• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to get your toddler take his medicine

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 12:39 AM
  • 2 Replies

Our son has to take antibiotics (liquid), but he doesn't like them. It's always a fight and he spits everything out. I tried to sneak it in his juice/kakao, but he found out and won't drink it anymore. Do you have any tips what to do?

Thanks a lot

Sabine

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 12:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
lundaylove
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 9:49 AM

you can put it in applesauce, chocolate milk, or you can be "mean" and hold him down tilt his head back and squirt it into the very back of his mouth towards his throat, he'll have no choice but to swallow it. I have to give my girls medicine every day since they were born, they are now 29 months, and so ive done it all. GL!

CrystalDawn2506
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 11:02 AM

I have told my DD even when she was an infant that her medication was num num's Which she knows its medication now but still calls them num num's LOL. But it helped in the sense it didn't or doesn't seem scary to her . I would say that it was her num num's then follow what it was ( tylenol , antibiotic or what ever lol ) and what it will help with to make what boo boo better . I was scared of medication when I was a kid up til I was a teen and I didn't want that to happen with her so I talked about it more positive . My mom and dad called it medication or by name only and try to do scare tactics for us to take it . And what the word medication put in my mind was Dr's and shots so I freaked out . So maybe try to call it something that he would understand its is medication but where he wouldn't freak out so much. And tell him what it helps make which thing better in his body . Some kids are just fearful also so if it comes down to it have someone help you give it to him . My nieces was that way 2 people had to give them meds , one person holding them and the other person with the med . Good luck and I hope he gets better with taking meds =  ] .

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)