Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toothless Wonder....

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 5:02 PM
  • 4 Replies

My DD isjust hitting 10 months. She LOVES food and we've been slowly introducing her to more varieties, but we've hit a roadblock. I'm running out of mushy stuff to feed her. And she still doesn't have any teeth. She was born right on time at 7lb 14oz and now weighs a rather hefty 21, but I'm nervous to give her most of the foods that my oldest was eating at this point. Does anyone else have a child this age without teeth? If so, do you have any suggestions on foods she can feed herself other than bananas?

by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 5:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
blazinnmilf
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 6:57 PM

Hi. My daughter is 14 months old.....

She didn't start getting her teeth till she was about 10.5 months old. Now she has 12 so don't worry, your DD will get them soon enough.

As for food....my DD has been eating table foods since she was 7.5 months old. She REFUSED puree foods after that age so I had to feed her regular foods. I was giving her anything and everything, as long as she didn't have to tear it, she could eat it. You don't have to stick to just mushy foods. If you tear the food to pieces about the size of her thumbnail, and it is something that either dissolves easily, or you can mash between your thumb and index finger, than it is fine. One of my DD's favorite lunches at that age was a bologna and cheese sandwich. I would tear up 1 slice of bread, 1 slice of cheese, and a half a piece of bologna into bitesize pieces and give it to her in a pile on her tray and she would go to town. It's like that with any food. Pasta with a TINY amount of sauce (to minimize mess). Ravioli cut up. Rice, Steamed veggies, cut up fruit...even pancakes in bite size pieces. Shredded chicken, ground beef, mashed potatos, mac n cheese, etc, etc. I was giving DD anything we were eating but in bite sized pieces. As long as it didn't have tons of sodium or spice. and has non of the no-nos....no nuts, no hard pieces (like fresh carrots), no eggs....(even though egg yolk is supposed to be ok at this age, my DD was eating scrambled egg yolks at 10 months and a full scrambled egg at 11 months)....um...crap I can't remember any more no-nos.

Anyway, hope that helps....just watch your DD very carefully and have fun!

Becky

ashybaby87
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 7:17 PM

You got all the food i was going to suggest. My daughter especially loves veggies... & when she was younger she LOVED sweet potatoes (shes 18 months now)

Quoting blazinnmilf:

Hi. My daughter is 14 months old.....

She didn't start getting her teeth till she was about 10.5 months old. Now she has 12 so don't worry, your DD will get them soon enough.

As for food....my DD has been eating table foods since she was 7.5 months old. She REFUSED puree foods after that age so I had to feed her regular foods. I was giving her anything and everything, as long as she didn't have to tear it, she could eat it. You don't have to stick to just mushy foods. If you tear the food to pieces about the size of her thumbnail, and it is something that either dissolves easily, or you can mash between your thumb and index finger, than it is fine. One of my DD's favorite lunches at that age was a bologna and cheese sandwich. I would tear up 1 slice of bread, 1 slice of cheese, and a half a piece of bologna into bitesize pieces and give it to her in a pile on her tray and she would go to town. It's like that with any food. Pasta with a TINY amount of sauce (to minimize mess). Ravioli cut up. Rice, Steamed veggies, cut up fruit...even pancakes in bite size pieces. Shredded chicken, ground beef, mashed potatos, mac n cheese, etc, etc. I was giving DD anything we were eating but in bite sized pieces. As long as it didn't have tons of sodium or spice. and has non of the no-nos....no nuts, no hard pieces (like fresh carrots), no eggs....(even though egg yolk is supposed to be ok at this age, my DD was eating scrambled egg yolks at 10 months and a full scrambled egg at 11 months)....um...crap I can't remember any more no-nos.

Anyway, hope that helps....just watch your DD very carefully and have fun!

Becky

KenzieRoosMom
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 9:27 PM

I totally understand!

My DD was 9 mos before she got her first tooth and didn't get another one until she was 13 months ( now she's catching up  and has 12).

Here's what I learned from both the dentist and the pediatrician about food:
Babies don't get their back teeth until sometime between 1 and 2 years of age. That means that, until then, even if they have ALL of their front teeth, they are still using those gums to mash food. And they are good at it. So as long as you are cutting the food up into tiny pieces, she can have a lot of table foods even with out teeth. When she gets those front teeth in, the bite sizes can get a little bigger.
Even with my DD teething as last as she did, she refused anything pureed at 8 months and went onto table foods ( and formula, of course). Wtih the appropriate sized pieces of food, she never had issues eating table food.

Granted, if you are worried, start with things like chunks of avocado and banana...chunks of bread and work your way to other foods,.

I hope this helps! At least you get to see that toothy grin longer!

" Your children will become what you are; so be what you want them to be."
David Bly

KaileezMom
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:47 PM

My DD did not get any teeth until just after she turned 10 months, but she got two together.

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)