Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Gestational Diabetes?? Please help...

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 1:47 PM
  • 6 Replies

This is my 2nd pregnancy and I didn't have it with my 1st daughter. I'm 70 lbs lighter this time around, so the thought never crossed my mind. Well I was shopping with my mom yesterday and had to open a bottle of water in the middle of the store and drink it because I was so thirsty. It's been like this for a while. I also pee all the time. Since I was 7 weeks prego it's been like this. I couldn't even make it threw the night without getting up. Anyways, my mom told me I should tell my doctor about because I might have gestational diabetes.

I was just wondering had anyone else had this problem? I don't know much about it. Do you guys think I should call my doc and ask? I'm really nervous because 1-I love my sweets(x-mas and thanksgiving is coming!) and 2-I'm worried about the baby.

CafeMom Tickers  

by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 1:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 1:51 PM

I wouldn't worry.  They won't even test you for that until you're like 28 weeks or so.  If you're thirsty a lot, it's probably because your body wants more water (which is normal) and you're peeing a lot because you're drinking a lot. 

by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 1:53 PM

Gestational diabetes is not the same as regular don't necessarily have the excessive drinking, and peeing that a regular diabetic might have.  You are doing these things b/c you're pregnant.  Totally normal. You may develop GDM, anyway, but there is nothing to worry about now.  Esp, if you didn't have it with your last pregnancy.  If you are really worried, you can ask your doc to do an early glusoce test, but they usually only give those to people with a history of GDM or those who have strong risk factors for it (obesity, baby over 9lbs in the past, etc.) 

by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 1:58 PM

Ok, thanks ladies. I feel a little better. I didn't have this with my first pregnancy, but then again this time around it's very very different all around. I guess I didn't realize it could be this bad. I just have to remember to take a water bottle with me everywhere! lol 

CafeMom Tickers  

by Platinum Member on Nov. 9, 2009 at 2:23 PM

I agree w/everyone else.. It's nothing to worry about.. You're drinking more water b/c your body needs more water, I've learned this too. And your peeing all the time b/c you're pregnant and b/c of the water.. I'm the exact same way.. I didn't have GD w/my first, tho instead of being 70lbs lighter I was 30lbs heavier at the start of my pregnancy.. I got tested for GD but haven't heard back about the results so I'm assuming it wasn't anything bad..

by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 2:45 PM

Yeah I wouldn't too much just yet.  Yes, exessive thirst can be a sign of high blood sugar levels and diabetes, but we also get thirsty and require MORE water during pregnancy....and who on this group doesn't pee more than usual?  LOL, I've been getting up 3-5 times a night to pee through my entire pregnancy.  And it's not due to the fact I'm a type 2 diabetic because my bg levels are fantastic and wouldn't be causing that issue.

by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 2:53 PM

I think the most important thing to point out is that Gestational Diabetes and regular adult onset diabetes are NOT the same thing and don't have the same symptoms.  As others said the things you have described are totally normal in pregnancy and not signs of anything other than you being pregnant. 

Mom to Aria (4), Miles (2) and Liviana (17 months)
& a HUGE suprise due early 2010

Signature copy small3 copy

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)