Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baby Questions...Opinions Please

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:07 PM
  • 15 Replies

Hey ladies!  This is my first baby, but I know a lot of you have more than one and I just had a few questions to ask your opinions of. I realize that I'll get differing opinions and that every baby is different and what not, but I'd still like the feedback!

1. I plan to bottle-feed. What bottles did you find worked best? I've yet to buy any and I'm not exactly sure which ones to buy. DH and I both have agreed we don't want to use the drop-ins though.

2. As far as disposable diaper disposal, what did you find useful? One of those diaper genie things or did you just put them in the trash? I realize they now have trash bag that have "odor shield" so that you don't have the stink of trash, but I'm so unsure of which way to go

3. Is a sleep positioner something valuable to have for baby? Would I use one with a crib, bassinet, or both?

4. Baby towels and burp cloths, how many do I really need?

5. What's the best way to warm up a bottle? A bottle warmer, microwave, or what? I've heard that microwaves destroy the nutrients in formula, but I'm not sure about bottle warmers because I haven't heard much about them.

6. Baby will be in a bassinet for a little bit after coming home. In fact my Dad just bought us one today. What I'm wondering is do I really need one of those fancy little liner things for it or would I be better off with just having the sheet on the pad? I'm really clueless on this...

Sorry if I sound like a complete idiot, but like I said before...This is my first baby and I'm a little clueless. Thanks!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
housefullofkidz
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:11 PM

1. I plan to bottle-feed. What bottles did you find worked best? I've yet to buy any and I'm not exactly sure which ones to buy. DH and I both have agreed we don't want to use the drop-ins though.  I actually LOVE the drop ins, no scrubbing the inside of bottles.

2. As far as disposable diaper disposal, what did you find useful? One of those diaper genie things or did you just put them in the trash? I realize they now have trash bag that have "odor shield" so that you don't have the stink of trash, but I'm so unsure of which way to go I just use the trash with it in a walmart bag.

3. Is a sleep positioner something valuable to have for baby? Would I use one with a crib, bassinet, or both? never used one.

4. Baby towels and burp cloths, how many do I really need? Baby towels, I would say 2. Burp cloths... It depends on the baby I would have at least 5.

5. What's the best way to warm up a bottle? A bottle warmer, microwave, or what? I've heard that microwaves destroy the nutrients in formula, but I'm not sure about bottle warmers because I haven't heard much about them. Never a microwave. I just stick them in a cup of hot water.

6. Baby will be in a bassinet for a little bit after coming home. In fact my Dad just bought us one today. What I'm wondering is do I really need one of those fancy little liner things for it or would I be better off with just having the sheet on the pad? I'm really clueless on this... Not sure...

There are two ways to live your life - one is as though nothing is a miracle, the other is as though everything is a miracle. Albert Einstein andee.jpg picture by us5dots Join us in the Pregnancy Group Housefullofkidz, Pregnancy Group Mod 

Twinboysmom22
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:12 PM

1. I plan to bottle-feed. What bottles did you find worked best? I've yet to buy any and I'm not exactly sure which ones to buy. DH and I both have agreed we don't want to use the drop-ins though.

I liked the gerber ones the best I believe.  You can get them at walmart in a 3 pack, usually the one they have most of there.  Sorry it has been 4 years since I bought them so I forgot exactly what kind lol.

2. As far as disposable diaper disposal, what did you find useful? One of those diaper genie things or did you just put them in the trash? I realize they now have trash bag that have "odor shield" so that you don't have the stink of trash, but I'm so unsure of which way to go

I loved my diaper genie.  But I had to empty mine out everyday since I had 2 babies, that is why the odor wasn't bad for me.  If you don't keep it full ofr days then you will be ok and odor wont linger.

3. Is a sleep positioner something valuable to have for baby? Would I use one with a crib, bassinet, or both?

I never used one. My kids loved to be swaddled (hospital will show you how to do it) and they just stayed still when they slept.

4. Baby towels and burp cloths, how many do I really need?

I say buy atleast 6 towels, and burp clothes TONS!!!! If you have a spit up baby you will need a lot.  But some get lucky and have babies who don't.  I had two very big on spitting up lol.

5. What's the best way to warm up a bottle? A bottle warmer, microwave, or what? I've heard that microwaves destroy the nutrients in formula, but I'm not sure about bottle warmers because I haven't heard much about them.

I used a microwave..I was lazy.

6. Baby will be in a bassinet for a little bit after coming home. In fact my Dad just bought us one today. What I'm wondering is do I really need one of those fancy little liner things for it or would I be better off with just having the sheet on the pad? I'm really clueless on this...

