Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

cow's milk

Posted by on May. 24, 2009 at 8:57 PM
  • 14 Replies

My pediatrician told me Friday that when Bella is 10 months old to start giving her cow's milk.  I think this is b/c she is so over weight.  She's about 23-25lbs. and turned 8mo today.  I breastfeed her on-demand and the doc says breast milk is 50% fat(so that's why she's so chunky)

Anyway, have any of you given cow's milk before they are 1?  With my first, he was1yo when I gave him cow's milk. 

by on May. 24, 2009 at 8:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momof3at23
by on May. 24, 2009 at 9:58 PM

I wouldn't do it.  She is getting the best thing possible ( BM ), why give her cow's milk?  Doctors are never happy, babies are either to skinny or to fat.  Keep doing what you are doing, congrats for making it so long nursing! 

AshleyOlson
by on May. 24, 2009 at 10:02 PM

i wouldn't start cows milk until after one year. i agree with the pp. doctors aren't always right. i don't change any part of my dd's diet without talking to a NUTRITIONIST first.

AshleyOlson
by on May. 24, 2009 at 10:05 PM

AND, even if your daughter is "over weight" (which i don't think any BF baby really are), BM is still the best thing for her!! she is gaining so much immunity and good nutrients from your milk, cows milk is NO comparison!!

congrats on still BF!!!

pajunfur
by on May. 24, 2009 at 10:55 PM

I think BM is best but I couldnt and I started my son on cows milk when he was 7 months old along with formula.  He is big for his age but not chunky he is very tall, my dr said that he is very healthy.

oxley12
by on May. 25, 2009 at 2:37 PM

I wouldnt give cows milk until after the age of one! I can cause food allergies to develope! Youre giving the best thing possible by giving breast milk.  My daughter was slightly over weight until she was almost 18 months and she was breast feed!!! Once babies start walking and running around alot of that "baby fat" goes away!! I would stick to breast milk and wait til after a year old for cows milk

Sarah51905
by on May. 25, 2009 at 3:46 PM

I agree! Plus cow's milk has alot of sugars in it actually and can add more weight on, the BM is better. Keep doing what you are doing.

Quoting oxley12:

I wouldnt give cows milk until after the age of one! I can cause food allergies to develope! Youre giving the best thing possible by giving breast milk.  My daughter was slightly over weight until she was almost 18 months and she was breast feed!!! Once babies start walking and running around alot of that "baby fat" goes away!! I would stick to breast milk and wait til after a year old for cows milk

ashybaby87
by on May. 25, 2009 at 3:48 PM

I agree...

Quoting oxley12:

asyoulikeit
by on May. 25, 2009 at 5:47 PM

Breast milk is about 4% fat (it can go higher depending on the mother's diet).  It is true that 50% of the calories come from fat, maybe that's what he meant, but it's far from the same thing.  Keep breast feeding until one year, then switch to cow's' milk.  If her weight is an issue, there must be other ways of addressing it.  Is it possible to see another pediatrician?

"Cow's milk isn't as rich in several nutrients, especially iron, as breast milk or formula, which is important for healthy first year development. Until the baby is eating a variety of iron-rich foods, feeding breast milk or commercially prepared formula ensures that the baby will get a sufficient amount of iron. Additionally, there is evidence suggesting that the early introduction of cow's milk increases the chances of developing diabetes later in life. This is especially important in families with a history of the disease. Finally, children who switch to cow's milk before their first birthday have higher incidences of allergies and eczema than those who wait."

deira
by on May. 26, 2009 at 11:04 AM

I would follow your dr's advice.  If you don't agree with it, discuss it with him...Things like this are best discussed and decided between you and your ped.  That being said, my sister in law put her dd on whole milk around 9 or 10 mos and she was fine.  I started my dd at 12 mo and my son between 10 and 11 mos.  They are both fine, healthy and very smart...

McClurgmama2
by on May. 26, 2009 at 11:12 AM

I started my son on whole milk the same time he switched to the sippy cup at 11 months.He had no problems at all,he loved the whole milk.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)