Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Feeding Tips for my 8 month old

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 1:21 PM
  • 4 Replies

I have an 8 month old daughter who is in the 90th percentile for her height and weight. I had her at 38 weeks and she was still 8lbs and 3 oz. Can anyone suggest a feeding schedule for her? The only reason I ask is because it appears she is still hungry and is now NOT sleeping through the night. We have made some mistakes by letting her sleep in our bed (even though I didn't want her to I didn't stand firm with my dh so i'm taking the blame too) at night and/or rocking her to sleep. So now when she's put in her crib she wakes up in the middle of the night crying wanting us to pick her up and hold her. Anyway, that's another issue and I'm starting a new schedule today with my entire family armed and ready for this battle. They are all aware of what is going to take place and are now all on the same page. What I really need to know is if I'm giving her enough to eat. Do you have a schedule you follow? I know every baby is different, but I'm trying to see what works for others.

Some say don't give her a bottle before she goes to bed (which I do a half hour before I put her in her crib) while others say it's okay. She used to sleep though the night so I stopped feeding her in the middle of the night when she started that. Now that she wakes up I don't feed her a bottle.

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT!

by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 1:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
newagemom700
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 1:28 PM

Dont give her a bottle in her crib or before bed....you will regreat it like you do having her sleep w/ you....its a hard habit to break (i just recently had to break this habit) The only thing i can really say is when she wakes up in the middle of the night, just keep putting her back in the crib....it will be stressful, but eventually she will become more familiar with the crib. as far as the feeding goes....I mixed the baby food with rice cereal. It seemed to fill my DS more (he is a big eater anyways though) so you could try that....sorry im not much help...but i know the mixing rice cereal in the food helped us

lundaylove
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 1:29 PM

while our schedule has been off the last few weeks due to illness here we pretty much will stick to having 8 oz bottles of formula every 4 hours, with 1/2 jar of baby food in between those times but only 3 times a day. Normally its wake up around 9, baby food at 9:30. bottle 2 hours later. then its baby food at 2 with bottle 2 hours later. and we go from there. We will do snacks like cheerios or puffs too if he just wants a snack when he seems to want food but its not meal time. we do give him a bottle before bed but he normally wont wake up during the night. Oh and he goes to sleep at 8:30-9pm

awesome young navy wife and mom to bouncing mom crazy kiddos under 3 years old who will rear face until the limits of their seats cuz I know its 5x safer to rear face longer!

nessarod21
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 1:32 PM

Thanks! We've never given her a bottle in her crib it only has been about a half hour before we put her down for the night. Honestly, I think there is too much going on in my house so she doesn't want to sleep. I have a 15 yr. 13 yr. and a 10 yr. and I tell them to be quiet, but I also don't want her to get used to sleeping with no noise so I need her to get used to the noise. We just need  to be consistant. UGH!!! LOL

Quoting newagemom700:

Dont give her a bottle in her crib or before bed....you will regreat it like you do having her sleep w/ you....its a hard habit to break (i just recently had to break this habit) The only thing i can really say is when she wakes up in the middle of the night, just keep putting her back in the crib....it will be stressful, but eventually she will become more familiar with the crib. as far as the feeding goes....I mixed the baby food with rice cereal. It seemed to fill my DS more (he is a big eater anyways though) so you could try that....sorry im not much help...but i know the mixing rice cereal in the food helped us

nessarod21
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 1:38 PM

How old is your son? I've been looking at suggested feeding schedules and they all are saying they should be eating more solid foods as they get older. My daughter is still drinking about 28-32 oz of formula as well as food.

Quoting lundaylove:

while our schedule has been off the last few weeks due to illness here we pretty much will stick to having 8 oz bottles of formula every 4 hours, with 1/2 jar of baby food in between those times but only 3 times a day. Normally its wake up around 9, baby food at 9:30. bottle 2 hours later. then its baby food at 2 with bottle 2 hours later. and we go from there. We will do snacks like cheerios or puffs too if he just wants a snack when he seems to want food but its not meal time. we do give him a bottle before bed but he normally wont wake up during the night. Oh and he goes to sleep at 8:30-9pm

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)