Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

the going rate for babysitting

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:27 PM
  • 9 Replies

I am just about to start back to work for a couple hours a week...no big deal. We have a reliable and trustworthy babysitter for the timebeing (until she gets a "real" job! haha)  The problem is that I have no idea what we should pay her.  I know her from college, so she is a friend but I don't want to pay her too little because we are friends.  However, one reason I am going back to work is because we need the money so I don't want to pay her too much because, well, we need it.  

She will be babysitting for us occationally, when my husband is unable to keep our daughter...so...

what do you all think?

for those who have babysitters...if you don't mind saying...what do you pay your babysitter?  

I really need some help here!  When I babysat (and I never had just one child, I always had at least two or three, sometimes more) I made anywhere from 5-10 dollars/hour.  Depending on how many kids and how well I knew the people. and that was years ago so I have no idea what the "going rate" is...

HELP!!!!

CafeMom Tickers
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
angelicangel09
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 11:02 PM

When i did Child care here in MO, full time kids i had was 125.00 a week.

chuckees_luvee
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 11:04 PM

I just started watching my friends baby 1 night a week and she pays me $6/hr.

momtorussell
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 9:42 AM

Depends if your child is the only one.  If so, then you are normally expected to pay more because your child is getting one on one attention.  If not, then the going rate for in home daycare here in KY and OH is about $100-$125 now that the economy is bad.  Before that, the going rate for in home daycare was $125-160.  The daycare centers are more, so you can't base the price on that.

tomkat3
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 10:00 AM
I work on Saturdays 8-1pm and therefore need a sitter on a regular basis. I have a few sitters that work at my daughters daycare. I end up paying them 8 dollars an hour for 2 girls 1 & 3 1/2 and sometimes my 9 yr old son. But sometimes it's just the 1 yr old.
bananah0505
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 7:25 PM

thanks for the input everyone!!

ballewal
by on Aug. 27, 2009 at 11:16 AM

Ten dollars an hour. She has a masters in education and a lot of experience.

I am a liberal, non-CIO, formula feeding because it was necessary, pro-choice, pro-gay and straight unions, social libertarian, unitarian universalist, theosophist, free range, educated single mother of one beautiful girl who is my entire life.

kpwith3
by on Aug. 27, 2009 at 11:49 AM

I have a daycare provider here in CT who is licenced and she charges $175 a week for full time or $40 per day for part time.  I think it might be easier for you to sit with your friend and decide if you are going to pay her an hourly, daily, or weekly rate. Depending on how many hours a week you are going to be working you might be able to find an amount that works for both of you.

JaysWifey06
by on Aug. 27, 2009 at 12:13 PM

i was just babysitting for my brother-in-law and i had his 7 yr old and his 3 month old and we decided on 60 for the whole week cause i knew he didnt have much money cause his wife just got back to work and she actually didnt get a couple paychecks because she had to pay for her insurance but if it was only a couple days not a whole week i would have proably cut it in half for him... I hope that helps

pregnancy
mamad122
by on Aug. 27, 2009 at 12:23 PM

I am wondering the same thing. We are leaving our 1 yo with a babysitter for the first time (in laws usually keep her) this Saturday night and DH thinks $9 an hour is a good price. It will be for at least 9 hours so that's going to be over $80 for one night!! Sooo glad we don't have to do this often!

Pregnancy Ticker 

in love    toddler girl  expecting baby
 Jeremy & Nicole      Shae        Thane OR Joslin
       7-14-07          7-13-08
          12-21-09

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)