Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Loose Bowels?

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 9:15 PM
  • 4 Replies

I was wondering how long everyone had loose bowels before they went into labor. Its my understanding that its a sign that labor is soon to come. By soon I dont mean in an hour or a day.  My gut is telling me that my son will be born in about a week or so....most women in my family deliver at 37 weeks...I think I might go over it by just a couple of days...but my instinct says its soon.

What signs should I look for?

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 9:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
steph2884
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 9:26 PM

I had that around 37 weeks, and didn't go into labor until four days before my due date. It's true for some moms, just not for me. I am pretty sure I pooped while pushing like four times. No one said anything... but I could smell it! :(

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
doulala
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 10:06 PM

Recognizing True Labor

In True Labor

Contractions will:
Get progressively longer
Build in intensity
Have shorter rest times

It seems unfair that the best advice most experienced mothers will give you is, "You'll know when it's labor." Even if it is true, it isn't especially helpful for the first time mother. What signs should she be looking for to let her know that labor is really starting?

Your body is going to go through periods of contractions that may be regular or irregular for days or weeks before your true labor begins. These contractions may feel strong or mild, some women don't even notice them. But they will have some differences from true labor contractions.

The first difference is that true labor contractions will not space out or slow down when you change activities, pre-labor contractions will. In fact, very often true labor contractions will increase when you change activity.

Another difference has to do with the overall pattern of contractions. In true labor, contractions will build in intensity and length, and they will get coser together. In pre-labor contractions will remain the same for many hours, sometimes days.

Testing for True Labor

There are a few "self-tests" you can do to determine if what you are experiencing is true labor.

Drink some water - Dehydration can cause you to feel contractions that look just like true labor, but are not productive.

Eat something - Some women find that hunger brings on Braxton-Hicks (pre-labor) contractions. Eating seems to stop these contractions.

Change your Activity - With pre-labor, changing activity (like resting if you have been walking around or going for a walk if you have been resting) can cause the contractions to stop.

Watch the contraction pattern - Even if you are having contractions less than 10 minutes apart, it may not be true labor. If the contractions are staying the same (not getting closer together or longer) it is pre-labor.

Pre/Early labor indicators: Nausea/vomiting, diarrhea, losing mucous plug, bloody show, contractions (regular~increasing in intensity), back pain, menstrual-like cramps, pressure very low. While these are normal things to notice in the third trimester, it's a combo that gets your attention. Especially, when the contractions increase to a point where you must stop what you're doing to focus on getting through it.

The contractions will sort themselves out. 4-1-1 is the "general rule" for knowing when "it's time" to get serious. Contractions are 4 minutes apart or less, 1 minute long or so, and happening this way for 1 hour or longer. ***Remember, to gauge how far apart they are: time contractions from the start of one to the start of the next.

Birth is not only about making babies. Birth is about making mothers ~ strong, competent, capable mothers who trust themselves and know their inner strength.

~Barbara Katz Rothma

When you change the way you view birth, the way you birth will change. -Mongan

Wish2Be
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 10:20 PM

Thank you....and especially thank you for not making me feel stupid :)

doulala
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 10:55 PM

Hey, mama, what are you talking about?!     This is LABOR we're talking about----  CHILDBIRTH!!     There are NO stupid questions... and there is no one right or wrong answer...   makes it that much more confusing.    Even moms who've had a half dozen babies still have to figure things out with each pregnancy.  
Each pregnancy is as unique as the person it brings into the world.   :-)

I think that we moms have amazing intuition.   So who knows??    

Good luck!

• We have a secret in our culture, and it's not that birth is painful. It's that women are strong.                                                                      ~Harm
  • Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.                                                                       ~Einstein
  • To know the way ahead, ask those coming back.  ~Chinese proverb

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)