Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Does your toddler run into things?? such as walls, doors, chairs ect. (PIOG)

Posted by on Oct. 2, 2009 at 9:05 PM
  • 11 Replies

My son is going to be 15 months in 10 days and he runs into everything...he will just be walking and he will hit his hand on a corner or he will walk into a wood door... is it normal for them to be so clumsy...i will mention this to his doc for his next well child check but i was wondering what you all think

by on Oct. 2, 2009 at 9:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MelanieB25
by on Oct. 3, 2009 at 10:20 AM

I think it's natural, whether it's clumsiness or  their depth perception is off. I know that my daughter does the same thing!

MPWife89
by on Oct. 3, 2009 at 10:23 AM

My daughter started walking at 15 months. She can now run around the house and manages to run into the coffee table, bedroom door, door frames when turning into the hall. Their coordination isn't as well developed as ours is, give your son time, he will eventually stop running into things when he can keep better balance when walking/running around the house.

cherry41089
by on Oct. 3, 2009 at 12:58 PM

Quoting MelanieB25:

I think it's natural, whether it's clumsiness or  their depth perception is off. I know that my daughter does the same thing!

same here when she was that age

mommyziegler
by on Oct. 3, 2009 at 1:03 PM

my daughter never did that at all. not even when she first started walking. i would talk to your doctor about that. You child may need glasses or something. Good luck!

expecting babytoddler girlproud wife and mother!

ErinAnnaandBaby
by on Oct. 3, 2009 at 2:05 PM

My daughter is almost two and still does this. For her it is just plain not paying attention. I know there is nothing wrong with her eyes.

kimikylemama
by Bronze Member on Oct. 3, 2009 at 2:08 PM

My 4yr old son still does this.  My daughter never did this but my son has always because he's such a klurz, lol.  He seriously almost walked into a brick wall at his school the other day, lol.

wildflowerkej
by on Oct. 3, 2009 at 2:10 PM

My DD started walking at 11 months.  But she ran into everything for about 6 months and now she doesn't so much anymore.  But she still doesn't watch where she is going if there is anything on the floor she will trip on it.

kpwith3
by on Oct. 3, 2009 at 2:11 PM

My son will be 3 in December and he walk/runs into everything! Half the time it's because he doesn't pay attention to what he is doing. He is a huge klutz!

ProudMomOf2_bng
by on Oct. 3, 2009 at 2:12 PM

It could be anything.  I have a two year old and a three year old.  They don't run into things unless they are just not paying attention. I would get it checked out though.

LiviaA
by on Oct. 3, 2009 at 11:56 PM

LoL!!!  My 2 1/2 year old does this!  She trips over her own two feet!  She is constantly falling and running into things.  It's to the point now where she just hops up and keeps on going.  We laugh and joke about it now, but for a while we felt really bad for her.  I hope that doesn't sound bad or mean.  We do hug and kiss on her if she actually gets hurt!  The crazy thing is that she is a lot more brave and determined to try new things and climb and stuff than her 4 year old brother!  She does things at the playground really well that he is afraid to try!

I am a bit concerned for her eyes though.  I wonder if that is why she falls and runs into stuff a lot.  She also seems to have trouble discerning colors, so maybe colorblindness?  Anyway, I don't know, but I think it is pretty normal for kids to be clumsy.  Especially when they are new at walking.  They are trying to get the hang of their surroundings and figuring out how to do it all!

I am also going to ask my doctor about my daughter when she has her well child check up on Thursday.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)