Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

mommas who have had vaginal & c-section please advice

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 11:51 AM
  • 34 Replies

Right now I have the choice to either have another vaginal delivery or to just schedule a c-section. I'm a tiny person and yes I know peoples bodies are made to get bigger and are made to deliver babies but I had many issues when I delivered my son.. Well actually BOTH of us did.. And to this day we're still recovering.. I was told by 3 different doctors that I should not of delivered my son vaginally and that the doctor should not of pushed me so hard to have a vaginal delivery but he did and thats in the past well now I'm 4-6 weeks away from delivery and I have a doctors appointment next week and I have to decide if I just want to schedule a c-section for in 4 weeks or if I want to try a vaginal delivery.. My doctor told me that if this baby is any bigger than 7 pounds he will not let me deliver vaginally, yes, 7 pounds. My son was a 7 pounder and it was horrible. I just want advice(NO bashing me just advice) I know I've already been through the pain once and that this time it could be a breeze but then again this time it can also be worse or just the same as last time and thats the part that scares me.. My fiance has a friend whose mom died giving birth and my fiance was terrified that, that was going to happen to me. I know I know that doesnt happen to many women but still.. I know a c-section is a surgery I understand that and I have heard bad c-section stories and I have heard and seen good ones. My mom had a wonderful recovery from her c-section and so did my best friend. I just really dont know what I want to do right now. I would like to hear from mommas that have had a vaginal delivery first and then the second time around a c-section. Also I would like to here from mommas that had c-sections and from mommas that have had vaginal but think they needed a c-section and just any one else that wants to give advice.. I'm really nervous.. By the way NO I am NOT trying to get away from labor pains and I know either way I go there will be pain I just dont want my delivery/recovery to be as bad as it was last time and I dont want my daughter and I to have the same issues my son and I had.

by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 11:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nokesmomof2
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 11:55 AM

i have 2 c-section (no vaginal deliveries) but i think if i could have delivered naturally i would have wanted to do it that way. because now im left with a permant large scar on my stomach from having them. but which ever you decide is up to you

ElijahsMom211
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2009 at 11:56 AM

Honestly hun, i think you should do what's right for you and your baby.. To hell w/whatever everyone else thinks!! I know there are a lot of women who are against c-sections and whatnot but quite frankly it's your body NOT theirs! I don't have any other advice other than that b/c I don't know what's right for you.. I've never had a c-section so I don't know how the recovery is for that, but women recover differently anyways so 1 person's recovery won't necessarily be like yours.. You know??

Good Luck! I wish I was more helpful!

jennifer127
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 12:01 PM

I have had 3 c-sections, and this time around I'm really hoping for a VBAC, they're sayin I prolly won't get it, and I'm really considering just staying at home, and doing it all myself.  I just don't want another c-section.  Granted I always healed great, I just hate having to wait to see/hold my baby.  Pisses me off to no end. Which really puts breastfeeding off to a rocky start. So, yea, I have time to decide exactly what I'm goin to do, but I really want the VBAC, and if I keep askin doctors and they keep telling me no, I'm goin to have a HUGE fit about it! Along with some cussing and screaming until I get what I really want. Sorry, Just figured I'd let u know how I feel about it.

KBM99
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 12:01 PM

Yea I understand that different people recover differently.. And in a way I want to TRY to deliver vaginally and just PRAY that it will be a wonderful experience unlike last time but then again I'm scared that its gana be worse than last time and that they're gana have to rush me to have a c-section. And yea I know their are people completely against c-sections and I know they're prolly gana come on here and bash me even though I said not to but I'll prolly just delete their replies haha but I just want to hear what moms have been through with good & bad c-sections and vaginal deliveries..

Quoting ElijahsMom211:

Honestly hun, i think you should do what's right for you and your baby.. To hell w/whatever everyone else thinks!! I know there are a lot of women who are against c-sections and whatnot but quite frankly it's your body NOT theirs! I don't have any other advice other than that b/c I don't know what's right for you.. I've never had a c-section so I don't know how the recovery is for that, but women recover differently anyways so 1 person's recovery won't necessarily be like yours.. You know??

Good Luck! I wish I was more helpful!

queenamy
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 12:02 PM

I wouldnt worry about cosmetic things such as a csection scar.. i;'ve had two csections and you cant even see the small 3-4inch incision they made for each baby.

If you had major problems delivering vaginally. Then I see it as NO question! Have a csection! It should be a safer delivery for you and baby.

