Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

concerned bout next appt wit ob

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 2:22 AM
  • 7 Replies

i have found out that my doctor starts checking for dialation and all that when you hit 30-32 weeks pregnant. and im worried it is going to hurt or cause something to happen. this is my first pregnancy and i have had a very troubling pregnancy and i dont want to have my little girl early and her be in the nicu. when your doctor checked for dialation what did he/she do? im sorry if this is tmi. thanks in advance

by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 2:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
LisaMurphy
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 2:35 AM

I'm a first time Mom, too...  So I'm interested to find out...  Although I am 35 weeks tomorrow and they haven't checked me for that yet!

dannierae
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 2:40 AM

you have no need to worry....your dr has probably done this a million times and they make sure they take precaustions and are gentle with you...and also they would have to be really rough with you to cause anything to happen...but like i said you should have nothing to worry about...and voice your concerns with your ob...thats always the best way to go.

Schleetle
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 7:02 AM

They just put a couple fingers up your vagina for a few seconds, and push on your belly... Its not painful just a bit uncomfortable. Its really quick though...nothing to worry too much about. They won't hurt the baby either they just want to make sure shes staying put in there until the right time.

Pregnancy Ticker

skylersmommy010
by on Nov. 17, 2009 at 2:51 AM

Bump for any other advice!!

SamanthaRae_bby
by on Nov. 17, 2009 at 2:55 AM

i would ask not to be checked until you are 35+ weeks. have you had any preterm labor?? if not, there is no reason for you to be checked. its just a waste of time anyways, doesnt mean anything. plus there is a small chance it could kick labor in a little bit.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
doulala
by on Nov. 17, 2009 at 4:27 AM

It's certainly not required.   Some providers never do it at all.   Some wait until the mom is due.   Of course, like everything, it is always your call, you can decline the offer.  Vaginal exams will not tell you when or how you will labor.  And they can introduce bacteria.  They usually confuse the mom as she doesn't know what to do with the information (nothing), and can often lead to further unnecessary interventions.

• A woman may become discouraged by multiple exams and mindless comments such as, “you are only __cm”. Labor then can stall giving way to interventions that often end in cesarean.

• Vaginal exams increase the risk of infection by bringing bacteria towards the cervix, even when done carefully and especially after the release of the membranes.

• Vaginal exams are not a reliable way to predict when labor will begin. Labor normally begins when the baby is ready and a wonderful cocktail of hormones begin to release.

• Vaginal exams are particularly painful during contractions and disrupt a woman’s concentration.

• Instead of vaginal exams, the most accurate way to judge progress of normal labor is by noticing the changes in the mother’s behavior. For that you need a birth attendant willing to be present and compassionate.

The knowledge of how to give birth without outside intervention lies deep within each woman. Successful childbirth depends on an acceptance of the process. ~Suzanne Arms

Birth is not an emergency. It is simply an emergence.” - Jeannine Parvati Baker

abstractmommy
by on Nov. 17, 2009 at 4:30 AM

I would ask for them not to do it until you are full term at least unless you've been having problems. It's not overly painful but it can give you either false hope that things are moving along or false worries. Being dialated or effaced really means very little!

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)