Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Subway during pregnancy!!!?!?

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2009 at 9:07 AM
  • 22 Replies

Is subway safe to eat while you are pregnant?!?!?!?

by on Oct. 9, 2009 at 9:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NaTashaVictoria
by on Oct. 9, 2009 at 9:09 AM

As long as you don't eat any of the deli meat. I eat at subway but I stick to either the veggie patty or the grilled chkn sandwhiches. Deli meat can carry Listeria, which is a bacteria that can make a pregnant woman very sick and it can cause damage to the fetus. Unless you cook deli meat thoroughly, it's not safe. And who wants warm deli meat?

CafeMom Tickers
orange4agua72
by on Oct. 9, 2009 at 9:09 AM

i ate a TON of it with my last pregnancy. You aren't suposed to eat much/ any deli meat though, so I always stuck with the grilled chicken things or ones with bacon.

Stick Figure Family at FreeFlashToys.com

For You formed my inward parts; You covered me in my mother's womb. I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Marvelous are Your works, And that my soul knows very well. Psalm 139:13-14

Mena929
by on Oct. 9, 2009 at 9:10 AM

There can be a bacteria called listeria in deli meat if it is not heated to very hot. Tuna is safe, you could get a tuna sub... They also have grilled chicken. Now, when I was pregnant back in 2002 with my now 6 year old son, they never told me not to eat deli meat, so I ate it pretty regularly. With my second pregnancy in 2006, I was told to stay away from deli meat unless I heated in the microwave until it was hot. I will tell you the truth, I ate a turkey and roast beef from Subway yesterday, I had them toast it so it was heated, I was having a craving I couldn't stop....

Happy2BDomestic
by on Oct. 9, 2009 at 9:19 AM

Idk, I ate it with my son, and am eating it with this one.  Nothing happened to me,  but I think that everytime you eat out, you are rolling the dice.  You could get bacteria anywhere,  especially when you don't know what happened to your food before you ate it.

Mommyof4CLM
by on Oct. 9, 2009 at 9:43 AM

this is my 4th pregnancy and still to this day I have never once been told not to eat deli meat I have ate it with all my pregnancies and have healthy children

just wanted to add that this is my 4th caregiver during pregnancy i have had 2 midwives and 2 obs and still never heard that

orange4agua72
by on Oct. 9, 2009 at 9:45 AM

hahaha... I didn't get told that until my 4th pregnancy. I thought I had heard it all by then!

Quoting Mommyof4CLM:

this is my 4th pregnancy and still to this day I have never once been told not to eat deli meat I have ate it with all my pregnancies and have healthy children

Stick Figure Family at FreeFlashToys.com

For You formed my inward parts; You covered me in my mother's womb. I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Marvelous are Your works, And that my soul knows very well. Psalm 139:13-14

prd2b_calledmom
by on Oct. 9, 2009 at 9:49 AM

same here. i think its just one of those things that it COULD be bad (just like everything else). with my first pregnancy i was never told hot dogs were something to stay away from...i ate them all the time. then towards the end everyone was like "oh no those are bad for baby!" now deli meat? *big sigh* nothing is "safe" anymore!

i eat subway all the time (though i always get either the chicken terriaky, or a chicken bacon ranch). ate there last night for a matter of fact and the guy working knows us by name. he teased and asked how we could afford to eat there all the time!

Quoting Mommyof4CLM:

TheMillerFamily
by on Oct. 9, 2009 at 11:15 AM

You can't eat lunch meat unless its heated. Try getting the Flat bread and ask them to put the  cheese and meat on it before they put it into the toaster (they have to put it in the toaster so it doesn't just come apart on you) and they pile what ever you want on it, it tastes better then the regular sandwiches and its safe to eat while pregnant. Oh and you can't tell the meat and cheese have been heated either, Its really good! 

Photobucket

Due with #2 April 2010

Gender Prediction
TheMillerFamily
by on Oct. 9, 2009 at 11:19 AM

Tuna is actually not safe. it has high mercury levels and thats bad for the baby also. Some tuna is ok but the amount that goes on a sub is more then recommended.

Quoting Mena929:

There can be a bacteria called listeria in deli meat if it is not heated to very hot. Tuna is safe, you could get a tuna sub... They also have grilled chicken. Now, when I was pregnant back in 2002 with my now 6 year old son, they never told me not to eat deli meat, so I ate it pretty regularly. With my second pregnancy in 2006, I was told to stay away from deli meat unless I heated in the microwave until it was hot. I will tell you the truth, I ate a turkey and roast beef from Subway yesterday, I had them toast it so it was heated, I was having a craving I couldn't stop....

Photobucket

Due with #2 April 2010

Gender Prediction
lilmami316
by on Oct. 9, 2009 at 11:24 AM

i have never heard of lunch meat or hot dogs not being good for you while your pregnant and just like other people said  you can get bacteria on any of your food anywhere else now its like every day they say something is not good for you to eat when pregnant, oh and i always have lunch meat and my kids come out just fine

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)