Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help with Rash (PIOG) Eczema?

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 12:03 PM
  • 9 Replies

So I did some research on eczema and I'm thinking it might be the issue.  Then when I was talking to SO about it he informed me that he had horrible eczema as a child and need rx soaps and creams to help.  Gee that info would have been handy a while ago since they say babies are more likely to have it if a parent has had it! Anyway he has an appointment coming up so I'm going to try to hold off talking to the doctor til then because it doesn't seem to bother him and there is no fever.  I have been given a few suggestions on creams and things to try.  I'd appreciate any other advice from moms who have experience with this.

My son is 5mo and has had this rash since birth.  It comes and goes and doesn't seem to bother him.  I asked the doctor about it at his last appointment.  His doctor said it's probably just a heat or moisture rash and that I could just leave it alone or treat it with hydrocortisone cream.  I decide to wait for few but after we moved it seemed to get worse so I started treating it.  Once again it would clear up for a day or two then come back looking horrible.  It was looking scaly this morning then while feeding him I looked down and all the scabs were gone and he was bleeding.  Does anyone know what this could be? 

CafeMom Tickers
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 12:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mommy_mpoon
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 4:47 PM

I musband suffers from Eczema and so does our 2 children, although not as severe as his condition. When Ellen was about 7 months, she broke out in rashes all over the place and was in so much discomfort. But after searching around and seeing 2 doctors, I finally found something that works for all of us. The product is called "FREEDERM". It has a line of soap, Eczema cream and moisturizers. We ordered it thinking it doesn't hurt to try since we've done just about everything else...but after 3 days of using it her skin was back to smooth and baby soft.

We all use the product even if I don't have Eczema. Here's the website: www.freederm.com

It might seems costly but it really beats seeing them all red and uncomfortable. Since then we also use it on Viktor who is 10 months, he's never had a breakout of it and daddy's skin is clearing nicely too! Good luck.

kristileigh112
by on Aug. 29, 2009 at 10:39 AM

My oldest son has eczema and after trying everything...California Baby Calendula cream works AWESOME...well actually when it got really bad I treated it with hydrocortizone cream and when it cleared up I used the California Baby on his face all the time and he hasn't had a breakout in at least a year! It's worth a try...I know they sell it at target or online.

motherhood-quote23

Lilypie

tttsmommy
by on Aug. 29, 2009 at 10:41 AM

my 2 yr old has that and we use aveeno products on her and they work really well and we wash her cloth diapers and clothes in all free and clear and we dont hve as many break outs plus she has to ointments from her deritologish.

Davina7672
by on Aug. 30, 2009 at 10:41 PM

Okay, my daughter had a rash JUST LKE THAT from teh time that she was 2 months old all the way up to she was about 3 months old and went in for  weight check.  It's eczema.

Switch to hypoallergenic baby wash and use nothing with scent--use eucerin lotion for lotions (the 24 hour moisturizing one will help it to clear up) and don't wear perfume!  that'll make it worse.  Anything with an added frgrance will make it worse!  Hypoallergenic baby wash like the Johnson's head and body wash will help and so will the eucerin. Then get yourself 1% cortizone cream--it's over the counter and fairly cheap and use it twice per day on the rash every day until the rash is gone.  It'll take a week or so for it to clear up, but if you cut out anything that could irritate it further, then it'll go away.  You can't do it halfway--you've gotta go the full mile for a rash that's that bad.

Good luck and keep us posted;)  Also, if your pediatrician couldn't tell you this was eczema, then you should probably consult a pediatric dermatologist--they'll help you with any other questions and treatments you may have regarding eczema.  He may also requrie a prescription for any rashes that may appear on his body--it depends on how he reacts.  again--consult a pediatric dermatologist if your regular pediatrician isn't skilled in this area.  I just happened tog et lucky--my daughter's pediatrician was able to diagnose it at a glance!  And as I said, the rash looked just like your son's rash!  it looked like a burn it was so bad and no matter what I did, until I did everything that I just said for you to do, it wouldn't go away.  it was just that irritated.

