Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How old is old enough for a movie?

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 1:31 PM
  • 9 Replies

my daughter is 16 months old. My son is 3. I really want to take them both to go see Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs at the theater tonight. Do you think my daughter is old enough to go or could it be too loud? I know its 3d and didn't know if that would bother her eyes either. Any ideas?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 1:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
newbiestepmama
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 1:38 PM

I learned from experience that 3 yr olds and younger do not have the attention span for a long movie at the theatre. When my SS was 3 we could not take him to the movies. He would talk the whole time, he wanted to move around and go get something to eat every 10 mins and go potty every 5 mins. It was a disaster. It didn't matter how age appropriate the movie was, he just could not sit still that long. Now he is 5 and does much better.

lexismommy07
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 1:40 PM

I looks my DD to the movies for the first time at 2 and she did great. She loved it. We've gone a few times now. I think it all depends on the child. Does she not like loud noises? How is her attention span? 

expecting babyMay 2010  

arkansasmama08
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 1:44 PM

I'm not worried about them getting to see the whole movie. They've never been to a movie theater before and i thought this sounded like a good one to try them out on. Thought maybe the 3D would keep their attention lol. Besides, it is a kids movie, so I'm sure there's going to be plenty of littler ones there so not too worried about them talking, especially if others are. And if they get bored and want to leave, then we'll leave. Ds will sit and watch a whole movie at home and dd usually makes it about half an hour or so. But being that a big screen is such a different experience I wondered if she'd like it or if the 3D would bother her eyes, if she would keep the glasses on lol.

CafeMom Tickers
JKTsmom
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 5:08 PM

My soon to be 3 year old LOVES going to the movies. He's been going to movies since he was about that age 16 months or so he might of been more like 18 months. The first movie we took him to wasn't even a cartoon it was like The All American Girl or something like that. It was a kiddy movie just not a cartoon he watched the whole thing just amazed by being there. Since then he has seen over a dozen movies in the theatre. I think its worth a shot and see how it goes thats all we did. Joshua went and saw Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs yesterday and he said it was good. Good luck! Hope ya'll have a good time!

mrsbovee
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 5:45 PM

A friend of mine took her 3 year old and her 11 month old to that same movie!  According to her, Bridget (11 months) was making noise the whole time, and the 3 year old kept loudly telling her to shut up lol.  Nearing the end of the movie, Bridget ended up having a massive pooping accident which left my friend smelling very, very lovely... not to mention brown.  But to be perfectly honest, I think that incident was just those kids lol.  If I were you I'd try it out!  At the very least you'll know not to try it again until later =)

Austinsmommy126
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 5:58 PM

We took our son to his first movie when he was 2 1/2 , and he did pretty well.  Just make sure you have lots of snacks for when they get antsy. 

MJWard
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 6:30 PM

It depends on the child..mine is 3 and I wouldnt take him to a movie lol

pregnancy week by week

bubblesx2
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 10:04 PM

We took my son to see Aliens Vs. Monsters just before he turned 2.... and he did wonderfully.  He sat between his dad and I and watched the entire movie!  He had to have his own bucket of popcorn and we refilled it twice!  Since then we have taken him to another movie and we will be taking him to Toy Story.  :)  Just be ready to leave if need be... even if your daughter doesn't keep the glasses on just the experience alone might *wow* her... you'll never know until you try!  Good luck and I hope the kiddos have fun!

snowfishmommy
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 10:10 PM

i just took my son to his first movie and it was cloudy with a chance of meat balls! good movie and my son was great! hes  little over 3. we are going to take him to see the wild things next week!

If my answers frighten you then you should cease asking scary questions.
-pulpfiction

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)