Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

breaking a "needy" baby?

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 8:42 PM
  • 3 Replies

DS will be 6 months old on Thursday (8-13-09) and just seems to be VERY dependent lately. DH and I went away for the weekend and he stayed at Grandma's for that weekend. Now, he isnt happy unless you are holding him and rocking him to sleep. Before, he would sleep through the whole night and now he wakes up at 3am wanting a bottle! Of course my MIL claims he slept all night and she didnt let him sleep in her bed, but the way he is acting tells me otherwise. I'll take any advice...please.

by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 8:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
twoxmom
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 8:57 PM

does he have any teeth yet? that could cause fussiness. alos when babies are learningnew things they tend to wake more. like when they are about to learn to crawl or roll over they wake in the night because they are restless there bodies want to do the new "tricks" and they don't know that they should be sleeping. It should pass just be patient and don't give in and gie him a bottle if he hasn't been haveng one at night or it will turn into a habit.

KenzieRoosMom
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 9:16 PM

I agree with PP, I could be any number of things at this age. My advice is to remain consistent with him, don't start any new habits that you'll later have to break .  If having you gone has upset his trust, I would be sure to respond to his cries promptly, but  keep middle of the night wakenings short and quiet/boring with out really adding in anything new.

Babies also have habits of upseting the apple cart  just when you've settled into a routine( mine did anyway). Babies often go in and out of their routines for various reasons ( teething, reaching new milestones, illness) but if you remain consistent, he'll get back to his old ways.

I hope this helps and things get back to normal!

" Your children will become what you are; so be what you want them to be."
David Bly

momtorussell
by on Aug. 13, 2009 at 9:15 AM

Sounds like he missed his mommy.  I say it is just a phase and he is waking worried you will leave again.  The kid was with you 24/7 for 9 months, then was taken from your belly and thrust into the world and at 6 months you left him for a weekend.  The kid is bound to be sad you weren't around.  Take it as a good thing that your baby is emotionally attached to you.  Some aren't so lucky.  What a love you have on your hands!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)