Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So Upset... H1N1 precautions seperating my family

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 12:07 AM
  • 10 Replies

So I found out this weekend that my hospital will not allow children under the age of 14 in the maternity ward because of h1n1: even to see siblings! All women admited to the maternity ward will not be allowed to step foot outside of the ward until discharged.  I have two sons, ages 4 and 2, whom I have not been away from overnight more than once or twice. I'm so not emotionally prepared to go days without seeing them.

I don't have the choice of going to another hospital. This is the only one for hundreds of miles. If the twins come within the next 20 days, then I'll be flighted out to a different hospital: but that would be horrible because then they'd be in the NICU. Its a lose lose.

I know that taking precautions for h1n1 is important. But I don't know how me and my family are going to do this. I was so prepared for labor and delivery, and now I feel like everythings falling to pieces. crying

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 12:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jenny301
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 12:11 AM

That would be very hard to do without your other children.  I want my two-year-old to be very much a part of this birth and welcoming his sibling into the family.  Our hospital has restricted visitation too.  You must be over 18 to visit anyone in any part of the hospital.  We don't have to worry about it, though, because we are having a home birth.  To me, the restrictions makes a lot of sense, but I would be very sad too if my children couldn't be a part of the experience.

Try to be strong!!

Jess8685
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 3:11 AM

Im sorry hun thats goin to be so hard.. I know when i had my daughter my son had to be 2+ to come into the room and i told DH that he just made it(had DD in feb but my DS was 2 in nov) i would of been so upset if he couldnt be there to see his sister...I wonder if im goin to have any restrictions, im not due till march but i never even thought about my lil ones not being there.. Good luck

mommytobe090708
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 3:28 AM

I don't know what to say except I'm so sorry! Maybe you can sneak them in?

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Bloggin' about livin' in South Korea kleveille.blogspot.com
mamasangels2009
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 3:33 AM

I am so sorry mama! I can't imagine being told that because like you I have never spent more than one day away from my kiddos.

Nemhs
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 10:47 AM

I'm sorry its hard. But I can tell you, your not alone. Alot of hospitals have taken up that policy, I know here in oregon they have also.

MillsGirl
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 10:54 AM

My hospital adopted the same precautions! IT SUCKS! I posted pretty much the same thing about 2 weeks ago. They aren't letting up until February or March because of the "Season". Its not fair but I guess you never know what kids are carrying on their hands and like another mom told me that  if my child carried it in and touched a door knob or something and she touched it and took it to her new born she would be angry. It still makes me mad though. I hope that you guys make it the next 20 days and that you are able to get in and get out of the hospital. I have my fingers crossed for you!   Good Luck!

brittanym156
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 11:10 AM

With everyone saying their little ones wont bable to come i had to call and chec my hospital. Luckly once i have the baby (scheduled c-section) DD will be able to come in the room with us!! Im so sorry for those of you who wont be able to have their LOs present!! 

Lilypie

pregnancy
StephMosDef
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 1:03 PM

My hospital has a smiliar policy... except children are allowed in the post partum rooms, and absolutely no sick people in L&D even if they only have a sniffle! They're just trying to keep the newborns healthy as possible in the hospital (and cover their ass at the same time) Makes me wonder though... what if the mom to be is sick? will she still be allowed in L&D?

katznkt
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 1:07 PM

Same thing at our local hospital. I have a family friend who was having her 6th child and the children have always been allowed to be there the entire time because they have no local family, but this year they are not even allowed to go visit the new baby. Sucks, but sooooo much better than somebody bringing in sick kids and giving your twins the swine flu at one day old!!!

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

Hubby and I can't wait to meet our new addition!

Karebear6101
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 7:18 PM

Sorry but I have to agree that the hospital has made the right choice here. My local hospital is taking the same precautions that your hospital is. I have a friend who got the flu and went to the hospital the very next day to do clinicals which means she was exposing the patients to the virus she had. That was so inconsiderate of her. I have two small children who are 5 and 2 and I want them there also but I understand why they are not allowed there. I also don't want them going into the hospital during flu season and picking up something either. I'm hoping that I'll be able to leave after a night's stay so it shouldn't be too bad. The hospital is just trying to protect the babies and their mothers which I appreciate.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)