Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Infant carrier v. convertible? Sling? Help!! (piog)

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 4:19 PM
  • 33 Replies

Poll

Question: Which one?

Options:

Carrier!

Convertible!

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 34

View Results

Hey everyone, I had an infant carrier with my son, who is now 14 months old, and I enjoyed being able to use it in other ways than just a car seat. Shopping, bringing him in the house without waking him, etc. He's now in a convertible (rear facing) and I'm due in early March for our next baby.

His carrier was in perfect condition and no where near expiring...but... our cat pee'd in it. Yeah. Gag. It stank to high heaven and nothing I did could fix it. So, it's gone.

So, now I'm looking into car seats again. lol. I'm tempted to just go with a convertible, since my son grew out of his carrier so fast, but I'm concerned I might miss the convenience of the carrier.

I'm also considering using a sling this time around. It was something I did before but never got around to. So this COULD make up for the fact that I don't have the carrier. Those of you that have used one, is it difficult to transfer a sleeping infant?

Any advice or opinions would be appreciated!

by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 4:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommyziegler
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2009 at 4:25 PM

i did an infant carseat with my daughter until she was 4 months old because at 4 months old she was able to sit up on her own. So then i switched her to the trufit convertible carseat and it worked great. She'll be 19 months this weekend and i love that seat BUT in my opinion i think a carrier would be easier until your child can sit up because no one wants to have to hold a baby while shopping or at a resturant ect. It gets to be to much.

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

toddler girl                                 in love                   stork

Summer Lynne born 4-22-08    Holly and John married 10-28-07    #2 due June 2, 2010

ElijahsMom211
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2009 at 4:28 PM

I loved our carrier and will probably use it again. I do plan on using the sling but only when I don't want to lug the stroller around, like while grocery shopping, etc. The carrier came in handy when it came to going to a restaurant and the baby sleeping there or something. It was nice.

brookelas
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 4:33 PM

I'd forgotten about going into resturaunts. I figured it'd be no issue for shopping, but it IS pretty convenient to have one while eating.

ttaylor1998
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 4:43 PM

Really?  Not the moms I know.  LOL

We only used a convertible...  much, much easier- not to mention safer (and more economical)!  I am against the use of infant seats for many reasons. 

I always planned my big shopping trips in the morning, when I knew Mason would be napping.  I never had a problem getting a sleepy baby into the wrap.  He slept great in it. =)

Although we don't go to restaurants much, I did buy a fold-up bouncy seat that stayed in the car.  I think we used it twice. lol

Quoting mommyziegler:

i did an infant carseat with my daughter until she was 4 months old because at 4 months old she was able to sit up on her own. So then i switched her to the trufit convertible carseat and it worked great. She'll be 19 months this weekend and i love that seat BUT in my opinion i think a carrier would be easier until your child can sit up because no one wants to have to hold a baby while shopping or at a resturant ect. It gets to be to much.

siggy2 by you.

Next Stocking:  October 26th, 8 p.m. Eastern 

mommyziegler
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2009 at 4:44 PM

I don't do slings or wraps so i would have to hold the infant care for my daughter and push around a shopping cart! not my idea of easy!

Quoting ttaylor1998:

We only used a convertible...  much, much easier- not to mention safer (and more economical)!  I am against the use of infant seats for many reasons. 

I always planned my big shopping trips in the morning, when I knew Mason would be napping.  I never had a problem getting a sleepy baby into the wrap.  He slept great in it. =)

Although we don't go to restaurants much, I did buy a fold-up bouncy seat that stayed in the car.  I think we used it twice. lol

Quoting mommyziegler:

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

Summer Lynne born 4-22-08    Holly and John married 10-28-07    #2 due June 2, 2010

LaughterHugs
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 4:48 PM

since you ask OP and appear interested (not sayin' all mamas have to) i'd go with just buying a convertible (we use the radian xt - fits easily with three in the back of  my nissan sentra RF to 45 and FFharnessed  to 80) and use slings :D

here's some different types of slings and the pros and cons (and where i shop, lol)

http://blessedbebirthing.health.officelive.com/babywearing.aspx

zackaroosmom
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 5:05 PM

We used an infant carrier for ouroldest son and used a convertible car seat for our other kids. I personally like the convertible more. It just makes more sense to me. It's cheaper in the end. You can use it a lot longer. You're actually not suppose to put the infant carriers on top of the basket, so to me its easier to put the baby in a wrap or sling.

I have had different slings, wraps, and carriers. My favorite is the Moby wrap. I never had issues of the baby waking. They would start to wake, but they would fall back to sleep quickly since they were snuggled up next to me. 

zackaroosmom
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 5:11 PM

I beg to differ. At one point I had three kids, three and under. Some wraps and slings make you hands free. Its just as easy as putting your baby that's in the infant carrier in the basket as it is to put them in a wrap or sling. Honestly with a wrap or a sling, you wouldn't be carrying around the extra weight of the car seat.

Quoting mommyziegler:

I don't do slings or wraps so i would have to hold the infant care for my daughter and push around a shopping cart! not my idea of easy!

Quoting ttaylor1998:

Quoting mommyziegler:

mommyziegler
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2009 at 5:17 PM

okay but as i said I DON'T DO WRAPS OR SLINGS so to me it's easier to have an infant carrier for the first few months. everybody is different and does their own thing.

Quoting zackaroosmom:

I beg to differ. At one point I had three kids, three and under. Some wraps and slings make you hands free. Its just as easy as putting your baby that's in the infant carrier in the basket as it is to put them in a wrap or sling. Honestly with a wrap or a sling, you wouldn't be carrying around the extra weight of the car seat.

Quoting mommyziegler:

Quoting ttaylor1998:

Quoting mommyziegler:

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

zackaroosmom
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 6:02 PM

I know that. I was just stating my opinion. You have your reasons for what you do and I have mine. The OP asked for advice and opinions. I was just saying that if you did use wraps or slings that you can be hands free, not to offend you. I'm sorry if I did, because that wasn't the point.

Quoting mommyziegler:

okay but as i said I DON'T DO WRAPS OR SLINGS so to me it's easier to have an infant carrier for the first few months. everybody is different and does their own thing.

Quoting zackaroosmom:

Quoting mommyziegler:

Quoting ttaylor1998:

Quoting mommyziegler:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)