Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need your opinions ladies, Cold Meds..

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:30 AM
  • 8 Replies

Ok, so I know that Tylenol Cold is ok to take while pregnant but webmd.com says to NOT take the multi-symptom versions which is all, it seems, Walmart has (mind you I'm going off their website as I am at work). There's also Tylenol Sinus, would that work or no?? Is there a better place (like Walgreens or CVS) to buy the cold medicine that they might actually have a plain Tyleon Cold version?? I'm in the beginning stages of the cold and I don't want to let it get too bad (to where it could turn into something worse) so I'm looking for things to help (meds, vitamins, hot tea, ANYTHING).. Thanks ladies!

pregnancy
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
jwebster80
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:01 AM

My Dr. said everything that I am allowed to take has to be REGULAR strength.  Regular plain psudephed, NO extra strength tylenol, etc.  I have only really taken some tylenol for bad headaches, but it really does not work lol.  Apparently, the headaches are from my hormones inflaming my sinuses and she told me to take plain old psudaphed, but I am just gonna grin and bear it.  I had a bad cold a few weeks ago, and I drank massive amounts of tea, but tea had ALOT of caffine, so try to get the decaf version.  Tea has antioxidants that will help kick the cold's butt faster.  I took several hot showers too and just tried to blow my nose as often as possible.    I have my list of safe over the counter meds to use, let me find it and I will get back to you in a bit.

ElijahsMom211
by Platinum Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:07 AM

Thanks! I'm drinking some peppermint tea, my stomach's a wee bit upset but I'm HUNGRY. I'm almost at 2cups of it. I read in Prevention Magazine that tea helped w/colds so I've been trying to drink it more (I've felt this coming on for a few days).. The caffeine amount in tea isn't too terribly high, so you can have (I wanna say) 4 cups w/o having too much caffeine, but I'm not really a tea drinker so I have problems getting down the 2 cups..

Webmd said that Sudafed was ok to take, so maybe I'll try that instead of Tylenol, I just remember the last time i had a cold mostly everyone said to take Tyleon Cold..

Quoting jwebster80:

My Dr. said everything that I am allowed to take has to be REGULAR strength.  Regular plain psudephed, NO extra strength tylenol, etc.  I have only really taken some tylenol for bad headaches, but it really does not work lol.  Apparently, the headaches are from my hormones inflaming my sinuses and she told me to take plain old psudaphed, but I am just gonna grin and bear it.  I had a bad cold a few weeks ago, and I drank massive amounts of tea, but tea had ALOT of caffine, so try to get the decaf version.  Tea has antioxidants that will help kick the cold's butt faster.  I took several hot showers too and just tried to blow my nose as often as possible.    I have my list of safe over the counter meds to use, let me find it and I will get back to you in a bit.

pregnancy
housefullofkidz
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 12:56 PM

I am just getting over a sinus infection & cold. I used I think afrin?? saline spray and that actually works really good!

There are two ways to live your life - one is as though nothing is a miracle, the other is as though everything is a miracle. Albert Einstein andee.jpg picture by us5dots Join us in the Pregnancy Group Housefullofkidz, Pregnancy Group Mod 

Maddape48854
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 12:59 PM

It's cheaper to buy sudafed and Tylenol in seperate packages than to buy them together. We buy the generics. You should still call your doctor's office and ask the nurse because she can give you some great ideas to help you feel better.

sissychristi
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:35 PM

Doing a rinse will help with any mucus forming in your sinuses. I have a neti pot (you can find them at walgreens) and use the saline solution that comes with it to thoroughly rinse my sinuses. It frees up anything in there so you can blow it all out.

I also breathe in steam so that if anything is forming in my lungs, it loosens and I can cough it up.

The act of blowing and coughing mucus will reduce the duration of the cold because the mucus carries out the infection.

It is better to flush it out because cold medicines suppress your symptoms which in turn keeps the mucus in your body longer. Taking cold medicine may help you feel better, but it will cause your cold to stay longer.

On top of rinsing, I drink herbal teas (ask your doctor which herbs to avoid before you buy any of the herbals). I take extra Vitamin B and C (the B will give you more energy if you need it).

This may sound weird but whenever I feel like I am getting a cold, I eat tons of raw veggies. I snack on veggies all day long and sometimes the cold never takes hold, and if it does, only lasts a day or two at most.

pregnant bellyJoin us in the Pregnancy Group -

sissychristi, Pregnancy Group Mod

ElijahsMom211
by Platinum Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:42 PM

I'm already drinking tea, so I've got that one down.. :o)

I've been trying to eat more veggies (mainly carrotts) and also add an apple here and there..

I'll remember the saline thing when I get stuffed up, but right now I'm blowing my nose a ton. :) I cough every once in awhile, mainly from walking and asthma mixed w/a bit of congestion.. I'm going to try to take a hot bath (but not TOO hot) before I go to bed for the steam..

