Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

C-section....*UPDATE*

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:18 PM
  • 33 Replies

So, I had my growth ultrasound today and they said she is measuring at 9lbs 7 oz and I'm still 2cm and have been for a month and she still has not dropped. So, they set up a c-section tomorrow morning. We have to be there at 5am but I won't even get into the O.R. until 7:45-8. Don't really get that but, whatever. I'm pretty nervous. This is not how I envisioned my labor going but, I don't see what other option I have. I can risk waiting to go into labor and her get stuck and have to have an emergency c-section but I think that would freak me out even more than a planned one. I was hoping to be the first female in my immediate family to not have to have a c-section. :(  Guess it's not in the stars for me. I was pretty pissed at first because knowing my history, they should have done a growth ultrasound 2 weeks ago and this would have been avoided. But, I'm starting to come to terms with it. If you are going to try and talk me out of it or make me feel bad, please don't reply. I chose to do this because I feel it will be a safer method of delivery for my daughter. Even though it was the one thing I was hoping to avoid.

Emberlynn Elizabeth was born at 7:57am weighing 9lbs 8 oz. She seems to be BFing pretty well. She just likes to stop every couple of minutes and fall asleep and I just keep stroking the side of her head or her cheek to get her to continue BFing.

marineswink  expecting girl

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cynthje
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:21 PM

I'm sorry to say this but why plan a c-section? There is no reliable way to determine a babies size until it is born, ultrasounds can be way off and there is no way to predict how the birth will go at all. You can not look at a woman and predict what size baby she can or can not birth! Even ACOG advices against planned c-sections and inductions for suspected larger babies!

My sisters 9.9 pound baby was easier to birth than her 7 pound one, the size of the baby is not that important.

Throughout the world, there exists a group of women who feel mightily drawn to giving care to women in childbirth. At the same time maternal and independent, responsive to a mother's needs, yet accepting full responsibility as her attendant; such women are natural midwives. Without the presence and acceptance of the midwife, obstetrics becomes aggressive, technical, and inhuman.

Professor G.J. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam

dmay917
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:28 PM

Everything should go very smoothly tomorrow. I had an unplanned c-section with my first and it was soo simple. I can't imagine having a "normal" delivery..that freaks me out..I mean I want to have one but I know if I do how nervous I'll be. The surgery will be over  before you know it and you'll be holding your beautiful baby..congratulations and best wishes to you and your family!

MarineWife1108
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:30 PM

Quoting Cynthje:

I'm sorry to say this but why plan a c-section? There is no reliable way to determine a babies size until it is born, ultrasounds can be way off and there is no way to predict how the birth will go at all. You can not look at a woman and predict what size baby she can or can not birth! Even ACOG advices against planned c-sections and inductions for suspected larger babies!

My sisters 9.9 pound baby was easier to birth than her 7 pound one, the size of the baby is not that important.

They are doing it because with my son they had to use forceps and pitocin to get him out. My doctor is afraid that if we induced, it would be enough to get her head out but her shoulders may get stuck and that something would break or her nerves be damaged trying to get her out. And if we wait, she will only get bigger. I am pretty sure they are correct on her size. My son was 9lbs 1.2oz. Big babies run in my family as well as c-sections. Hell, I was 10lbs when I was born. With my brother(my mom's first) he got stuck and they had to do an emergency c-section. My sister's son, same thing. My son was the only one who was born without a c-section. That alone is pure luck.

maryjane324m

I didn't skip over the part that said "don't try talking me out of it"... or  "don't make me feel guilty". You're doing what you and your doctor have discussed to be best for your little one. I was just discussing the other day with my mother, that if the doctors thought it wasn't safe to go ahead, or better yet advise you to do something for the sake of the baby, then that's what you should do. They're the MD's not us. Mother's in 3rd world countries are still dying, delivering 10lb + babies, all because they can't afford to see a doctor. or one who has access to an OR. Just remember that you are doing the right thing, regardless of what others say. Good luck! And I agree that given the risk factors and your family history I would much rather have a planned c-section versus a emergency because the baby was in distress. God bless you and your little miracle!

babies
JasonsMom2007

I NEVER trust their sizing!  At 38 weeks I was told my son was already in the high 8's and would easily be born a 10 lb baby if I didn't induce.  I refused.  At 41 weeks my son was born at just under 7 lbs.  As for not dropping, there is still time!  Why not induce instead of a c-section anyways?  But yeah, I would refuse.  It scares me how small and unready my son could have been at 38 weeks!

