Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

swallowed a penny

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 10:21 AM
  • 2 Replies

 Advice please? I think August (18 months) swallowed a penny last night. My cousin was changing her diaper and she started choaking; my cousin jearked her up and she swallowed whatever she was choaking on. We're pretty sure it was a penny since she had one in her hand a few minutes before, wanting to put it in her bank. Should I be worried? I know to watch for it in her diaper, but could it get stuck in her intestines or anything, or could the copper cause any kind of poisioning? I'm just so worried now. I remember I swallowed a penny when I was younger and it passed so I wasn't really worried when it happened, but now that I think about it more...................... She's much smaller than I was when I swallowed one, so could it get stuck? Should I take her to the ER for Xrays or anything? Somebody please tell me what I should do, and put my mind at ease.

by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 10:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
SamanthaAgain
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 10:28 AM

I quick google search is telling me that this is super common.  The only danger I'm seeing is an obstruction, or supposedly it can cause ulcers if it stays in the stomach.  I'd say just watch her poop for a few days.  You could call the doctor in the morning to set your mind at ease, but as long as things keep moving  and you find it in the next 2-3 days, then I don't think you have anything to worry about. 

Follow me to learn about Cloth Diapering and why I choose to give my son choice.

newmom2be08
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 4:36 PM

I would call the pedi and run it by them.  They are the experts.  Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)