Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Benadryl Reaction?

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 11:32 PM
  • 3 Replies

Has anyone else had a child with a 'probable' reaction to a vaccine (specifically the new release of the Hib that had been in short supply in the past year or so) ...broken out in hives between pencil eraser and baseball size...for days on end...that Benadryl seemed to help at first and now it seems as though the Benadryl is causing hives???  My poor daughter...I feel so guilty, though there is nothing I could have done...or can really do.  I need to call the clinic/Ped. again tomorrow I guess and see what they recommend.  So frustrated.  So heart-broken every time I see my beautifull little girl with big ugly welts all over her body.  Anyone know of anything else ...maybe topical I could use to help? Would Calamine lotion or Caladryl help? anyone had a reaction to it? (As my daughter has never used that before either.)  I pray that very few of you ever have to see what I've seen emerge on my daughters skin...and am in awe of those of you who deal with children who have life threatening allergies everyday, I don't know how you do it...though I may have to learn.. God bless (and thanks for any advice or encouragement in advance) 

by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 11:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
RavishingMama
by on Aug. 29, 2009 at 10:14 AM

I am not much help as I've never dealt with anything that worrisome before, but I would definitely call the pedi and bring her into the office so they can look her over.  Hopefully you can get this figured out quickly!  

lverdone
by on Aug. 29, 2009 at 12:20 PM

I don't know - has anything else changed?   Its possible it was the shot but also Maybe its something else if it keeps happening? 
Definitely call the doctor and see what s/he says.

amzbrznjz
by on Aug. 29, 2009 at 6:02 PM

if she is having a reaction to bebedryl DO NOT put caladryl lotion on her, same family...you can do aveeno baths and calamine lotion...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)