Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ok explain this to me....anyone?

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 11:48 AM
  • 12 Replies

I got an email from a friend of mine this morning. but here's the part i dont understand:

"I'm doing great!  Only about 5 more weeks and she'll be here.  Doc says he'll induce the week before her due date when I'm 39 weeks if I haven't gone naturally by then."

I replied and asked why her doctor was going to induce her, and this was her reply:

"My doc would rather I be home with her by my due date instead of worrying about me going over my due date.  He works with a lot of high-risk pregnancies (mine is NOT though) and for the safety of the mother he doesn't like his patients to go over their due date at all.  It hurts for me to walk, sit, sleep...all that jazz.  She's head-down and ready to come out!"

dont get me wrong. i also hurt when i sit, walk, sleep, everything like that too. and my son is also very low and all of that. but to induce just for convience basically? im not judging her or anything, but i dont understand how its for the safetly of the mother for the baby to be born before their due dates? due dates are estimates, am i wrong? al the way to 42 weeks is still normal, right?! what about the safety of the baby? this is her first baby.

i dont even know how to reply to her on that. i dont want to sound rude or like im bashing her...but her doctor seems like a nut if he induces all of his patients just so they can have the baby, and be home by their due dates!

by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 11:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Happypancake
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 11:50 AM

I was induced at 42 weeks. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
RaeMcLean6
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 11:54 AM

I agree with you.. but her doc is who she is going to listen too... I had to have a baby that was huge before they started inducing me before my due date.. My 3de baby measured 10 weeks above normal on the ouside and 3 full weeks larger on ultrasound... so there was a reason they induced me, and once they relized that my babies were getting too big for my body they starting weighting options, my son the last baby born was born on his due date... don't get me wrong he was a big boy, but not too big that they would have induced me 3 days later.... I would say hope for the best and tell her how you feel een though she may not listen and her dr may still induce her.

Cynthje
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 11:54 AM

You are right, due dates are only estimations, normal human gestation is 38-42 weeks, the estimated due date is just the middle of that. I have a tough time understanding why a healthy normal woman goes to a high risk OB and in my honest opinion a doctor that does routine elective inductions is not a very good doctor at all.

Inductions are not risk free at all, there are many risks involved for both mother and child..over 40% of inductions end up in c-sections. If that baby was ready it would come on its own!!!

Throughout the world, there exists a group of women who feel mightily drawn to giving care to women in childbirth. At the same time maternal and independent, responsive to a mother's needs, yet accepting full responsibility as her attendant; such women are natural midwives. Without the presence and acceptance of the midwife, obstetrics becomes aggressive, technical, and inhuman.

Professor G.J. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam

adri_nevarez
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 11:57 AM

Im not trying to be rude at all - but that is her pregnancy and her and her doctor are capable of making the decisions they need to.  Worry about your pregnancy... you obviously care about your babies health very much.  I was induced with all 4 of mine... the last 2 at 37 weeks.  I had one friend tell me to not be induced and it really ticked me off because she had no clue why we were doing the induction.  Good luck to you and your friend.

ElijahsMom211
by Platinum Member on Nov. 9, 2009 at 11:58 AM

It just sounds like her dr's being lazy and doesn't wanna worry about it..

Bennett121
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2009 at 11:59 AM

Quote:

"My doc would rather I be home with her by my due date instead of worrying about me going over my due date.  He works with a lot of high-risk pregnancies (mine is NOT though) and for the safety of the mother he doesn't like his patients to go over their due date at all.  It hurts for me to walk, sit, sleep...all that jazz.  She's head-down and ready to come out!"

Maybe there is more to it than she is telling you.  I wouldn't go into telling her how WRONG she is or how wrong her doctor is for that matter. It is a decision they have made for whatever reason. 39 weeks is not all THAT early. 37 is actually considered "term"

tbower
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 12:00 PM

Meh, Im a maternity nurse, and i see inductions all the time for pure convience...since we're a military town, alot of the people are inducing to avoid hubby missing the birth because hes going overseas. Sometimes mom just pushes for it, and most doctors are ok with inducing if need be. As early as 38 weeks even. The placenta does start to age, and it CAN be dangerous to go over your due date...so whatever the doctor and mom agree to, is probably best.

A baby induced at 39 weeks would be fine. Normally.

ttaylor1998
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 12:01 PM

I have heard some pretty lame excuses as to why doctors induce but this may just take the cake.  "So they can be home on their due date."  For real???   Like it is some magical day or something?  LOL    Wowzers...

As to your email, I would send her over this: http://www.mothering.com/pregnancy-birth/avoiding-cascade-medical-interventions

this one:  http://www.birthinternational.com/parents/obstetric/diagram.html

and this one: http://www.childbirthconnection.org/article.asp?ck=10182

siggy2 by you.

Next Stocking:  October 26th, 8 p.m. Eastern 

K.a.C.87
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 12:01 PM

its not THAT big of a deal, its prob just the doc. i know some docs wont induce until u reach the 42 mark.....kinda depends on the hospital i think too. where i go know will induce on your due date.

I am a 21 year old Wisconsin mama to my precious daughter, Eliahna Maree, loving fiance to lee, pregnant with our little boy!! (1.26.10) Bryant Allyn. (trying to have successful VBAC), Disposible diapering, ERFing, breastfeeding, NON-CIO, Vaxing mommy turned to NON-VAXing!

visit our family

Join us in the Pregnancy Group     K.A.C.87, Pregnancy Group Mod

miss_hughes
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 12:06 PM

im not saying theres any problem with being induced! i was induced with my first but it was medically necessary! shes saying her doctor just wants to just because pretty much!

i know its her pregnancy, and she and her doctor will do whatever they feel is right no matter my opinion, i dont expect them to listen to me. i was just wandering if this made since to anyone else.

Quoting adri_nevarez:

Im not trying to be rude at all - but that is her pregnancy and her and her doctor are capable of making the decisions they need to.  Worry about your pregnancy... you obviously care about your babies health very much.  I was induced with all 4 of mine... the last 2 at 37 weeks.  I had one friend tell me to not be induced and it really ticked me off because she had no clue why we were doing the induction.  Good luck to you and your friend.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)