Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

UN-necessary pain in birth ??

Posted by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 10:44 PM
  • 50 Replies
2 moms liked this

The less pain, the better, agreed?     ;-)
Check out some helpful info here and learn about what you should know.

Sources of Unnecessary Pain in Childbirth

Does the idea of "unnecessary pain" in labor and birth sound strange to you? Perhaps you thought labor was supposed to be extremely painful, and there was nothing you could do about it.

There are things women do during labor that actually cause the pain to be intensified. Unfortunately, many women do not know what these things are. Understanding how they affect your labor can help you in preventing labor pain.

Tension If you are skeptical of this, try it while you labor. During one contraction, do whatever you want, tensing your muscles. Then, during the next contraction actively relax your muscles. You will feel a difference.

Paying Attention Too Soon Many women become obsessed with timing contractions from the very first contraction. For some, there is a fear that if you do not pay attention, you may miss something. Some of the signs of progress in labor can be subtle, but you will not miss the major signs. When contractions begin, ignore them and go about your day for as long as you can. When the contractions demand more attention, give them only as much as they demand. Contractions will demand your full attention by the time you are in good active labor, which will require a lot of energy. Don't waste your energy by paying attention too early.

Lack of Sleep A tired body is less able to deal with the stress of labor, causing everything to "feel" more even though your body is not doing more work. Be sure to get plenty of rest in the days leading up to your labor. When contractions begin, don't be afraid to take a nap. I promise you will NOT sleep through the birth of your baby. If you have the luxury of a slow starting labor, use the early mild contractions to get some sleep.

Thirst If you do not take sips of water or juice between your contractions, you stand a good chance of becoming dehydrated. When your body is dehydrated, your muscle output is decreased by 30%. That means that your uterus will contract just as hard, but it will do 30% less work. Dehydration also heightens feelings of exhaustion and can elevate your temperature. If your temperature goes up, your medical team, intent on ensuring your baby is healthy, will assume this "fever" is caused by an infection and you may begin to receive antibiotics via injection or IV (which is a pain in and of itself).

Hunger Your body uses food as its energy source. If you are not eating during labor, you are depriving your body of energy it needs to labor. Many hospitals now allow you to eat during labor. If your birthplace does not allow eating, understand that most women lose their desire to eat during active labor, so simply stay home until your desire to eat is gone.

Need to urinate There will be a lot of activity going on in your pelvic region. During active labor you may not be able to distinguish the need to urinate from the other pressures you feel. Your uterus will put pressure on your bladder as contracts, so the best way to prevent pain from an over-full bladder is to urinate frequently (at least every two hours).

Performance Anxiety Also known as going to the hospital too soon. Some women believe that if they can just get to the hospital, everything will happen faster. That is not true. In fact, the move to the hospital can actually be stressful enough to temporarily slow down or stop your contractions. Waiting until you are in good active labor can help prevent this. Being in the hospital too early makes the labor seem slower than if you had stayed at home and busied yourself with your life. Having nurses and doctors checking on you can make the "seeming slow" labor seem even slower, causing the mom to feel that she has to perform better, labor must get moving. This anxiety can be enough to send some women into the fear/tension/pain cycle.

Lying on you Back When you are on your back, the contracting uterus has to move "up" against gravity, which is much more work than simply moving forward. Also, you can constrict the blood flow to the heart, causing you to be light-headed. Staying off you back can help in preventing labor pain.

Understanding Labor Pain

Labor Pain - Myth and Truth
How Painful is Childbirth?
Sources of Pain in Labor
Theories of Pain Management
Positive Pain
Normal Labor Process
When to use Medication
Overcoming Fear of Labor
The Fear Tension Pain Cycle
Mastering Relaxation for Labor

Comfort in Childbirth

Coach's Notebook Main Page
Positions for Labor
Labor Tools
Choosing the Right Position
Choosing the Right Comfort Measure
Setting the Environment
Touch in labor
Vocalization
When will labor start?
Your Birth Place
Doulas

Faith, Acceptance, Surrender         ~Unknown

Fear can be overcome only by Faith.         ~Dr. Grantly Dick-Read

Rain, after all is only rain; it is not bad weather. So also, pain is only pain; unless we resist it, then it becomes torment.            ~I Ching

If I don't know my options, I don't have any.          ~Diana Korte

by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 10:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lanena_aljamila
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 10:59 PM

thanks for this.
...im really considering having my baby naturally, and im looking for ways to manage the discomfort. this is my first, so im sure ill find out when it happens whether or not i can do it naturally or if thats out of the question for me, but...id really like to try.

