Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is anyone else super freaked out???

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 3:57 PM
  • 13 Replies

Lately Im starting to wonder if its just me that's become overly paranoid about getting the flu/swine flu while Im pregnant. im 20 weeks along, my ob insists I get the vaccine as soon as its available. We have a 19 month old little girl who's a heart condition baby so her body doesnt handle colds/viruses as well as other children's immunes do. I dont know. Im becoming obsessed with thinking one of us is going to get REALLLY sick. In the city I live in there's been 2 confirmed deaths bc of H1N1 in the last month. I've always been a freak about germs, so I already wash hands alot and wipe carts down with anti-bacterial wipes at the store, and we all drink lots of OJ in our house.... I just dont know if Im the only pregnant one freaking over this or what? I think it wouldnt be so bad if my daughter didnt have the issues she does of not being able to fight these things..... I just hate that Im completely obsessing over it all the time and ready to lock our doors and stay in till its all over.

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 3:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
heidi_val
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 3:59 PM
I'm concerned, but I'm not getting the vaccine. I'm hoping I can make it til december and be healthy.
lizziesmommy714
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 6:12 PM

I live in Utah and we have had some of the highest number of incidences. So I am very concerned. On the news this morning they said I think it was a national count but this season- meaning this month 19 kids have died from it and I think they said only 24 normally die in the entire seaon of regular flu. These are healthy children not immune deficient elderly or anything! I wanted to pick my daughter up from school that second

mocervi
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 6:23 PM

I am concerned as well, I am 23 weeks pregnant and I have a 4 1/2 yr old. I lost a baby at 24 weeks with my last pregnancy and knock on wood so far this pregnancy is going ok, and now I have this to worry about, I am on the fence as to what to do... I feel like I'm dammed if I do and dammed if I don't. My MFM highly recommend it of course. I also see in alot of other posts referring to the H1N1 in this group that most of pregnant are not getting it....

KatieRaugh
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 6:32 PM

I am super freaked out right now only because I am wondering if I have the h1n1 flu....  symptoms are headaches, body aches, nausea, fever, cough, runny/stuffy nose, sore throat, chills,  I have everything but the body aches--- for the last three days I have had a low grade fever so I thought it probably wasn't the flu but then a mom in my due date group said that she works at a family practice and they have been having people test postive for h1n1 with fevers as low as 99....

I was fine till I started coughing, figured I just had a regular cold but now I wonder and now I am nervous since a cough sometimes means the cold/flu is in my lungs ----

gradysmom2006
by on Oct. 13, 2009 at 10:32 AM

I am honestly not a bit concerned.  It's no more dangerous than the regular flu - did you freak out last year? 

I am doing clinicals at the only hospital in the area to have a flu related death - still not scared. 

Pregnancy ticker
angelove8
by on Oct. 13, 2009 at 4:18 PM

Hell yea I'm freaked out. I went and bought a huge can of lysol cuz they said it can kill the swine flu. I spray everything and hand sanitize the kids all the time. I still won't get the vaccine though.

ArmyWife4Life08
by on Oct. 13, 2009 at 4:21 PM

the swine flu is a joke. It's the same at the regular flu. Thanks to the media it's cause pandimonium and people need to stop getting worked up. There's nothing more to worry about with the swine flu as there is with the regular flu. I am pregnant, and will not be getting vaccinated. Nor will my husband or my 1 year old son.

armyDaddy pregnant bellyMommy toddler boyAlexander

sissychristi
by on Oct. 13, 2009 at 4:22 PM

Not freaked out at all. Like another post said, it isn't any more dangerous than the regular flu. Plus, my kids came home with it and the whole family got sick already. It wasn't bad or scary...the common cold is more miserable to deal with. We are all just fine. No ER trips and my pregnancy was not affected.

manda78
by on Oct. 13, 2009 at 4:48 PM
I got the seasonal flu shot yesterday, and Im taking the kids in on Monday to get the h1n1 vaccine...We are all getting it. I just think it might be the lesser of two evils, I guess.
Mom2Jack04
by on Oct. 13, 2009 at 5:44 PM

It IS more dangerous because it's a strain our bodies have never seen before. That's why people who normally say something like "I never get the flu" are not only getting the H1N1 virus but getting hit HARD with it. 

The CDC does a weekly report in the US called the FluView.  Here is some of the latest reportings:

Synopsis:

During week 39 (September 27-October 3, 2009), influenza activity increased in the U.S.

• 2,968 (27.4%) specimens tested by U.S. World Health Organization (WHO) and National Respiratory and Enteric Virus Surveillance System (NREVSS) collaborating laboratories and reported to CDC/Influenza Division were positive for influenza.
  • 99% of all subtyped influenza A viruses being reported to CDC were 2009 influenza A (H1N1) viruses.
  • The proportion of deaths attributed to pneumonia and influenza (P&I) was at the epidemic threshold.
  • Nineteen influenza-associated pediatric deaths were reported. Sixteen of these deaths were associated with 2009 influenza A (H1N1) virus infection and three were associated with influenza A virus, for which subtype is undetermined.
  • The proportion of outpatient visits for influenza-like illness (ILI) was above the national baseline. Regions 3 through 10 reported ILI above region-specific baseline levels; Regions 1 and 2 were below region-specific baselines.
  • Thirty-seven states reported geographically widespread influenza activity, Guam and 11 states reported regional influenza activity, two states, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico reported local influenza activity, and the U.S. Virgin Islands did not report.

It also shows that there have been 147 pediatric deaths of swine flu since this time last year.  Now some people may argue that that isn't too bad and more die of the seasonal flu, but that's 147 AMERICAN children dead.  And if you ask the parents of those 147 children if they would have vaccinated their children to save their lives, you better believe they would say YES because their children would still be alive today if they had! 

It's easy to not be swayed by statistics until someone you know is ONE of those statistics!!!

Children have died right here in Buffalo, NY.  One of those kids went to a school not far from our home, she was fine and 5 days later she was dead.  She was only, i believe 9 or 10 years old, and DEAD over something some people aren't taking seriously. 

I personaly choose for me and my family to be safe rather than sorry. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)