Take care and give your little one a hug:)

Dawn T

nict01
by on Aug. 31, 2009 at 12:09 AM

You can try Caliornia baby Calendula cream. It comes in a yellow and jar with a white lid. It worked for my daughter.

CatRose15
by on Aug. 31, 2009 at 11:25 AM

we use the aveeno also - stay away from anything with dyes or perfumes or high levels of sulphates.  I found out that the reason the aveeno works so well is the amount of sulpha in the formula for the shampoo and stuff being so low.  Apparently the Sulfa agrivates the condition and dries the skin out more- when your son is older another thing to try would be the sulphate free shampoo and conditioner.  My daughter is almost two and I started her on a sulphate free conditioner (Johnson and Johnson so didn't work for her! She broke out in rashes and bumps and excema when I tried a No more tangles, it was horrible!).  

Quoting tttsmommy:

my 2 yr old has that and we use aveeno products on her and they work really well and we wash her cloth diapers and clothes in all free and clear and we dont hve as many break outs plus she has to ointments from her deritologish.

I am a: vaccinating; pro-choice; organic food eating; full-time working; single mom

toddler girl

savedbygrace316
by on Sep. 3, 2009 at 11:18 AM

I broke down and took DS to the doctor.  This time I asked him if it could be eczema and he confirmed that it is.  He told me to use the hydrocortisone cream 3x a day no matter what (even if it clears up) along with lubriderm lotion until his next appointment. I asked him about bath time and he said I don't need to change anything.  I've been using dreft detergent since DS was born so the doc said that was good.  The hydro cream seems to be working this time.  The doctor said I wasn't using it enough (because I wasn't sure what was safe).  After the appointment we were talking to FIL and found out SO spent time in the hospital as a baby due to eczema.  I'm glad we caught it before it hit that point.  I'm just so tired of hearing "Oh what a cute baby.  What's wrong with his face?"  Like I don't care or something.

Quoting Davina7672:

Okay, my daughter had a rash JUST LKE THAT from teh time that she was 2 months old all the way up to she was about 3 months old and went in for  weight check.  It's eczema.

Switch to hypoallergenic baby wash and use nothing with scent--use eucerin lotion for lotions (the 24 hour moisturizing one will help it to clear up) and don't wear perfume!  that'll make it worse.  Anything with an added frgrance will make it worse!  Hypoallergenic baby wash like the Johnson's head and body wash will help and so will the eucerin. Then get yourself 1% cortizone cream--it's over the counter and fairly cheap and use it twice per day on the rash every day until the rash is gone.  It'll take a week or so for it to clear up, but if you cut out anything that could irritate it further, then it'll go away.  You can't do it halfway--you've gotta go the full mile for a rash that's that bad.

Good luck and keep us posted;)  Also, if your pediatrician couldn't tell you this was eczema, then you should probably consult a pediatric dermatologist--they'll help you with any other questions and treatments you may have regarding eczema.  He may also requrie a prescription for any rashes that may appear on his body--it depends on how he reacts.  again--consult a pediatric dermatologist if your regular pediatrician isn't skilled in this area.  I just happened tog et lucky--my daughter's pediatrician was able to diagnose it at a glance!  And as I said, the rash looked just like your son's rash!  it looked like a burn it was so bad and no matter what I did, until I did everything that I just said for you to do, it wouldn't go away.  it was just that irritated.

Take care and give your little one a hug:)

CafeMom Tickers
Freckleface78
by on Sep. 4, 2009 at 4:53 PM

Another tip that you may or may not thought of:  Do you wash *your* clothes in the dreft, too?  If you hold her and she rests her face against your chest she'll be irritating her skin.  So, you might want to wash all of yours and Dad's shirts with the baby's things.

myklexi
by on Sep. 4, 2009 at 4:58 PM

Yes it look like ezcema.  I have it and so does My son. He had it since birth and he is 3 now. We use 3 different creams. one each season. we have the strongest one when its hot out, mild one when its cold.

I highly recommed you to get a disney excema baby bath, do it daily then use the hydro cream that you have at nights.  Ezcema will come and go for the rest of life.  Learning how to control it is the key.

Good luck! 

Never get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)