Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Whats the difference between newborn and 0-3 months?

Posted by on Nov. 17, 2009 at 12:09 AM
  • 16 Replies

On clothing size whats the difference. Or is it the same? What would you prefer I start out with?? We did get a 0-3 months but we arent to sure if it will be to big when she is first born. Anyone know?

by on Nov. 17, 2009 at 12:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
desertwannab
by on Nov. 17, 2009 at 12:11 AM

newborn is usually UP TO 7 lbs and 0-3 months is typically 7-12 lbs 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
housefullofkidz
by on Nov. 17, 2009 at 12:12 AM

I think the difference between newborn and 0-3 is a couple inches in length.

There are two ways to live your life - one is as though nothing is a miracle, the other is as though everything is a miracle. Albert Einstein andee.jpg picture by us5dots   Join us in the Pregnancy Group,Housefullofkidz, Pregnancy Group Mod 

ready_for2
by on Nov. 17, 2009 at 12:13 AM

newborn is realllllly tiny. 0-3 months fits for a while longer, maybe actually for 3 months (but its rare to fit along with the tag).... my son went straight into 0-3 months bc he was 9 lbs when he was born and too big for his newborn outfits.... i would take one of each to the hospital just in case! my bf had to go home and get the bigger outfit bc we didnt bring one

Marah2008
by Silver Member on Nov. 17, 2009 at 12:13 AM

So is there even a point of buying newborn when she will grow out of it in a couple weeks? How many of you buy newborn clothes?

CoastieWifePR
by on Nov. 17, 2009 at 12:13 AM

I usually go by height/weight.  My daughter is 4 months old and uses clothes as big as 9 mo.  Just got her some pj's 16-20 pounds because she's 16 pounds already.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
  This is Bunny. Copy and paste her into your signature to help her gain world domination.

AlwaysExpecting
by on Nov. 17, 2009 at 12:15 AM

I always have a few newborn size onesies and pants, because for the first 2 weeks or so the 0-3months sizes are so big on my babies (my oldest was 7lbs 14 oz and 21inches and my youngest was 7lbs 1 oz and 20 inches long) 

I wouldn't buy too many newborn size,  but  I would have a few on hand especially for the hospital.  Gowns are great too,  but I tend to dislike them because they always seem to ride up on a squirmy baby.

mnt_2_b_mommy

All the newborn clothes we have are for 5-8 lbs, and 0-3 month clothes are 8-14 lbs. The Carter's onsies are very long and narrow, and they tend to fit longer than most. I would buy a few Carter's onsie packs in newborn just to be safe, but you don't have to wash more than the one pack until you have the baby and know what size she will be. My son was 5 lbs at birth and wore preemie and newborn for the first few months, but my sister's kids were 9 lbs and went straight to 0-3 months.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
CoastieWifePR

I bought VERY FEW pj's for newborn because the 0-3 were too big for her, even though she was almost 8 pounds when she was born.  They only lasted like 3 weeks on her, but the ones that were too big for her were a pain in the butt because her legs would get tangled.

Quoting Marah2008:

So is there even a point of buying newborn when she will grow out of it in a couple weeks? How many of you buy newborn clothes?

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
  This is Bunny. Copy and paste her into your signature to help her gain world domination.

Mommyto2kids09
by on Nov. 17, 2009 at 12:20 AM

When my DD was born we bought her 99% 0-3 months and they were too big when she was born. We had to turn around and buy newborn stuff so she would be comfortable. It just depends on how much the little bundle of joy weighs when born. My DD wore newborn for about 5-6 weeks

Bennett121
by on Nov. 17, 2009 at 12:29 AM

I have a couple of newborn outfits but I will use mostly gowns and blanket sleepers (easier to change diapers that way anyhow)

with my son the 0-3 months were too big at first and we had to go out and buy newborn clothes

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)