Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Birth control help

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 4:55 PM
  • 5 Replies

My husband and I are pretty sure we are done having children.  We have 4 (counting the one almost done cooking).  But neither of us want to do anything permanent.  So.. what do you use, have used, and recommend.  I want the good and the bad for EVERYTHING!  I WILL NOT get the depo shot, as I had that before and gained 30 lbs, and I am already overweight.  Anything else though, I would LOVE to hear about.. and if you have webpages or stats or anything you can direct me to that would help, I would appreciate that too!

by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 4:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
meam4444
by Emerald Member on Nov. 16, 2009 at 5:00 PM

we do natural family planning because im not a fan of taking any drugs or adding any devices to my body to hinder a natural body function.  it is where you learn your cycle and you abstain during the fertile period.  it has worked perfectly for us!  ive knowing ppl using it for 15 plus yrs and never surprise baby.  i believe if used and learned correctly, the percentage of getting pregnant is less than 2% (ive heard once before it was at 0.5%).  the key is to learn this method correctly, and it works perfectly.  also, it doesnt cost anything also.

my hubby and i took a class through:  http://www.familyplanning.net/

logunsmommy
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 5:01 PM

This is hard for me, as my cycle can be anywhere from 28-50 days.  I never know...That is how I got this one I am pregnant with now.. by trying to do that and not being able to.  Unfortunately, I need intervention to help prevent.

Quoting meam4444:

we do natural family planning because im not a fan of taking any drugs or adding any devices to my body to hinder a natural body function.  it is where you learn your cycle and you abstain during the fertile period.  it has worked perfectly for us!  ive knowing ppl using it for 15 plus yrs and never surprise baby.  i believe if used and learned correctly, the percentage of getting pregnant is less than 2%.  the key is to learn this method correctly, and it works perfectly.  also, it doesnt cost anything also.

meam4444
by Emerald Member on Nov. 16, 2009 at 5:06 PM

it works with irregular cycles also.  i have and known ppl with irregular cyles to use that method correctly.    but you have to do what you feel best for your body.

Quoting logunsmommy:

This is hard for me, as my cycle can be anywhere from 28-50 days.  I never know...That is how I got this one I am pregnant with now.. by trying to do that and not being able to.  Unfortunately, I need intervention to help prevent.

Quoting meam4444:

we do natural family planning because im not a fan of taking any drugs or adding any devices to my body to hinder a natural body function.  it is where you learn your cycle and you abstain during the fertile period.  it has worked perfectly for us!  ive knowing ppl using it for 15 plus yrs and never surprise baby.  i believe if used and learned correctly, the percentage of getting pregnant is less than 2%.  the key is to learn this method correctly, and it works perfectly.  also, it doesnt cost anything also.

admegan
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 5:12 PM

I had the Mirena IUD and I was very happy with it. You can get them for either 3&5 yrs or 5&10 yrs...I dont remember which. I got the one for 5 yrs and I didnt have a problem with it. Just because they are good for that long doesn't mean you have to leave them in for that long. You can have them removed whenever you like.  The only down sides I can think of with them is that it can cause irregular periods for awhile but after you've had it in for a awhile there's a chance you wont have a period.  And every so often my husband could feel it while we were having sex, but that rarely happened and when it did it was only in a certain position. Your doctor has to insert and remove it for you, but its really quick and easy.

The other BC that I really like was the nuva-ring. Once again, VERY  easy to use and you only have to put it in once a month and forget about it for 3 weeks. You can even get a little timer thing for it that tells you when you need to remove and replace the ring!

Hope that helps a bit!!

admegan
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 5:14 PM

http://www.mirena-us.com/

http://www.nuvaring.com/Consumer/index.asp

Quoting admegan:

I had the Mirena IUD and I was very happy with it. You can get them for either 3&5 yrs or 5&10 yrs...I dont remember which. I got the one for 5 yrs and I didnt have a problem with it. Just because they are good for that long doesn't mean you have to leave them in for that long. You can have them removed whenever you like.  The only down sides I can think of with them is that it can cause irregular periods for awhile but after you've had it in for a awhile there's a chance you wont have a period.  And every so often my husband could feel it while we were having sex, but that rarely happened and when it did it was only in a certain position. Your doctor has to insert and remove it for you, but its really quick and easy.

The other BC that I really like was the nuva-ring. Once again, VERY  easy to use and you only have to put it in once a month and forget about it for 3 weeks. You can even get a little timer thing for it that tells you when you need to remove and replace the ring!

Hope that helps a bit!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)