No need for the liner, if you want one then get one. But your baby will be just fine in there like that.  The less items and things in the sleeping area the better!

LaceyN1121
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:16 PM

You don't sound like a complete idiot, you just need help figuring things out and even moms of more than 1 baby still need help, this will be my second and I still need help.

With my first I bought the bottles that were bent so the air could escape I know playtex makes them I loved them, then moved on to more regular (non specific brands).  I started off with 6 bottles and when she would nap I would wash them. But bought more because it became a hassle when she didn't nap as much.

With my first we just threw them in the trash but we take trash out on a daily basis, but with this one I am wanting to get a diaper genie but may not buy it.

sleep positioner never had one, I was up checking on my first through out the night any way because I was super paranoid being a first time mom.

Baby towels my daughter had 5 that would last her almost 2 weeks and we were always doing laundry so probably 5 would be max, the burp rags, I could never have enough, I had at least 12 starting out. This really depends on how much laundry you do and how often you do it.

The best way I warmed up bottles was in a pan of boiling water for a few minutes, but the bottle warmers have helped my sister out a lot and its very easy.

Bassinet my daughter slept in one when we would be at my friends it would just be a sheet and the bad I didn't have anything other than that, she also slept in a crib or a playpen during naps.

I hope these answers helped you out.

pregnancy calendar
sparklebug86
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:20 PM

1. I plan to bottle-feed. What bottles did you find worked best? I've yet to buy any and I'm not exactly sure which ones to buy. DH and I both have agreed we don't want to use the drop-ins though. As long as they dont have acid reflux, any bottle is great. We used Nuk bottles until he started spitting up and then we switched to drop ins

2. As far as disposable diaper disposal, what did you find useful? One of those diaper genie things or did you just put them in the trash? I realize they now have trash bag that have "odor shield" so that you don't have the stink of trash, but I'm so unsure of which way to go  We have a baby trend diamper champ. They are great because you can use either regular garbage bags or grocery bags :)

3. Is a sleep positioner something valuable to have for baby? Would I use one with a crib, bassinet, or both?  We had one with my son and I will use it again. I feel like I had a little more peace of mind knowing that he was limited as far as his movements.

4. Baby towels and burp cloths, how many do I really need? Depends. I bought a ton of towels and washcloths although I think two would have sufficed. As far as burp cloths, I bought receiving blankets because my son spit up alot and the burp clothes werent big enough to catch the spit up before it ran onto ours shirts.

5. What's the best way to warm up a bottle? A bottle warmer, microwave, or what? I've heard that microwaves destroy the nutrients in formula, but I'm not sure about bottle warmers because I haven't heard much about them. A bottle warmer is great. You can have it in your room or the babies room so that you dont have to travel to the kitchen (which in our case is downstairs.)

6. Baby will be in a bassinet for a little bit after coming home. In fact my Dad just bought us one today. What I'm wondering is do I really need one of those fancy little liner things for it or would I be better off with just having the sheet on the pad? I'm really clueless on this...  Is it a bassinet or a pack-n-play with a bassinet feature? A sheet is always great so that they wont stain the pad underneath. We used a pack-n-play with the built in bassinet feature with my son but with this baby I want a regular bassinet because they take up a lot less room!

CafeMom Tickers

PaigeAlysse
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:21 PM

1. I plan to bottle-feed. What bottles did you find worked best? I've yet to buy any and I'm not exactly sure which ones to buy. DH and I both have agreed we don't want to use the drop-ins though.   We used the Dr. Brown's bottles. A little more to put together, but my son spit up a lot, so it helped.

2. As far as disposable diaper disposal, what did you find useful? One of those diaper genie things or did you just put them in the trash? I realize they now have trash bag that have "odor shield" so that you don't have the stink of trash, but I'm so unsure of which way to go   I have a diaper genie. It's convenient for me so we're not constantly filling up trash cans around our house. And, my son, now 2, knows exactly where the diapers go and helps too :)

3. Is a sleep positioner something valuable to have for baby? Would I use one with a crib, bassinet, or both?  ???

4. Baby towels and burp cloths, how many do I really need?  I had like 4 towels, and tons of burp rags! Like I said, though, my son spit up a lot so it was either constantly be washing burp rags or buy a whole bunch...

5. What's the best way to warm up a bottle? A bottle warmer, microwave, or what? I've heard that microwaves destroy the nutrients in formula, but I'm not sure about bottle warmers because I haven't heard much about them.  You don't even have to warm up the bottle. We either just used warm water (with formula) or stuck it in warm water. When he got older, he didn't even mind it cold.