I just want to make sure that I'm doing all I can to kick this cold's a$$.

Quoting sissychristi:

Doing a rinse will help with any mucus forming in your sinuses. I have a neti pot (you can find them at walgreens) and use the saline solution that comes with it to thoroughly rinse my sinuses. It frees up anything in there so you can blow it all out.

I also breathe in steam so that if anything is forming in my lungs, it loosens and I can cough it up.

The act of blowing and coughing mucus will reduce the duration of the cold because the mucus carries out the infection.

It is better to flush it out because cold medicines suppress your symptoms which in turn keeps the mucus in your body longer. Taking cold medicine may help you feel better, but it will cause your cold to stay longer.

On top of rinsing, I drink herbal teas (ask your doctor which herbs to avoid before you buy any of the herbals). I take extra Vitamin B and C (the B will give you more energy if you need it).

This may sound weird but whenever I feel like I am getting a cold, I eat tons of raw veggies. I snack on veggies all day long and sometimes the cold never takes hold, and if it does, only lasts a day or two at most.

pregnancy
jwebster80
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 8:41 AM

Sorry it took me so long to get back, I was looking for the sheet from my DR. and after searching, it was in my purse LOL. 

For cold/sinus :  Tylenol cold, Sudafed, Chlortrimeton, Robitussin DM and Neosyneohrine nose drops.  All the reg strength, and plain versions.

Headaches: Reg. Tylenol

Constipation: Colace

Diarrhea:  Imodium D, Kaopectate

Indigestion:  Tums, Maalox

Hopes this help (if you are not already feeling better lol)

Megara
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 8:45 AM

I am getting over a cold, and I took Tylenol, Benadryl (although it did nothing!), and rinsed out my nose with saline several times a day, and used a humidifier in my room.

I generally go by this chart when I'm pregnant:

ProblemSafe to take
Heartburn, gas and bloating, upset stomachAntacids for heartburn (Maalox, Mylanta, Rolaids, Tums)

Simethicone for gas pains (Gas-X, Maalox Anti-Gas, Mylanta Gas, Mylicon)
Cough or coldGuaifenesin, an expectorant (Hytuss, Mucinex, Naldecon Senior EX, Robitussin)

Dextromethorphan, a cough suppressant (Benylin Adult, Robitussin Maximum Strength Cough, Scot-Tussin DM, Vicks 44 Cough Relief)

Guaifenesin plus dextromethorphan (Benylin Expectorant, Robitussin DM, Vicks 44E)

Cough drops

Vicks VapoRub

Avoid cold remedies that contain alcohol. Also avoid the decongestants pseudoephedrine and phenylephrine, which can affect blood flow to the placenta.
Pain relief, headache, and feverAcetaminophen (Anacin Aspirin-Free, Tylenol)
Allergy reliefChlorpheniramine, an antihistamine (Chlor-Trimeton allergy tablets)

Loratadine, an antihistamine (Alavert, Claritin, Tavist ND, Triaminic Allerchews)

Diphenhydramine, an antihistamine (Banophen, Benadryl, Diphenhist, Genahist)
Constipation, hemorrhoids, and diarrheaPsyllium (Konsyl-D, Metamucil, Modane Bulk, Perdiem)

Polycarbophil (Equalactin, Fiber-Lax, FiberNorm, Konsyl-Fiber, Mitrolan)

Methylcellulose (Citrucel, Unifiber)

Other laxatives and stool softeners (Colace, Dulcolax, Maltsupex, milk of magnesia)

Hemorrhoid creams (Anusol, Preparation H, Tucks)

Loperamide, anti-diarrhea medication (Imodium, Kaopectate II, Maalox Anti-Diarrheal, Pepto Diarrhea Control)
Yeast infections and other fungal infections such as athlete's footClotrimazole (Cruex, Gyne-Lotrimin 3, Lotrimin AF, Mycelex 7)

Miconazole (Desenex, Femizol-M, Micatin, Monistat 3)

Terbinafine (Lamisil AT)

Tioconazole (Monistat 1, Vagistat 1)

Butoconazole (Femstat 3, Mycelex 3)

Butenafine (Lotrimin Ultra)

Tolnaftate (Absorbine Athlete's Foot Cream, Absorbine Footcare, Genaspor, Tinactin)

Undecylenic Acid and derivatives (Cruex, Desenex, Fungi Cure, Tinacide)

Certain Cruex, Desenex, and Fungi Cure products may contain other antifungal agents not listed here that should not be used during pregnancy. Check the labels carefully.
Insomnia
Diphenhydramine (Benadryl, Maximum Strength Unisom SleepGels, Nytol, Sominex)

Doxylamine succinate (Unisom Nighttime Sleep-Aid)
First-aid preparationsHydrocortisone (Cortaid, Lanacort), Polysporin
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)