Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 20 month old has lice-how can I kill them??

Posted by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:03 PM
  • 19 Replies

I just found out today that my baby girl, 20 months old, has lice.  I had noticed her scratching her head an awful lot and me too, for that matter.  I checked her hair but because she doesnt stay still, I didnt do a good job and just thought it was dandruff cause she does have what looks like dandruff to me.  Today in church I told her godfather about it and he managed to check her and immediately told me it was lice.  Can anyone tell me how I can get them killed?  I don't think I am supposed to use an adult lice removal shampoo on her, or am I wrong?  Help!!

by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LoriAnn87
by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:05 PM

I would call you dr and ask if you can use that shampoo and if not what can you use to get ruid of them. 

JennyJuice
by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:21 PM

There are kid safe lice shampoos. I used to get it all the time as a kid....good thing is it means your daughter was really clean lol. Lice prefer clean hair because its easier to move around. The stuff that you saw that looked like dandruff was their eggs. Here is the problem though. once you do the shampoo you are going to have to take the comb the kit comes with and pick out every single lice and egg or they can come back. Im sure this is going to be challenging with a 20 month. So I would maybe give her a treat that she wouldnt normally get to sit still or something. Your doctor should be able to tell you what treatments are safe. Also ask what you can use around the house to make sure that all the eggs or lice that have been laid in the furniture or carpet are dead as well. wash all the sheets and pillows in hot water, throw away her brush if it is one that has the rubber because you cant properly sanitize those.  LEt me know if you have any questions :D

pregnancy
LavenderMom23
by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:27 PM

Our pedi had us use the adult one but said leave it on the scalp less time so it doesn't burn the skin.

Mommy2seven
by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:28 PM

Buy lice furniture spray.. and spray everything, strip her bed wash and dry, put any of her stuffed animals in a bag or throw in the dryer for 30minutes.  Soak any brushes and combs in alcohol or bleach for 30 minutes and then was her hair.. use a lice comb to completely comb through her hair repeat at least 3 times and then do this at least 1 - 2 times a day until you feel there are no more.  It just depends on how determined you are to get rid of them..

As for you do the same thing strip your bed wash dry ect.. but you can use the medicated shampoo on your self.  I just have to say though that if you don't treat the furniture/beds ect., you'll never get rid of them. 

When my daughters were little we had this problem with them going back and forth to their dads, so where they had gotten lice but their father did not treat the furniture/bedding ect so they kept getting them ugh.. it took us forever to finally get rid of them!  Good luck!

mommyblink5.gif Expecting Again 2 image by BlinkieMadness 
   ~~~Predicting a BOY~~~
❤6 weeks only 34 to go!❤
  ❤Due January 2010❤
  ♥35 and over pregnant moms♥
 ♥WANNA VENT?(Uncensored)♥

Darrymagu
by on May. 24, 2009 at 6:06 PM

Thank you girls for your advices.  I will definitely take her to the pediatrician first and take it from there.  YOu have all been very helpful.  To top it off, I just checked my 9 year old and you guessed it!!  He also hace the lice eggs.  I am going to check my husband now.  As for me, I truly believe I have it as well because my head has been itching terribly.  Thank you all!!

thank you

racefan1
by on May. 25, 2009 at 5:04 PM

i heard mayo works. you leave it in over night. not sure if true

Bobcatvalley
by on May. 25, 2009 at 5:56 PM

a home remedy my mother used on me was washing my hair with the plain brown lysterine. you will still have to pick the nits out.

ItalianMommy3
by on May. 25, 2009 at 11:56 PM

well for you i'd say use hair dye from the store b/c the chemicals can kill the lice and the eggs...but for your baby girl I had it one time when I think I was 9 or 10 and my mom washed my hair once with T-GEL hair shampoo (it smells awefull by the way) and then rinsed' it of course lol then put more in before i got out-latherd' it up and left it on all night..I woke up lice free (they were even on my pillow dead..of course make sure ya wash her hair out when she gets up and comb her hair out and get all the buggies out too) and try pure tea tree oil (its in the health food's isle at most stores') and just add it to her hair during the day or night..aww I wish you guys luck:) that crap (lice) is annoying!

Barbs_Avon
by on May. 26, 2009 at 4:00 PM

Mayo works great. Rub Real Mayonnaise thru her hair, then wrap her head (hair part) with plastic wrap. Wait about 10 minutes and rinse it out. We just went thru this, and the mayo worked great. I am an AVON lady, so I used SSS oil in some of my kids hair too, and that worked great. My older kids are biracial and some people like to say black people do not get lice. That is incorrect, but what is correct, lice like smooth fine hair, so the oil they can't stick too. The SSS also conditions the scalp which is great if they have been scratching a lot. The oil leaves the hair a little greasy, but on the upside mosquitoes will stay away also!

Good luck! Lice is a nightmare!!!! Off to scratch my head now! LOL

Barbs
Start your AVON business today
Take control of your income, your schedule and your future
www.start.youravon.com
Put bhixson in the reference code box to make sure you join a great team!

If you forgot Mom....send her a card and some brownies!
www.sendoutcards.com/63392
Barbs_Avon
by on May. 26, 2009 at 4:02 PM

LOL the word lice makes me scratch. Its kind of like the word yawn...makes you yawn!

Hope you are lice and nit free by now!

Barbs
Start your AVON business today
Take control of your income, your schedule and your future
www.start.youravon.com
Put bhixson in the reference code box to make sure you join a great team!

If you forgot Mom....send her a card and some brownies!
www.sendoutcards.com/63392
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)