Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

lamaze/prenatal classes???

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 1:37 PM
  • 8 Replies

are these classes completely necessary??? i just dont feel the need or desire to go... i figure that what is supposed to happen in the delivery room will come naturally and if i need coaching, i am comfortable with the fact that my doctors and nurses will be able to provide if i absolutely need it...

by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 1:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 1:40 PM

I didn't go/nor find them necessary.

I did LOTS of research and read a lot of articles and books and talked to other Mom's.

just depends on what kind of a birth you're looking for, if you plan to BF or FF..that sort of thing. just research your ideas and go from there.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 1:50 PM

this is my 2nd baby and i am am doing my classes right now. i did not do them w/ my first and i really wish i would have. there is just so much i didnt know, i also read alot about labor and birth online, and it did not help 1 bit. but if u dont want to take them u shouldnt.

by Platinum Member on Nov. 9, 2009 at 2:19 PM

This is my 2nd and I've been debating taking the class, just for help w/my breathing and for managing the pain.. I didn't take them w/my first, like most things in my life I decided to wing it and it worked out well for the most part.. The things that "went wrong" had nothing to do w/anyone's lack of anything so I don't think the classes would've helped one bit.. It's truly up to you, if you don't feel the need nor inclination to go, don't go.. The classes help some but not others.. For my "research" I watched A Baby Story on TLC and kept an open mind.. I didn't have anything "planned" for the birth so I was ok w/whatever was going to happen, except the pain of course lol.

by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 3:50 PM

I went into labor durning a lamazz class and all the ladies were all excited. wierdos! haha just kidding, it was cute. Anyway I liked it because it helped me deal with the stress of the last part of the pregnancy. Otherwise it wasnt necessary especially since i got a c-section but it was really helpful to my relationship and the stress we were under at that time.

by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 3:53 PM

It's a complete waste of time. Everything will come naturally to you. And you know if you have any specific questions after your baby is born, you can always come to CafeMom and talk to these ladies. It's helpful!

by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 3:57 PM

I took them and didn't find them that useful because I am incredibly educated on the subject. I've been reading all about childbirth since way before we even conceived. However, my husband was completely clueless so he feels so much better now that we took the classes. He had no idea a lot of the things that could happen and didn't know much but now feels incredibly prepared and ready for the birth. So it just depends if it is just you, both you and your husband and if you guys are educated and prepared of what is to come.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 3:58 PM

I am a prenatal class dropout. The first class was a combination of stuff I read in the bazillion books people sent me, and scare tactics aimed at promoting drug free childbirth. The second class taught me how to give the baby a bath, with such gems of wisdom as "Don't wash the baby's butt first."  REALLY? Cuz I always wash my own butt first THEN my face...hello common sense!

I'd say the only useful thing is if you want to meet other new mommies, but I ended up in class with a girl I went to high school with and a bunch of unfriendly mommies. It wasn't a great experiance for me or DH. Get a book or two instead.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 6:02 PM
I am excited for mine! I am giving birth in a birthing center, and they not only go through ways to cope with labor and breathing, but they talk about what things they will do for labor, they can help with a birth plan and let me pick my method of birthing my baby! I am very excited for all of it! But some places aren't like mine and are just in it for the money...GL in your decision!
pregnancy due date
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)