Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Has anyone had the Sequential Screen done?

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 4:13 PM
  • 19 Replies

Hey ladies. I have an appt tomorrow to get the Sequential Screen.I was wondering if any of you have had it done and how was the procedure.

by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 4:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
heidi_val
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 4:18 PM

Never heard of the sequential screen? 

Bren07
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 4:19 PM

i dont think i have but heres something i googled-
http://www.dhmc.org/webpage.cfm?site_id=2&org_id=828&morg_id=0&sec_id=0&gsec_id=49521&item_id=51801

HI! im a 20 yr old disposable diapering, CIO attempting, vaxing (but no flu shot), circ'ing, BFing AND FFing, vaginal and c-section birthing, co-sleeping, SAHM to two BOYS. i have been fairly happily married since i was 17 to my high school sweetheart who i met when i was 15. yes i am a "teen mom" but i also graduated high school early. so dont tell me im too young because i will tell you your too old!
SORRY FOR ANY TYPOS, IM NAK ALOT!

heidi_val
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 4:22 PM

ah ok, I had the triple screen done. I don't think they did the 2 blood tests. They only did the latter one. Mine came back positive, I've had 2 level 2 ultrasounds and they said he's fine. After the last ultrasound, they never did anything else, so I'm assuming he's fine. 

Bren07
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 4:26 PM

yeah see this was me..when they did the blood test to check for downs n stuff with my first it came back abnormal for downs (they did the blood test around like 21wks)..and we had like 3extra ultrasounds on him to check him and he was fine..

Quoting heidi_val:

ah ok, I had the triple screen done. I don't think they did the 2 blood tests. They only did the latter one. Mine came back positive, I've had 2 level 2 ultrasounds and they said he's fine. After the last ultrasound, they never did anything else, so I'm assuming he's fine. 

HI! im a 20 yr old disposable diapering, CIO attempting, vaxing (but no flu shot), circ'ing, BFing AND FFing, vaginal and c-section birthing, co-sleeping, SAHM to two BOYS. i have been fairly happily married since i was 17 to my high school sweetheart who i met when i was 15. yes i am a "teen mom" but i also graduated high school early. so dont tell me im too young because i will tell you your too old!

mnt_2_b_mommy
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 4:26 PM

I had it done. The first ultrasound and blood work at 12 weeks and the second at 20 weeks I think. My results were good. CA has adopted this program and encourages it. I didn't do any of that stuff with my son but I decided to this time. I figure it's just extra blood work and you get an extra ultrasound, and if it can give me a heads up about possible problems that I can be prepared for them, you know? My son has a slew of heath issues and I wish I had been prepared for them. It would have been nice to know what I was dealing with those first few months (but these tests wouldn't have told me any of that so with him it didn't matter). I just feel like the more info you can get, the better. I know some women don't feell that way, since there is a chance of false positives, but I prefer to know as much as possible, even if it turns out to be wrong. I wouldn't terminate for anything anyway, so that didn't factor into my decision. Plus my OB encourages the testing since his daughter died of Cystic Fibrosis and when she was born they had no idea what they were dealing with. He is very pro life so I know he doesn't encourage the test for abortion purposes either.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
mnt_2_b_mommy
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 4:27 PM

This is exactly why they are doing this new program with the additional early blood work. They are getting more accurate results. Less false positives.

Quoting Bren07:

yeah see this was me..when they did the blood test to check for downs n stuff with my first it came back abnormal for downs (they did the blood test around like 21wks)..and we had like 3extra ultrasounds on him to check him and he was fine..

Quoting heidi_val:

Pregnancy Ticker
Bren07
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 4:38 PM

with my first it was back in WYO in 2006/2007 and my second was 202008/09 in NM so idk if they do that new stuff here yet..i think it would be better. it sounds like it with the thing i read..maybe with the nxt baby i if have ne more..lol..

Quoting mnt_2_b_mommy:

This is exactly why they are doing this new program with the additional early blood work. They are getting more accurate results. Less false positives.

Quoting Bren07:

Quoting heidi_val:

k_hall1784
by Member on Nov. 9, 2009 at 4:39 PM

Quoting heidi_val:

So even if your test results come back positive, they don't automatically think the baby will have any problems? I'm assuming that is what the ultrasounds are for. Do the ultrasounds outweight the bloodwork?

mnt_2_b_mommy
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 4:44 PM

With the new testing, they put all the results (blood and u/s) into a formula and it figures out your chances of the baby having any of those problems. So the blood work and the u/s work together.

Quoting k_hall1784:

Quoting heidi_val:

So even if your test results come back positive, they don't automatically think the baby will have any problems? I'm assuming that is what the ultrasounds are for. Do the ultrasounds outweight the bloodwork?

Pregnancy Ticker
lanena_aljamila
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 6:20 PM

Quoting k_hall1784:

Quoting heidi_val:

no, mama. its all pretty relative.

...i did the screening, and my blood tests were all normal. when i went for my ultrasound at like 20w, they saw an ecogenic focus, and that made them consider doing more testing for downs. they ordered for a level II ultrasound, and there they checked him out a little more closely and said that he hadnt developed any other signs that may point to downs. and taking into consideration my blood tests, they were not concerned. *shrugs*

...they still offered the opportunity for the amnio, but that seemed pointless to me so...it is what it is...

c.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)