Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HPV cervical cancer!!!!

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 4:58 PM
  • 33 Replies

Okay so i went to my doctors for my regular prenatal appointment and everything was great with my urine and blood work and then they said my papsmear showed HPV cervical cancer! WTF!?? I got the gardisil shot over 2 years ago and i've been with the same man for almost 3 years! Well once i told her that she told me that i could have had it for years and it's just now deciding to show up probably because i'm pregnant! Well now I'm really stressed out because if it is full blown cancer on my cervix nothing can be done because i am pregnant, and i REFUSE to abort the pregnancy to treat the cancer. So i'm just wondering if anyone has been through this while pregnant? please anyone stories would help!

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

toddler girl                                 in love                   stork

Summer Lynne born 4-22-08    Holly and John married 10-28-07    #2 due June 2, 2010

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 4:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JasonsMom2007
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 5:02 PM

Sorry, I have thankfully never been there but I'll be praying for you :(

amber0678
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 5:02 PM

oh i know how bad that sucks...after i had my daughter, they diagnosed me with with HPV and said i had cervical displasia, which "can" lead to cancer...well i have had normal paps ever since. sometimes just the existence of cells that MAY OR MAY NOT become cancerous is there, and it can be dealt with. they actually said you have cancer? did they do a blood test, a biopsy, find a tumor? i mean, maybe your just freaked out and misunderstood a little bit....

CafeMom Tickers

Twinboysmom22
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 5:03 PM

I have never been there! BUT two of my friends BOTH had this happen to them while they were pregnant each time..and for some reason never have it once they deliver the baby.  just have it when pregnant. 

mommyziegler
by Platinum Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 5:04 PM

they did a pap and said i have hpv cervical cancer and now i have to get a colposcopy done dec.17 and thats when they will look at my cervix to see if there are live cancer cells on my cervix. But no biopsy can be done because i'm pregnant.

Quoting amber0678:

oh i know how bad that sucks...after i had my daughter, they diagnosed me with with HPV and said i had cervical displasia, which "can" lead to cancer...well i have had normal paps ever since. sometimes just the existence of cells that MAY OR MAY NOT become cancerous is there, and it can be dealt with. they actually said you have cancer? did they do a blood test, a biopsy, find a tumor? i mean, maybe your just freaked out and misunderstood a little bit....

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

Summer Lynne born 4-22-08    Holly and John married 10-28-07    #2 due June 2, 2010

mzmamiof3
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 5:06 PM

i actually went through the same thing when i was prego for my son, they did a coloscopy ( a camera inside ur vagina to see wats going on inside,some hpv are warts, yes ewwww) and turns out everything was fine, my friend was told the same thing and got tested again and it came back negative, you should check again, good luck

Schleetle
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 5:06 PM

Did they say if it was cancer cells, or pre-cancer cells? I had the same problem. I've always had clean pap smears until this pregnancy one came up abnormal, and then I found I had pre-cancer cells from HPV. I know it had to be from DH since hes the only one of us two thats ever had another partner, and I was so worried. The OB then told me the same thing that its probably something that I've had for years, but is showing up now because of weakened immune system during pregnancy. I was told I don't have cervical cancer, or any warts anything like that, and my body would most likely get rid of the virus over time. It hasn't caused any complications for me, or the baby during this pregnancy so I hope it is the same for you. I was so stressed, and embarrassed by it, but I guess its just one of those things that happens sometimes. I hope everything turns out okay for you.

Pregnancy Ticker

cartersmommy407
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 5:09 PM

I sent you a message

mommyziegler
by Platinum Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 5:10 PM

okay the last three posts made me just feel 100% better thank you so much!

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

gradysmom2006
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 5:11 PM

Pap smears can't detect HPV nor cervical cancer.  It's a screening tool that tells them if you are at risk.  Additional tests must be done.  The HPV test I honestly don't remember how it's done but it's separate from a pap smear.  Cancer can only be confirmed with a biopsy. 

Pregnancy ticker
gradysmom2006
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 5:13 PM

I just wanted to say that HPV is a virus.  Viruses do not "go away".  It may become dormant in your system, but it can always flare back up. 

Quoting Schleetle:

Did they say if it was cancer cells, or pre-cancer cells? I had the same problem. I've always had clean pap smears until this pregnancy one came up abnormal, and then I found I had pre-cancer cells from HPV. I know it had to be from DH since hes the only one of us two thats ever had another partner, and I was so worried. The OB then told me the same thing that its probably something that I've had for years, but is showing up now because of weakened immune system during pregnancy. I was told I don't have cervical cancer, or any warts anything like that, and my body would most likely get rid of the virus over time. It hasn't caused any complications for me, or the baby during this pregnancy so I hope it is the same for you. I was so stressed, and embarrassed by it, but I guess its just one of those things that happens sometimes. I hope everything turns out okay for you.

Pregnancy ticker
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)