6. Baby will be in a bassinet for a little bit after coming home. In fact my Dad just bought us one today. What I'm wondering is do I really need one of those fancy little liner things for it or would I be better off with just having the sheet on the pad? I'm really clueless on this... I don't think I had a liner, either.

sparklebug86
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:26 PM

I stopped warming up my sons formula around 4 months. We used the powder and the water was room temp so bottles werent cold anyway.

Although..... some babies WILL NOT drink bottles that arent warmed up. Some are more picky than others. My son was super easy going and im hoping baby #2 will be as well :)

Quoting PaigeAlysse:

5. What's the best way to warm up a bottle? A bottle warmer, microwave, or what? I've heard that microwaves destroy the nutrients in formula, but I'm not sure about bottle warmers because I haven't heard much about them.  You don't even have to warm up the bottle. We either just used warm water (with formula) or stuck it in warm water. When he got older, he didn't even mind it cold.

CafeMom Tickers

robin1725
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:34 PM

1. I plan to bottle-feed. What bottles did you find worked best? I've yet to buy any and I'm not exactly sure which ones to buy. DH and I both have agreed we don't want to use the drop-ins though. I will be using Born Free bottles....I got the glass ones but as the plastic ones are BPA free too so they are good. I like them because the nipple is very similar to a womans nipple. Also, they help prevent air from getting in and they don't leak. Avent bottles are horrible with leaking.

2. As far as disposable diaper disposal, what did you find useful? One of those diaper genie things or did you just put them in the trash? I realize they now have trash bag that have "odor shield" so that you don't have the stink of trash, but I'm so unsure of which way to go. I'm using a Diaper Genie. I bought those disposable bags and will put the poop diapers in there before sticking it into the genie and will change it once a week to avoid any smell problems.

3. Is a sleep positioner something valuable to have for baby? Would I use one with a crib, bassinet, or both? A positioner for me is a must have. You wouldn't want your baby to roll over in the middle of the night and suffocate. You can use it in the crib, bassinet, your bed, etc. I have mine in her bassinet and when she moves to her crib in a few months I will put it in there until she is ready to be on her tummy.

4. Baby towels and burp cloths, how many do I really need? You only really need a couple of baby towels. I wound up getting more than I need at my baby shower so that's the only reason. Otherwise I would have only bought 2 or 3. I have 6 now. You will however need a lot of burp cloths. They don't have to be really fancy one, but babies spit up a lot so you will need quite a few unless you want to constantly be doing laundry. I think I have around 20.

5. What's the best way to warm up a bottle? A bottle warmer, microwave, or what? I've heard that microwaves destroy the nutrients in formula, but I'm not sure about bottle warmers because I haven't heard much about them. Don't waste your money on a bottle warmer. They are nice but not worth the $60 that they cost. I usually just take a pot and boil some water, stick the bottle in there for a couple of minutes and you are done. You are right though about microwaves being bad for destroying nutrients so don't do that. If you want to use the microwave, just heat up the water alone in the bottle, then add the formula once it is already heated. If you will use breast milk at all, you can not use a microwave at all. Just stick to a pot on a stove and just watch it carefully...it only takes a couple of minutes.

6. Baby will be in a bassinet for a little bit after coming home. In fact my Dad just bought us one today. What I'm wondering is do I really need one of those fancy little liner things for it or would I be better off with just having the sheet on the pad? I'm really clueless on this... You don't need anything fancy for your bassinet. Just get a mattress pad and the sheet. That way if your baby pees in the night it won't ruin the bassinet mattress.

Good luck!!!

CafeMom Tickers
Megara
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:40 PM

We breastfed and co-slept, so I can't help w/ most of your questions....

But we like the Diaper Champ, and I use "odor-shield" bags in it.  Also, I would have about a dozen burp rags and keep them all over the house so you are always near one!

TaraKathleen
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:53 PM

1. I plan to bottle-feed. What bottles did you find worked best? I've yet to buy any and I'm not exactly sure which ones to buy. DH and I both have agreed we don't want to use the drop-ins though.            I love the Avent bottles. My babies had trouble spitting up and they helped.

2. As far as disposable diaper disposal, what did you find useful? One of those diaper genie things or did you just put them in the trash? I realize they now have trash bag that have "odor shield" so that you don't have the stink of trash, but I'm so unsure of which way to go    We just used the plastic store bags like someone else said and put them in the garbage.

3. Is a sleep positioner something valuable to have for baby? Would I use one with a crib, bassinet, or both?       We never used anything like that. I dont feel its a necessity. 

4. Baby towels and burp cloths, how many do I really need?    I say 2 towels and maybe 8 burp clothes. I had a ton of bibs because like i said before my babies spit up alot. That way you arent changing their outfit multiple times a day. Baby spit up smells pretty bad lol.

