Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

9 Month old wont sleep!!! help?!

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:40 PM
  • 6 Replies

i have a 9 month old son i cant get him to sleep period ive tried waking him up early putting him down for a nap at about 1-2pm and put him to bed between 9-10 pm but he refuses to go to bed!!! ive tried CIO he just screams for the whole time stands up in his bed and pulls stuff off his dresser and screams at it. im at a loss of what to do it seems car rides work really well but it drains our bank acct in a matter of days!! help me please!

Lovin' my Soldier night and day

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
bonitamomma3
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:45 PM

we are having the same exact problem!!!  my son is nine months and before he was able to just go to sleep on his own.  Now we have to rock him to sleep.  and when he wakes up in the middle of the night he stands in his crib and doesn't know how to get down so he cries till we come in and we have to rock him back to sleep.  I'm hoping it's just a stage he outgrows fast.

Another lady did tell me though that because they are at an age where they are learning a lot of new things their little minds are racing with all the new stuff,  so try to do something soothing at bed time like relaxing music, reading a book, rocking.  

But even after all that some nights my son takes forever to settledown for bedtime.

armyissuedwife2
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 11:16 PM

well DH has been able to rock him to sleep but when we put him down he sleeps for 30-40 minutes and then wakes up and wont fall back asleep

Lovin' my Soldier night and day

amzbrznjz
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 6:31 AM

he could be teething, reaching a milestone, all of these interupt sleep patterns...Everytome my son, now 15 months, teeths hissleep patterns change...

bonnielauper
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 10:00 AM

If there's one thing I know about parenting, it's that every baby is different, and what worked for mine may or may not work for yours. :) But my only suggestion is to try actually putting him to bed much earlier, like 7 or 8 p.m. He may be overtired, and babies who are overtired have a really hard time soothing themselves to sleep and staying asleep. And watch for signs of tiredness (crankiness, biting, red eyes, rubbing eyes...again, every baby is different) in the morning--he may still need a morning nap as well as an aftenoon nap. My 14-month old still takes 2 naps, and sleeps almost 12 hours a night. Good luck--I know how frustrating it is to have a baby who won't sleep!

MaijasMom
by on Sep. 2, 2009 at 10:06 PM

We just went through this for almost a month when our baby was 9 months. She even screamed at the top of her lungs one night so loud that our neighbors heard. She was teething and learning to crawl and sit up. She would not go to sleep in her crib. The screaming got so bad that she lost her voice. We broke down and put her in a motorized swing with the vibrating seat and lullabies. I hated it because I didn't want her to get too used to it. But we were going insane with the lack of sleep. After about an hour or two we'd gently lift her into her crib. Some nights she'd wake up screaming and we'd have to put her back in the swing. We also used night time orajel and baby tylenol. During the day I would put her in her stroller and just wheel it back and forth in the living room to get her to fall asleep and then I'd let her nap in the stroller.

Yesterday I bought a baby soother that projects an underwater scene onto the ceiling and plays lullabies. Tonight is the second night that she has fallen asleep in her crib with little fussing. We also started to put her to bed an hour earlier (6 pm). It took a month of trial and error and I don't know if she just grew out of it or if our solutions worked... I did notice the pesky tooth has finally broken through.

I hope your little one starts to sleep so you can get some rest too!

melissa821619
by on Sep. 4, 2009 at 1:52 PM

I had the exact sme problem when my daughter was a baby. We took her for a ride every night because at the time i was preg with my son at the time. I finally decided to give her a warm bath and  put her in the bed and let her watch a movie and listen to soft music. It took awhile before she would do it. but you can't give in it might take till 11 or 12 at night the first week or so. but it will get easier after that. Oh and not let him have a nap if you have to give him a nap make sure it is before 1 in the afternoon. He should be ready to go to sleep around 7 . Good luck !!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)