Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pets and Babies?

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 1:29 PM
  • 21 Replies

Do you own a pet?  How do you think the pet will react when you bring baby home? 

storkbusy momnurse

Got little ones or expecting one?  Check out these groups!
Unique Baby Names, Children's Health Issues
Join us in the Pregnancy Group or Babies Group
Amber, Pregnancy and Babies Group Mod

by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 1:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MissiHampt
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 1:31 PM

I think out of our 3 cats, 2 will be curious and the other will be scared....especially when he cries.  Our one cat is such a wuss, any little thing sends him to go hide under the bed.  The other two smell something once, examine it for a few minutes from all angles, and then they're happy. 

Missi....loving wife to Jason, mommy to Ricky (1-12-05), and soon to be mommy to Logan Douglas (due Feb 2010).  I'm a cloth diapering, baby wearing, breastfeeding till baby wants to quit, homeschooling, non-circumcising, anti-cry it out, part time working, animal loving, trashy romance novel reading, farm raised hillbilly.  I have had Meningitis and Swine Flu and lived to tell about it.  Any questions?

annaviaclovsky
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 1:36 PM

We have a very hyper dog who lives outside who will not really be effected by bringing home a baby. And a very jelous cat inside who will just not know what to do. I think he will first be scared of a baby. Then he will get used to the idea of not being the most important thing in the house. lol

CafeMom Tickers

AliciaO
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 1:40 PM

our dog i think will be just fine. she loves our two boys, and lets them crawl all over her now, so i don't think she'll be affected to much. dh is planning on how to give her the extra attention she'll need so hopefully she won't have to much change going on.

boyd-family
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 6:10 PM
I am worried about our two dogs! They have been our only kids for the past 5 yrs....hopefully they will adjust quickly...if not then we will be using baby gates to seperate everyone during the winter and during the summer they can spend days outside and nights inside...I am staying positive though!
pregnancy due date
mustangharms
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 6:16 PM

I have two cats and the one will be terrified of the baby because he is scared of everyone but me. The other cat will probably be curious, but he should adjust alright. He has been around a toddler before and he was getting grumpy and I yelled at him and he just left the baby alone, so I think it'll work out.

CafeMom Tickers
ElijahsMom211
by Platinum Member on Nov. 9, 2009 at 6:19 PM

We have 2 dogs & 2 cats.. I think the cats will be like "what the heck man?!" b/c we are kicking them out of "their" room (it holds their litter box and food and it's a place to hide) to put the baby in it.. The dogs will probably just roll their eyes, if they could LOL I'm sure they'll look forward to the day when this kid feeds them like my current toddler does.

newbiestepmama
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 6:22 PM

I have 2 chihuahuas that I already treat like my little babies, so I'm worried they will be jealous when actual baby is here. Also, they sleep in bed with us every night and we are going to have to ween them off the bed because we don't want them on the bed when baby is around. One of them is too small to get on the bed by herself so I am not worried about her, but my other one can and she is not going to be happy. Neither of them have had any contact with babies, so it will be totally new to them.  

pregnancy
ashleywilkerson
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 6:26 PM

i think mine will react like they did with my duaghter, excited to see her at first then after an hour or so they will go on about there busniss, but i think im going to have issues with one cuz she dont like babys to cry, so she will be trying to get her to stop. 

Dynamic Glitter Text Generator at TextSpace.net
Twinboysmom22
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 6:37 PM

My dog was super jealous!! She was the baby and she had all the attention and when I came home (never left her one night before) she was sooo happy to see me but I had a c-section so I had to keep her away, and my boys were sooo tiny that I didn't wnat her near them for a few weeks.  So she became distant.  She is very good with them though.  NOw I have another dog and he is good with my boys now, we shall see how he is with the new baby. He is super protective over me. 

Peppers10
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 11:48 PM

I was told by a friend at work that has 3 kids that before u bring the baby home to bring a blanket the baby was wrapped in and give it to the dog so the dog will get use to the babys sent. And that when u bring the baby in in the carseat to sit it down and let the dog by the baby. Of course i would be worried if i had a huge dog but we have a mini schauzer and he is well behaved. When my 9 month old nephew comes over he freaks out when the baby cries.. and by freaking out my dog whines too. lol i really think my dog would get along well with the baby.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)