Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Low blood platelets what does this mean?

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:28 PM
  • 2 Replies

My nurse called today and told me I have low blood platelets, they want me to come take more blood today. What does this mean and how does it affect me or my baby? Does anyone else have this?

Tiana~mom of 2 boys

Thankful for my family!

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
housefullofkidz
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 6:52 PM

I have no idea. Here is a bump for you.

There are two ways to live your life - one is as though nothing is a miracle, the other is as though everything is a miracle. Albert Einstein andee.jpg picture by us5dots Join us in the Pregnancy Group Housefullofkidz, Pregnancy Group Mod 

ALD1303
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 7:30 PM

you know whenever you get a cut or a scratch and you get a scab? Well that's the job of platelets, they help you from bleeding out by clumping together (clotting). A low platelet count may mean you have a clotting disorder. I definitely would go in to see your doctor right away to get that taken care of. I don't want to scare you but just to show you how dangerous it is during pregnancy..a friend of mine was pregnant with twin girls and had a clotting disorder  and the girls ended up being born at 25 weeks. One is a quadraplegic (pretty much paralyzed from the neck down with some movement to her legs but are more like spasms) and the other one's lungs were so premature that now she has a hole in her neck with a plastic tube in it (called a trach) to help her breath with artificial oxygen..good luck I'll be praying for you

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)