Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working from home???

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 4:49 PM
  • 2 Replies

Okay so I'm just wondering if anybody works from home and if so what do you do? I have been a nanny for 6 years.....I switched families a year ago. Well tomorrow was supposed to be my last day until January. I come in today and she tells me that her mother in law is moving close to them and wants to watch her little girl on Thursdays and Fridays (the days that I work). So now I am going to be jobless. I really wish I would have known about this sooner...I understand why she has to let me go (financially it makes more sense for her). I didn't want to spend these last three weeks before giving birth worrying about what I am going to do. It's not easy to find a job that is very part time. I am in school 2 days per week so I can really only work 2 days because I need the rest to study and I'm going to need time to spend with my baby. She will be in daycare but I don't want her there any longer than we need her to be. Anyway....I am looking at other options like working from home....that way I can spend those days with my little girl and work. If you have any suggestions, let me know. I'm really confused. Even if I wanted to find a family to work for after I have her, I can't really interview right now anyway because nobody wants to hire somebody about to pop!!! Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

CafeMom Tickers
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 4:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
spazchicken
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 4:57 PM

I work from home and have been for a year(same job for 2 years though).  I do customer service via email and online chat for our clients.  Very laid back job as our clients are videogame developers.

Mom2Jack04
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 5:02 PM

I do two things from home.  I sell baby/kids/maternity clothes on eBay and I handle all the office work for our carpet cleaning business.

With eBay I mostly get inventory from thrift stores, consignment shops and yard sales, though I do get some new things at clearance racks as well.  Now that I'm sitting down and listing a lot more I am doing well again with eBay!  I mostly sell things like Gymboree, Janie & Jack, Ralph Lauren, Little Bitty and Hanna Andersson to name a few of the labels I look for. 

The carpet cleaning business we started up about a year ago.  We are still only part time with it but we do about 5 jobs a week.  We make over $100 an hour with it and when I'm not so pregnant I do jobs with him.  We are doing a huge Home and Garden show to make it full time after the New Year.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)