Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

12-month old 3-6 a.m. feedings

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 6:09 PM
  • 8 Replies

My son just turned one, and my doc said to start him on whole milk.  The problem is that he still wakes up for a 6 oz bottle between 3 and 6 a.m.  My doc suggested that I give him some water to get him to go back to sleep.  I've tried soothing him and giving him his pacifier, but he screams until he gets a bottle.  I really don't think water is going to cut it.  Should I give him milk in a cup or something else?

by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 6:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
sstepph
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 6:36 PM

My son turns 1 on Saturday and he is breastfed still and he wakes up usually around 3 to nurse still and then is up for the day at 6am. I've tried milk but he just isnt interested at the moment so I'm still going to breastfeed. He nurses probably 5-6 times a day sometimes still.

I guess I am no help for ya (: sorry!

KenzieRoosMom
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 9:20 PM

Since he's going to be have a change in his routine ( with the addition of whole milk), I'd just continue to offer him the night time feedings until he get used to the whole milk. If you try to change too much at once, he might reject the milk...if that makes sense.

Once he's gotten used to the change, I'd just wean down one night time feeding and then the other. At a year, he's comforted by the feeding but doesn't phsyically need it. It will mean a rough few days, but you can do it if you decide.

You can wean down ounce by ounce over a few nights one feeding at a time or you can go cold turkey...

I hope this helps!

" Your children will become what you are; so be what you want them to be."
David Bly

newmom2be08
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:14 PM

Can you try giving him cereal along with his bedtime bottle?  We do that sometimes with our 14 month-old son just to fill his belly before he goes to sleep. 

mommy_mpoon
by on Aug. 13, 2009 at 12:53 AM

Our Ped suggested that we make sure child was fed full during the day through dinner, then offer 5-8oz of  milk 30 min before bedtime.

momtorussell
by on Aug. 13, 2009 at 9:19 AM

We still give our 15 month old a bottle in the middle of the night.  He is thirsty!  I get thirsty sometimes too, so we just get up, change his diaper, rock him a bit and 5-10 minutes later, we are all sound asleep again.  My parents have both gotten up in the middle of the night for as long as I can remember to get a drink and go to the bathroom.  Why do we expect a baby to go all night without doing the same?

bonnielauper
by on Aug. 13, 2009 at 2:14 PM

My 13 month old still gets up around 5:30 (sometimes earlier, actually the 3-6 window pretty much covers it) to nurse. I am only nursing him 3 times a day, and  I don't think he would go back to sleep without this one, so I'm not ready to give it up yet. He also won't drink whole milk. So...I'm no help, huh?

Lyricj0627
by on Aug. 13, 2009 at 2:19 PM

My son turned 1 the end of June and it took about 2 days to switch him from formula to whole milk. He hasn't had a nighttime feeding since he was about 5 months so I am no help there but to get him to switch to a cup I put just a little nesquick powder in the milk. Its okay for them and it gives extra calcium. GL.

Mikeysmom1001
by on Aug. 14, 2009 at 3:31 PM

I had the same problem with my son and my Doc said the same thing about giving him water when he woke up. We did and within a week he was sleeping through the night!

Quoting SkiMomma21:

My son just turned one, and my doc said to start him on whole milk.  The problem is that he still wakes up for a 6 oz bottle between 3 and 6 a.m.  My doc suggested that I give him some water to get him to go back to sleep.  I've tried soothing him and giving him his pacifier, but he screams until he gets a bottle.  I really don't think water is going to cut it.  Should I give him milk in a cup or something else?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)