NoraDun
by Platinum Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:31 PM

They made a comment about possibly wanting me to have a c-section with my last. They kept telling me he was easily 8 1/2-9lbs at 37 wks. Well I ignored them and even when I was in preterm labor at 36 wks wanted them to stop my contractions. They kept tellimg me my baby was so big that its wasn't a problem. Thank GOD my labor stopped and I didn't deliever until 38 wks. My little peanut came out 6 lbs 5 oz and 19 inches long. He was tiny!! He was in preemie clothes for a month. It took him an hour to start breathing on his own. They guessed him to be around 36 wks gestation and even though I had an early u/s to confim my dates they were way off. If I would of went into labor at what I believed to be 36 wks I would of actually been 32-34 wks and that would of been so dangerous. Don't trust them hunny. Let your baby come when he/she is ready. Don't rush her and then if you need help delivering so be it!! Good luck and I hope you take our good advice!!

www.cafemom.com/group/TTCorPregnant Come join: TTC/Pregnant 2010 or 2011

MarriedJess
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:34 PM

I'm sorry the birth of your daughter is not going to go the way you planned..but when does life ever? lol  Good luck with your day tomorrow and try to remember that once you have your little one in your arms how she got there really won't matter

Our little Beetle

Mommy, Daddy and Big sister Ella can't wait to meet Ollan Stephen!!

mrsJLA
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:42 PM

You know, I would not want to risk going through the pitocin and forceps again. DH was over 10lbs (I think 10lbs 4 oz) and not only did they have to use forceps but they broke his clavical too. I didn't want that experience so when they gave me the option to induce (she was measuring large, didn't drop, was laying almost sideways,  I didn't efface/dialate, nothing..) or told me I could opt for a C/S I took the C/S. I know my body and I knew she was a big girl (She was 9lbs 3 oz) and I have a small frame, so for me I am glad I did it.  The worst part is the wait to get the spinal/anesthesia. My nerves were a wreck, but once I was numb, I was fine.

Quoting MarineWife1108:

Quoting Cynthje:

They are doing it because with my son they had to use forceps and pitocin to get him out. My doctor is afraid that if we induced, it would be enough to get her head out but her shoulders may get stuck and that something would break or her nerves be damaged trying to get her out. And if we wait, she will only get bigger. I am pretty sure they are correct on her size. My son was 9lbs 1.2oz. Big babies run in my family as well as c-sections. Hell, I was 10lbs when I was born. With my brother(my mom's first) he got stuck and they had to do an emergency c-section. My sister's son, same thing. My son was the only one who was born without a c-section. That alone is pure luck.

Join us on

The New Jersey Moms Group!
     NJ Moms Group Mod

doulala
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:44 PM
Quoting MarineWife1108:

This is not how I envisioned my labor going but, I don't see what other option I have.

Even though it was the one thing I was hoping to avoid.

Well, you do still have options.   If you want to have more time to learn about them you can reschedule-cancel.  If you really want to avoid this then I might help connect you to a birth doula who can help you out.  

I am sure your head is spinning right now~  please know I am here and MORE THAN HAPPY to help!!!   :-)

Best wishes, good luck, HUGS!!!!

:-D

Birth is not only about making babies. Birth is about making mothers ~ strong, competent, capable mothers who trust themselves and know their inner strength.

~Barbara Katz Rothma

When you change the way you view birth, the way you birth will change. -Mongan

Cynthje
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:46 PM

There are many things that influence how your first birth went like if you were on your back in a bed or not, did you get an epidural, did you push while laying on your back, was there coached pushing involved etc..

I'm not trying to talk you out of anything but i do think that there are more factors involved than just the size of the babies. Good luck!

Quoting MarineWife1108:

Quoting Cynthje:

Throughout the world, there exists a group of women who feel mightily drawn to giving care to women in childbirth. At the same time maternal and independent, responsive to a mother's needs, yet accepting full responsibility as her attendant; such women are natural midwives. Without the presence and acceptance of the midwife, obstetrics becomes aggressive, technical, and inhuman.

Professor G.J. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)