Of course you feel like total crap for another week or two, but at the very least thats all it is.. not years of problems as your first.

Anyhow, goodluck on whatever you choose

Amy & Dago

Parents to Nadia, Sasha, and expecting #3!

Pregnancy Ticker

KBM99
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 12:04 PM

I also had that issue with my first I got to take very few pictures with him and couldnt even consider trying to breast feed him right away because they took him from me less than a minute after he was born because we were both having issues. He was born at 5:39 pm and I didnt get to see him until I think 3 am.. We had both of our families there and everything waiting to see him but no one got to.. And then he never latched so I had to pump it was horrible and miserable :(

Quoting jennifer127:

I have had 3 c-sections, and this time around I'm really hoping for a VBAC, they're sayin I prolly won't get it, and I'm really considering just staying at home, and doing it all myself.  I just don't want another c-section.  Granted I always healed great, I just hate having to wait to see/hold my baby.  Pisses me off to no end. Which really puts breastfeeding off to a rocky start. So, yea, I have time to decide exactly what I'm goin to do, but I really want the VBAC, and if I keep askin doctors and they keep telling me no, I'm goin to have a HUGE fit about it! Along with some cussing and screaming until I get what I really want. Sorry, Just figured I'd let u know how I feel about it.

CeliMasto
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 12:08 PM

You have to do what will make you happy.  I have had one c/sec.  It was schedule but we went into emergency due to his heartrate and I missed the surgery, i was OUT>  The first two days are excrutiating and when they ask you to start walking.  I promise by day three as long as you keep forcing yourself to walk a lot and stand a lot thru the pain its allll uphill!! The more you stay lying down the more complications you can get.  SO with a rough surgery I walked out of the hospital with a natural delivery woman and everyone was shocked.

As for chosing, I would write a list.  Ask yourself what would make you happy.  It seems you and you firs born had a lot of suffering.  C/sections are not easy, they ARE painful but you may be happier with the decision. PM if you wanna ask me ANYTHING.  And i strongly recommend you read "the complete c-section guide" and "what if I have a c-section".  Good luck and remeber, do what will make YOU happy NOT what other ppl will understand.  Let me know if I can help you, I remember everything lol.

Cynthje
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 12:10 PM

What were the circumstances of your first birth? There are a lot of things that influence how a birth goes, its not only about the size of the baby or mom, things like epidurals, laying on your back during pushing, coached pushing etc..all influence how it goes.

I had a hard birth with my first,he was posterior with a turned face, it took 3 hours of pushing to get him out. I had a large tear that took 1,5 hours to repair. My second birth was a breeze, short almost pain free labor without any active pushing! It was over before i realised i was in active labor. One birth is not an indication of how the next ones will be at all!

Personally i wouldnt plan a c-section, i would let labor start and take it from there. I would no be inactive in a bed during labor and i would push when my body tells me to do it!

Throughout the world, there exists a group of women who feel mightily drawn to giving care to women in childbirth. At the same time maternal and independent, responsive to a mother's needs, yet accepting full responsibility as her attendant; such women are natural midwives. Without the presence and acceptance of the midwife, obstetrics becomes aggressive, technical, and inhuman.

Professor G.J. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam

sissychristi
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 12:16 PM

I am also curious about what made the first birth so hard? What positions were you in while pushing? How long were you pushing for?

There are a number of things that can help a vaginal birth progress easier, but I can't really give you any advice unless I know what the complications were. I don't want to tell you something only to find it irrelevant in your situation.

pregnant bellyJoin us in the Pregnancy Group -

sissychristi, Pregnancy Group Mod

KBM99
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 12:18 PM

haha total crap for a week or two is much better than months of total crap.. My doctors didnt give me the okay to go back to school or work until 6-8 weeks after I had my son and even then they told me I needed to take it easy.. And they told me before delivery it was only supposed to be 4 weeks.. But they kept making me wait longer and coming back for another post partum check..

Quoting queenamy:

I wouldnt worry about cosmetic things such as a csection scar.. i;'ve had two csections and you cant even see the small 3-4inch incision they made for each baby.

If you had major problems delivering vaginally. Then I see it as NO question! Have a csection! It should be a safer delivery for you and baby.

Of course you feel like total crap for another week or two, but at the very least thats all it is.. not years of problems as your first.

Anyhow, goodluck on whatever you choose

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)