• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

baby fell off the bed guilt

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:12 PM
  • 29 Replies

My 10 month old fell off our bed today and I feel so terrible. I know it happens to most mothers, but I still feel so guilty. I was still putting him on my bed for naps b/c he always wakes up when I put him in the crib. He's never tried to get off after his nap, he always makes noise I go in there right away. I guess I didn't hear him b/c my 6 yr old was throwing a fit and making a lot of noise. I went and put laundry in the dryer and heard a noise, I walked in more and my 7 yr old took off running to the bedroom so I did too. Poor thing was just laying there screaming! I feel so sad thinking about it!! He's fine except for a little lump on his head...but I can't get over it. I need some stories about it happening to others!

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TLVS
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:15 PM

Oh God, I know how you feel.  My 9 month old fell down our stairs and I thought I was going to have a heart attack.  I probably cried more than she did.  I am not talking about 3-4 steps either.  She fell down our basement steps.  I opened the door for our cat to go down and I forgot to shut it because my son was being naughty and I went and put him into timeout.  I spaced it and she crawled over and down she went.  Luckily she was fine.  Only a little scratch on her forehard and one on her leg.  I have no idea how, but we were so lucky.  I swear I am a good mother, most of the time.  It makes you feel so terrible. 

PaigeAlysse
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:25 PM

When Damien was about 12 months, we were playing, he was on our bed, I was standing next to it. He scooted back, then went to sit down right on the edge! I lunged forward to grab him, but missed by a hair. He hit the floor and bawled! I felt bad, but he was okay after a bit, and was right back at it.

americaztopmami
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:27 PM

Oh trust me - I know the feeling. My daughter had to have been around 5-6 mos when it happened but my bed is very high! She slept w/ me in my bed up until 6 mos old (broke that habit after she fell off the bed) and one night, I woke up to a big thud and it was my daughter! BUT, because she had many angels w/ her, she actually feel on pillows (the pillows fell down w/ her). Now tell me that isn't a coincidence? She could of seriously hurt herself but nope, not even 1 scratch on her!!!!! She was just startled then anything but geeze, can't blame her, I would be startled too if that's how I woke up!!!

jeramiahsmom808
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:31 PM

my baby fell off the bed several times.  i know the first time i was like omg. i know that if people hear of him falling off the bed then i shouldnt sleep with him but he is like deathly scared of his crib.  we have this litle double bed and someone always ends up too close to the edge. 

Lilypie

Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker
jeramiahsmom808
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:33 PM

oh and my boyfriend was changing our baby and thank god for the stack of diapers right next to it.  he was on a gracko pack and play and he never sits still for diper changes and womp down he goes. 

Lilypie

Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker
VBKL
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:36 PM

my little man fell off when he was around 10/11 months old..he went head first into our alarm clock on the floor, that was the worst thing ever.. i felt so bad for him i alsmot cried.. also he got caught inbetween our bed and the wall and just kinda hung out there  i felt so bad.. but it happens

tndrhrtlvr84
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:39 PM

OMG!!! ALL of my kids have fallen off the bed!!! My daughter was 6 months when it happend and she stayed asleep after falling, my middle son was napping also and he just crawled off and fell, he cried but when i got him he stopped and crawled off to the other room, and my lil boy who is 2 rolled off the bed at 8 months he laughed about it though, so i dnt know whats wrong with him. BUT they are all fine now and fall off the bed even more now that they are older.

rainstorms
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:47 PM

This has happened so many times to my son throughout his 3 years of life. I have even put bumpers around him. He sleeps so deep that he just rolls off the bed and wakes up screaming. I feel so bad but I know it happens.

Nikki D (me)

Jadyn matthew (3 1/2 yo boy)

Caleb Nickolas (otw)

CafeMom Tickers

ballewal
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:52 PM

Happened to my daughter at right around 9 months. We were in the middle of a move and she would wake up hysterical in the middle of the night, so I would bring her into bed with me. The night before the move, she woke up before me, climbed over me, and fell off the bed. It happens, but we feel horrible when it does.

I am a liberal, non-CIO, formula feeding because it was necessary, pro-choice, pro-gay and straight unions, social libertarian, unitarian universalist, theosophist, free range, educated single mother of one beautiful girl who is my entire life.

Keisha0806
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 3:59 PM

Aww mama, I'm so sorry. Kendall fell off our bed twice. But we caught her both times before she hit the gound. Just this past Friday, she is 12 mos, and I am 20 weeks pregnant, she tried to scoot off of the bed, I was in the walk in, i turned around and saw her legs dangling like she was trying to reach for the ground, but it was about 1 foot beneath her and we have hard wood floors. I screamed and ran over to her, right when she let go I caught her, but I slid into the bed and fell in my back. Thankfully me and baby are fine.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)