Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

FRUSTRATED! sleeping issues HELP!

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 9:38 AM
  • 3 Replies

My 11 month old has always been a not so good sleeper at night, and only takes 2 30 minute naps during the day. Up until recently I was still breastfeeding at night, so the 1st time he would wake up I'd put him in bed with us and then give him the boob every time he woke up. It worked really good actually. Well, a couple weeks ago I started to wean him at night (trying to get my period back so I can get prego again). I don't know if it has anything to do with it...but not long after he's started to wake up practically every 10 mins whimpering and twisting and turning. We'll pick him up and rock or reposition him and then he'll go back to sleep...until next time. If we don't get him right away it will turn into a full cry. I just don't understand! We're not getting ANY sleep at night! We've tried the chair, the bed, the rocker, bottle, no bottle, and have even slipped him the boob again a couple times. Nothing works! I'm getting so frustrated. I've noticed that when he does it he's not actually awake, and if he were to wake up completely he stops. It's like it's an inbetween sleep thing. But seriously...every 10 mins all night long! It's getting to the point where I'm dreading the night!

Does anyone have any suggestions?

by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 9:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Mommy2seven
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:27 AM

Sorry I don't have any suggestions.. but it does sound like he is dreaming or something if he is not completely awake.. does he take a pacifier?  I sure hope its just one of those things that passes soon hun...  

newmom2be08
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 1:20 PM

He's probably experiencing separation anxiety.   Our 14 month-old son is going through that right now too.  I get up with him about every three hours every night.  We are trying to train him to sleep in the crib and soothe himself back to sleep.  I am so sleep deprived right now.  It's like clockwork...he wakes up every night about the same time.  The best advice I can give is to let him whimper or cry a bit, then go and get him, reassure him that you are there and everything is okay.  When my DH gets up with him on the weekends he takes him to the rocking chair to get him back to sleep.  When I go to get him I usually pick him up and rock with him while standing for about 5-10 minutes.  I try not to use the rocking chair as I don't want him to get used to that habit.  The goal is to put him down drowsy, but awake and NOT take him out of the crib or he'll think that whenever he cries, he'll get picked up and rocked back to sleep.  I know how you feel...hang in there momma! 

PurpleStar
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 1:48 PM

is it possible that he may have an ear infection... That can make it very difficult for them to sleep. I'd take him to th e doctor just to check.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)