...with that being said, id also like to stay at home as long as i can before going to the hospital. (for the same reason. if i go too soon, im sure ill be pressured and anxious.) so this was very helpful!

c.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
ttaylor1998
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 11:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Best wishes to you!  You can do it...   you are strong. =)    My biggest mistake with my daughter was going to the hospital too soon. 

These are all wonderful suggestions!

Quoting lanena_aljamila:

thanks for this.
...im really considering having my baby naturally, and im looking for ways to manage the discomfort. this is my first, so im sure ill find out when it happens whether or not i can do it naturally or if thats out of the question for me, but...id really like to try.

...with that being said, id also like to stay at home as long as i can before going to the hospital. (for the same reason. if i go too soon, im sure ill be pressured and anxious.) so this was very helpful!

c.

siggy2 by you.

Next Stocking:  October 26th, 8 p.m. Eastern 

kcangel63
by Gold Member on Nov. 14, 2009 at 11:34 AM

Thank you.  I love your posts as they are always very informative.  :)

This is my 6th and I can always use a little extra information.  :)  It is great to re-read things and keep my mind fresh as to what I should/should not do.  ;)

KatieM
by on Nov. 14, 2009 at 6:16 PM

thanks for the post!

doulala
by Emerald Member on Nov. 19, 2009 at 7:22 PM

Oh, good!    Hope you all have wonderful deliveries!  ;-D

Birth is not only about making babies. Birth is about making mothers ~ strong, competent, capable mothers who trust themselves and know their inner strength.

~Barbara Katz Rothma

When you change the way you view birth, the way you birth will change. -Mongan

stacyemmy
by on Nov. 19, 2009 at 7:29 PM

at my child birth class the doula said that if you're stressed or tense it can slow your labor then she showed us a video of this woman who had stopped progressing then she let out this scream and was delivering almost instantly...afterwards the woman said that she felt all this tension and she screamed to let it out...

I thought it was interesting! lol

pregnant

baby

doulala
by Emerald Member on Nov. 19, 2009 at 9:27 PM
Quoting stacyemmy:

at my child birth class the doula said that if you're stressed or tense it can slow your labor then she showed us a video of this woman who had stopped progressing then she let out this scream and was delivering almost instantly...afterwards the woman said that she felt all this tension and she screamed to let it out...

I thought it was interesting! lol

I think it's very interesting, too!!

She was talking about something like this, it sounds like.

The Fear Tension Pain Cycle

Faith, Acceptance, Surrender         ~Unknown

Fear can be overcome only by Faith.         ~Dr. Grantly Dick-Read

Rain, after all is only rain; it is not bad weather. So also, pain is only pain; unless we resist it, then it becomes torment.            ~I Ching

If I don't know my options, I don't have any.          ~Diana Korte

mandamitch
by on Nov. 19, 2009 at 9:33 PM

Thanks for posting this.  I too am planning a drug free doula assisted birth.  I have been having contractions for several days now.  I did go to the doctor the first day and found that I was dialated to 4 1/2 - 5 but was not having contractions strong or consistant enough to be considered active labor.  I was given the option to stay or go home.  I decided I would go about my normal life until the contractions were strong enough that I couldn't ignore them.  Now we will just see how much longer the baby decides to stay in there!

babies
babies
LaceyN1121
by on Nov. 19, 2009 at 9:37 PM

I plan on going natural but am signing up for an epidural just incase...

pregnancy calendar
BlessedMommy530
by on Nov. 19, 2009 at 9:39 PM

Such good info! Thank you. I am definitely feeling anxiety about this birth. I would LOVE to do it naturally and I guess I'm just doubting my own ability to do so. ): 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN