Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

seperation anxiety?? *adcice please*

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:57 PM
  • 6 Replies

ok so when me or my hubby are holding and playing with our son [10 1/2 months] and need to do other things such as potty or cook and just leave him on the ground playing he cries and cries! if we leave and dont really pay much attention to him he cries and cries and cries til we hold him or pay attention to him...im just wondering if we let him cry a lot will he be traumatized?? or how can we get him to not be so clingy?? i think he has somekind of seperation anxiety?? keep in mind we both are sahm/sahd and hes socialized with 2 of his aunts on a daily basis and 2 cousins&2 more aunts on a weekly basis or more..

by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Nicole080984
by on Sep. 8, 2009 at 9:18 AM
Since you both stay home, do you hold him ALL the time? If he's always being held by someone that's why he's crying when you put him down...I started CIO at 6 weeks w/my daughter so shed sleep thru the night and after one night it worked, so at 10 months old I would say your son is more then old enough to CIO for a little bit and get used to not being held all the time.
tigerlily08
by on Sep. 8, 2009 at 4:32 PM

My daughter is the same way. She is 15 months old. We wanted to use CIO months ago to break her of it but we were living with my mil who would not let her cry for more than a minute before she barged in our room and started accusing us of ignoring her when she needed something. We knew when she need something and we would tend to her every need but we knew she was crying just because she didn't want to play by herself for a while while my husband and I were doing something. Now that she has been held almost constantly for the first 15 months of her life I am afraid that it is going to be very very hard to get her to stop pitching fits when we sit her down in her play pin while we go do anything. At the moment we are just taking turns doing things. My husband will cook and then eat while I watch her and then when he is done he will watch her while I eat and clean up. We just moved into our own place last week so after we finish unpacking everything we are going to see if there is going to be a chance of her letting us put her down without her crying her lungs out. I hope that we will be able to get her to stop pitching fits all the time. Good luck with your son.

Victoria.Ponce
by on Sep. 8, 2009 at 5:35 PM

whats cio?? and no he isnt being held all the time,we are just always in the same area as him,never more then 5 ft away&when he cries my hubby ALWAYS picks him up (says it hurts him to hear him cry,even tho he needs to get used to not having us at his beckin call!)

Quoting Nicole080984:

Since you both stay home, do you hold him ALL the time? If he's always being held by someone that's why he's crying when you put him down...I started CIO at 6 weeks w/my daughter so shed sleep thru the night and after one night it worked, so at 10 months old I would say your son is more then old enough to CIO for a little bit and get used to not being held all the time.

Slieurance
by on Sep. 9, 2009 at 3:50 AM

CIO is cry it out. There maybe some seperation anxiety. Play peek a boo with him, when you leave the room tell him you will be right back. If it is possible talk to him while you are in the bathroom.

Letting him cry for a little bit will not tramatize him. He needs to know that you are not always going to be there but that you will always come back.

Hope this helps. Good Luck

Victoria.Ponce
by on Sep. 9, 2009 at 12:49 PM

thats what i tell my hubby,but he feels bad. doc told us to let him cry,good for lungs&all that. but he wont listen. but we try to let him know were leaving brb. when hes with my sister he dont cry,but other then that he cries with pretty much ne1..i think its kuz we look alike some what..

thanks!

thank you

K_Chel
by on Sep. 9, 2009 at 11:48 PM
my SO was the exact same way about the not letting our son cry at all, you 2 need to have a sit down and you have to explain that it is BAD FOR BABY if baby is always picked up or held or whathave you because of a few tears... besides the fact that it won't take but a couple of times n ur baby 'll be over it! try sitting in the floor, baby in front of you, not on you, and play a while, then go around the corner where you can't be seen and when the baby starts to cry talk to him. don't go back into the room, just let your voice be herd, when the baby stops crying you stop talking (after a few extra words). try this a few times, each getting longer, and act all excited when you come back into the room, then ur sweet-pea will know that someone is coming back!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)