger than this)  But you are perfectly fine letting her sleep.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/baby-sleep/fl00118

http://www.helpingyourbabysleep.com/ (This one actually says it's BAD to feed after midnight, because it will set up bad sleep habits.  I'm not sure I agree with this, but I'm putting it here anyway)

http://babyparenting.about.com/cs/sleeping/a/newbornsleep.htm

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)