Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Waking from sleep all of a sudden

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:09 PM
  • 6 Replies

For the past 3 weeks, my 18 month old son started waking in the middle of the night crying.  He normally would always sleep through the night.  He knows how to soothe himself, as I put him to bed totally awake.  But in the recent 3 weeks, he's been waking up crying in the middle of the night and won't stop until I come in.  All he seems to need is for me to lay him back down, put his bink in his mouth, cover him and rub his back for a minute.  He's not completely "out" when I leave the room and he falls back to sleep.  I don't know what to make out of this?  He doesn't seem to be in pain because if he was, he wouldn't go back down so easily.  Could it be a nightmare?  I couldn't even imagine what could upset him?  Could it be that he just wants to be soothed by someone?  And if so, why now?  I know there is no real answer, but has anyone experienced this sudden change in sleep pattern...any ideas why this may be happening and any advice?

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
h_anne88
by on Jul. 29, 2009 at 12:57 AM

i have recently had a similar situation with my 13mo dd. she is waking in the middle of the night and not calming till i put her in bed with me. her crib is also still in our bedroom so dh will leave the bedroom after she wakes up bc i try to let her c.i.o.  but it is definatley odd. i wish she would stay asleep all night again.

MommyRoberts626
by on Jul. 29, 2009 at 1:07 AM

It could be night terrors. There is nothing you can really do for them, but just soothe them.

AHamrick
by on Jul. 29, 2009 at 1:13 AM

My dd who is also 18 months old has recently started doing this as well. Not every night, but occasionally. I've been wondering if it is nightmares? I don't really know what else it could be. But what can an 18 month old be having nightmares about? Idk! Just wanted to let you know I'm in the same boat.

Mikeysmom1001
by on Jul. 29, 2009 at 8:48 PM

My son has recently started doing this also. I open his door and tell him Mommy loves you and I'll see you in the morning. Lay down and go night night. And so far that's worked. If he doesn't go back to sleep and continues to cry then I'll go get him.

michael.gif

kenzie07
by on Jul. 30, 2009 at 4:36 PM

Quoting MommyRoberts626:

It could be night terrors. There is nothing you can really do for them, but just soothe them.

This was my answer as well.  A lot of children suffer from them and there's no medical or psycholigical conclusion for why they occur in most kiddos. 

lverdone
by on Jul. 31, 2009 at 8:52 AM

With night terrors they do not wake up.  they may appear to be awake - standing up, eyes open, flailing about and screaming - but they are not awake and have no memory of it.  They have no idea you are in the room.  My daughter sometimes wakes up after a nightterror (not normally), but she just lies there and goes back to sleep right away.  

With nightmares they do wake up, and have memory of what happened and will resist falling asleep again. 

could it be teething?  The 2 year molars may be starting and he may just need a little bit of comfort to fall back asleep.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)