Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

8 month old taking mini naps

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 1:50 PM
  • 4 Replies

She has always only taken short naps about 3 times a day... I also have a 3 yr old and it takes me 15 minutes of rocking to get her to sleep meanwhile I'm concerned my other daughter is doing something bad and not to mention when I finaly lie her down she immediately cries and sometimes won't even nap...How do I get her to sleep longer. I can't get anything done

by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 1:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
newmom2be08
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 2:07 PM

Is she learning a new task such as crawling or cruising?  Sometimes they refuse to sleep or even eat because all they want to do is practice their new found freedom.  If that is not the case, could outside noise be waking her up?  I have a sound machine to drown out any noisy neighbors, which we have 4 boys around the age of 12 near us usually playing basketball, shooting off fireworks (yes, even in August!) or just being loud.  If I didn't have that sound machine, our son would wake up constantly.   

bbrackett
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 2:10 PM

My 8 month old has 2 naps during the day for a couple hours each. You might want to take one of the naps away so your baby will sleep longer at a time.  I give my baby a bottle so she doesn't cry but if she's not tired she will stand up and cry.

bonnielauper
by on Aug. 13, 2009 at 1:48 PM

If she can learn to fall asleep on her own without being rocked, it will free you up from rocking her, and it will actually help her sleep longer, because if she wakes up during a nap but is still tired, she will be able to go back to sleep on her own. I would recommend some form of sleep training to help her learn to fall asleep on her own. I used a mild cry-it-out method (Ferber) which worked wonders, but I know some people have strong feelings against any cry-it-out. There are other supposed "no-cry" methods but I don't know how they work. :)

tramcd
by on Aug. 14, 2009 at 2:42 PM

I have had the same problem with my 8 1/2 month old son.  I just started putting him in his crib when he gets tired and letting him fuss for a bit.  The first day for five minutes then went back up and let hime know i was there and each time just increased the time between my going up and giving back his passy and patting him for a minute.  I still have the problem with him staying asleep for more than 30 to 45 minutes.  He will wake up and only go back to sleep on me, and not in his crib.  It is driving me nuts.  I need a little time to myself.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)