5. What's the best way to warm up a bottle? A bottle warmer, microwave, or what? I've heard that microwaves destroy the nutrients in formula, but I'm not sure about bottle warmers because I haven't heard much about them.    I used powder formula and really warm tap water. Just shook it up and it was ready to go.

6. Baby will be in a bassinet for a little bit after coming home. In fact my Dad just bought us one today. What I'm wondering is do I really need one of those fancy little liner things for it or would I be better off with just having the sheet on the pad? I'm really clueless on this...                I would say just use a sheet. The least amount of things to clean and the easier they are to just throw in the washer works best.

Good luck. It's so overwhelming at first but you will survive. We all do:)

2BabIez2BeBaker
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:57 PM

Hey ladies!  This is my first baby, but I know a lot of you have more than one and I just had a few questions to ask your opinions of. I realize that I'll get differing opinions and that every baby is different and what not, but I'd still like the feedback! 

1. I plan to bottle-feed. What bottles did you find worked best? I've yet to buy any and I'm not exactly sure which ones to buy. DH and I both have agreed we don't want to use the drop-ins though.I used Dr. Brown bottles with my DD and she hardly ever spit up!! Once she was old enough to remove her own gas (burp) we switched to regular bottles - like the fancy decorated ones you can find everywhere - even the dollar store :) - what was nice is that the DR. Brown nipples are the same shape as the reg bottles so my daughter had NO problem adjusting to a diff. bottle that way!

2. As far as disposable diaper disposal, what did you find useful? One of those diaper genie things or did you just put them in the trash? I realize they now have trash bag that have "odor shield" so that you don't have the stink of trash, but I'm so unsure of which way to go I did use the diaper genie..for a little while.. then I'd forget to buy refils etc etc..  and I just got a small (office size) waste basket and set it next to her changing table and lined it with walmart bags.. so each day I'd tie up a bag and get a new one... and for REALLY stinky diapers, I used the little disposable diaper bags you can get to put in your diaper bags for disposal in public places.. those kept the odar down as well!!!   I plan on using a trash can again with this baby... no need to waste money on a genie or a champ in my opinion

3. Is a sleep positioner something valuable to have for baby? Would I use one with a crib, bassinet, or both?  I used one with my DD because she was soo tiny and she hated being in blankets when she slept.. so I used the positioner for her sides, then i got a little pillow (shaped like a bobby kind of, but it was very tiny) that cradled her head because I didn't want her to have that flat head that you see alot of babies have... and well, she kept a perfect little bitty round head!!!  I've since lost my positioner though, and I can't say it was vitatal, but I'll prob get another one! and I didn't have a bassinet for her, but Id say you could use it for both!

4. Baby towels and burp cloths, how many do I really need? I had a BUNCH of towels but...  I prob only used 2? I had to thick hooded ones that I prefered and just washed and reused them... the cheap thin towels I found to be a waste IMo! and same with the wash cloths.. however I did use several of them just because I'd loose them in the laundry lol....  and burp cloths, have AT LEAST 1 for every day of the week.. just incase you get behind on laundry.. which happens!!!  I didn't have a super spit-up baby, but she was a messy eater and they were handy to wipe her little face of with as well as avoiding spilling things on your own cloths!!!   Don't forget about bibs!!  handy handy handy!! they'll save alot of your little ones cloths!!!

5. What's the best way to warm up a bottle? A bottle warmer, microwave, or what? I've heard that microwaves destroy the nutrients in formula, but I'm not sure about bottle warmers because I haven't heard much about them.  I hated the bottle warmer, lol. aparently I kept doing something wrong, cuz it was constantly blowing formula out the top of the bottles? idk.. it was annoying so that lasted about a week! ... the microwave was good in my opinion - never head that it cooked out the nutrients, my baby did just fine lol... and honestly.. I stopped warming them up after a few months because she just didn't care...  warm temp water seemed to be the way she prefered it! lol...  now my neice.. she won't take her bottles unless they're warm! all depends on your baby really :)

6. Baby will be in a bassinet for a little bit after coming home. In fact my Dad just bought us one today. What I'm wondering is do I really need one of those fancy little liner things for it or would I be better off with just having the sheet on the pad? I'm really clueless on this...  I was told to use a liner thing for my DD in her crib and what not.. but if a mess was made, I just took off her sheet, scrubed the area and washed that sheet and put on a new one.. maybe the liner would save you a little time?! can't say they're mandatory though!!

Good luck on your new little one!!!!  Don't feel like an idiot momma, we were ALL there at one point in time!!!!!!

Big Sister Khaymin Sure Can't Wait To Meet Her Baby Brother!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)