Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question for moms who have had a previous natural birth

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 3:15 PM
  • 19 Replies

Which was worse, the labor or the delivery?  The 12 hours of labor with my son did NOT bother me.  I have a very high pain tolerance.  I'm just wondering if delivery is going to be worse than labor or not?  I'm going for a VBAC this time but I have NO CLUE what to expect when it comes to delivery!

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 3:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NoraDun
by Platinum Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 3:17 PM

Well I have failed to go natural b/c of a sucky hospital but plan to do so with my first. With my second though they messed up the epidural and gave me a spinal which wore of in less then 30 min. The delivery was easier then the 8 hrs of labor I did without any meds.

www.cafemom.com/group/TTCorPregnant Come join: TTC/Pregnant 2010 or 2011

riotgrrl
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 3:19 PM

I found the last half hour to 45 minutes of labor (the transition phase) to be the most painful part. Pushing and the actual delivery are uncomfortable at moments, but not painful like that.

doulala
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 3:19 PM

I don't know that the word "worse" can really describe birth, imo.     That is negative--   and birth is not!   :-)

With my waterbirths, labor was intense, strong, it was work to focus through at times.
Pushing-delivery was not a huge deal.   Not painful by any means!

With my 2nd baby, the last hour was a breeze!    My 10-pound baby slipped out without even tearing me.

It took a lot of work to get to this place, though.   I had to work to become confident during pregnancy in order to have this ecstatic birth.
SOOOO WORTH IT!!!!!    :-D

Birth is not only about making babies. Birth is about making mothers ~ strong, competent, capable mothers who trust themselves and know their inner strength.

~Barbara Katz Rothma

When you change the way you view birth, the way you birth will change. -Mongan

stellarluna
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 3:21 PM

even after staying up for 32 hours without any rest whatsoever, it felt very good and rewarding to push!  it gets to a point where you just want to feel like you're doing something!  Yes, it burns and I tore with each, but as soon as that baby is out, it ends.  You instantly feel AWESOME!!!  All I wanted was a bath and some food and I was on top of the world!  It's the biggest adrenaline rush of your life! 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Cynthje
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 3:24 PM

During my first birth the pushing phase was the hardest but that was because the baby was posterior and had a turned face. It took me 3 hours to push him out, it was not exremely painful just long. With my second birth nothing was hard, i  didnt even realise i was in transition and it involved no active pushing at all, all i did was breathe and my body pushed her out. The whole thing was almost pain free..it was very very easy.

Throughout the world, there exists a group of women who feel mightily drawn to giving care to women in childbirth. At the same time maternal and independent, responsive to a mother's needs, yet accepting full responsibility as her attendant; such women are natural midwives. Without the presence and acceptance of the midwife, obstetrics becomes aggressive, technical, and inhuman.

Professor G.J. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam

K.a.C.87
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 3:24 PM

i am bumping this post. kinda curious too

i only got to 4CM with my dd before i had my csection...but had no problem with that.

i really wanna do all natural for this VBAC too :)

I am a 21 year old Wisconsin mama to my precious daughter, Eliahna Maree, loving fiance to lee, pregnant with our little boy!! (1.26.10) Bryant Allyn. (trying to have successful VBAC), Disposible diapering, ERFing, breastfeeding, NON-CIO, Vaxing mommy turned to NON-VAXing!

visit our family

Join us in the Pregnancy Group     K.A.C.87, Pregnancy Group Mod

mommy2bella
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 3:26 PM

Both of my deliveries were completely natural...no drugs of any kind. I agree with the PP who said that transition is the most difficult. For me, it was pretty fast both times though. Once I hit 8 cm. it only took me about 20-30 more minutes to get to 10 cm. Pushing was a relief for me...I pushed for 4 hours with my first and it still wasn't horrible. My second came out with 3 pushes and she was a pound bigger. lol.

So...to answer your question, I guess I would have to say that labor is a little more difficult than the actual delivery, but really only the transition part of it.

Good luck and I hope that you have the labor and delivery that you want!

NoraDun
by Platinum Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 3:34 PM

I guess that is why my delivery is easy too b/c it took me less then 10 min to push out my first and only 2 1/2 pushes to push out my second. I hope my third goes as easy!!

Quoting mommy2bella:

Both of my deliveries were completely natural...no drugs of any kind. I agree with the PP who said that transition is the most difficult. For me, it was pretty fast both times though. Once I hit 8 cm. it only took me about 20-30 more minutes to get to 10 cm. Pushing was a relief for me...I pushed for 4 hours with my first and it still wasn't horrible. My second came out with 3 pushes and she was a pound bigger. lol.

So...to answer your question, I guess I would have to say that labor is a little more difficult than the actual delivery, but really only the transition part of it.

Good luck and I hope that you have the labor and delivery that you want!

www.cafemom.com/group/TTCorPregnant Come join: TTC/Pregnant 2010 or 2011

JasonsMom2007
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 3:36 PM

Thank you so much ladies!  I'm not afraid of labor or delivery in any way, just curious :)  I know it is what my body was made to do and I know any pain that I may experience (I did have back labor with my son and even that wasn't terrible, the nurses and my OB were standing there in complete shock that my contractions were that hard and I wasn't really bothered by them) is not anything to fear, but to embrace and allow.

Before I was pregnant with my son I kept dreaming of having a baby boy via a c-section because everything went wrong with my labor.  Then there was something wrong with both of us and we had to stay in the hospital forever!  Guess what, I had an emergency c-section because he was so wrapped up in the cord he couldn't come out!  Then I had a severe infection and he had severe jaundice.  We were in the hosptial for 6 days.

The dreams before I concieved this one have been totally different.  We arrive at the hospital just in time to give birth to a perfect little girl.  My VBAC goes off without a hitch and we are able to leave quickly.  Now, I always thought this dream was strange since as far as I knew the town it took place in doesn't even do VBACs and if you look at genetics the chances of me having a girl are slim to none (there are like 2 girls in the last 5 generations of hubby's family).  Well, turns out they are the closest town that does VBACs and I'm having a girl!  Now if the rest of it will come true I'll be so happy!

meam4444
by Emerald Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 4:01 PM

i had natural delivery with both my kids, and i think the hardest part was when i was around the 8 cm point.  i wsa in such discomfort, and it wasnt over yet.  all i could do was hop up and on on the hospital bed to help ease such pain.  also, i remember i really had to go to the bathroom, and i was it was so hard to actually go to the bathroom.  but them my midwife turned the water on in the bathroom which helped.  the pushing was really hard, but you have the urge to push and you can feel your baby coming threw...so you kind of know how many more pushes you have left and you can give it your all.  also, a great support team is awesome to have.  i had my doula, husband and sister (whose a doctor) .  i remember my husband kissing me on my forehead and telling me i could do it while pushing.  i remember after that it all became so much easier...just that support.

you can do it!  it is hard work, but just think of it as a marathon.  you have 9 months to get your body ready for the labor and delivery.  just set your mind and you can do it!  my doula also asked me if i ever yelled for pain meds and how long she should post pone my thoughts about it or distract me from my pain med idea.  that was really nice. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)