Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Newborn vs. preemie when bringing baby home

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 9:43 AM
  • 13 Replies

Trying to decide what size we'll want to buy and had heard that when bringing baby home from the hospital, they are usually better off in preemie, esp. since they usually lose a little weight while in the hospital.  What have the "experienced" mommies done?  I suppose we could buy a preemie outfit AND a newborn outfit to be safe, but I'm curious to see what others have found.  Thanks :-)

Lilypie
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 9:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Schleetle
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:17 AM

My boys were so tiny the preemie clothes were too big on them (they were born just before 29wks)... I tried to dress them up, but it didn't work. They did get cute knit hats from a local elderly home as gifts though! This time I've only bought newborn clothes. I am already over 36 weeks so I am not worried about her needing any preemie outfits. If she does end up being too tiny for the newborn size I'll send DH to buy one, or two preemie outfits.

Pregnancy Ticker

sparklebug86
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:17 AM

My son was 7 lbs and I bought newborn and it was WAAAAAY to big. I suggest buying the coming home outfit in preemie

CafeMom Tickers

mom.of.twins
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:40 AM

My girls were born at exactly 36 weeks and were in preemie when we came home. They stayed in preemie for almost two months, too. They were 6 lbs. 8 oz. and 6 lbs. 10 oz. at birth and weighed almost a pound less by the time we went home.

Lilypie
Twinboysmom22
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:51 AM

My boys were preemies and they preemie was too big on them it was cute..lol.

But my nieces and nephews all were born at regular time and ranging between 7 pounds to 8 1/2 and they all needed to be in preemies.

K.a.C.87
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:29 AM

my daughter left the hospital at 5lbs 11oz and we had newborn for her....it was a bit big on her, but to me id rather have it a bit big then have her only be able to wear it for a week.

I am a 21 year old Wisconsin mama to my precious daughter, Eliahna Maree, loving fiance to lee, pregnant with our little boy!! (1.26.10) Bryant Allyn. (trying to have successful VBAC), Disposible diapering, ERFing, breastfeeding, NON-CIO, Vaxing mommy turned to NON-VAXing!

visit our family

Join us in the Pregnancy Group     K.A.C.87, Pregnancy Group Mod

ProudArmyWife18
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:33 AM

with my son i bought a newborn outfit and he was SWIMMING in it! he was 7lbs 7oz but lost over a pound in the hospital until my milk came in so he got down to 6lbs 6oz but even before the NB clothes were HUGE on him so we had to bring him home in a NB onesie that looked really silly on him but we ended up buying 2 premmie outfits for him later that was a little loose even on him. This time were buying a Premmie outfit to take our little girl home in, its just hard to find them ive found almost everything i see is 0-3 months (the majority) and some NB very few Premie clothes

MarriedJess
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:34 AM

are u talking about the coming home outfit? I would get that in preemie because it's meant to celebrate the day you bring the baby home otherwise i would just by newborn so that you would get more use out of it.

Our little Beetle

Mommy, Daddy and Big sister Ella can't wait to meet Ollan Stephen!!

NIKopotamous
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:37 AM

I bought NB for my DD and should have bought 3-6.  I'm not even kidding.  We had a hard time getting the onesie to snap.  She was a BIG baby though.  9 lb 9 oz and 21 inches long.  And she left the hospital at 9 lb 4 oz. 

mdwright4
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:39 AM

my 8lb dd wore preemie clothes for at least 2wks. They make they clothes HUGE

stellarluna
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:40 AM

my son came home at 6#9 and did not fit into size newborn, we did put him in preemie for a few weeks.  I think you'll find most of the clothing runs a bit big, so don't pay attention to the weight limits on the tags.  My kids both went on to the next size well after reaching that weight limit but probably about a month after the tag and stayed in them at least a month after the tag.  Especially the 0-3 size... I probably didn't get my kids in that size for 2 months and they could stay in it until they were about 4-5 months depending on that brand.  Everything runs big unless you have a long baby.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)