Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it possible to have a preterm baby after 6 term births?

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 6:11 AM
  • 5 Replies

I'm due to have my 7th child in less than 5 weeks. But I've been having some good contractions and after checking myself, I've already dilated to about 4 and am pretty well effaced. I know I can walk around like this for weeks, but I'm working a very physical job and it seems to really bring on the contractions.

I'm having my midwife appt today and want them to check me. I just wonder if they'll want me to take maternity leave. I really want to, but we just can't afford it right now, dh is out of work. I would feel much better if they made me take it as opposed to it just looking like I'm lazy and don't want to work.

Can you have a preterm baby after so many term babies?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 6:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
by Bronze Member on Nov. 20, 2009 at 9:05 AM

I did after 7 pregnancies. I had my twins at 34 wks.. I think I was over doing it to begin with.

by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 10:09 AM

Every pregnancy is unique and should not be compared too closely to the others.  

But if you are on your 7th baby then keep in mind that you're probably much more sensitive to the hormones (as women  often become with consecutive pregnancies), you might notice earlier and bigger signs.   That doesn't mean baby will come any sooner, just that your body is recognizing and preparing.

If you think it's getting too intense you can try the things to slow things down like drinking a lot of water, a calm bath, etc.   --and call in if nothing helps and you're still concerned.

Can you ask to be assigned to a less physical position at work?

The knowledge of how to give birth without outside intervention lies deep within each woman. Successful childbirth depends on an acceptance of the process. ~Suzanne Arms

Birth is not an emergency. It is simply an emergence.” - Jeannine Parvati Baker

by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 10:13 AM

Yes it is definitely possible. 

pink ribbon Remember your mammograms ladies:)

by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 10:14 AM

Heck yeah!  There is always the risk of preterm labor, but with your 7th pregnancy that risk is even greater!  Good luck and please keep us posted!

by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 1:38 PM

Just got back from the midwife and I'm not so sure I trust her now. We were talking about guessing the baby's size, because my last baby was 9 lbs and 10 oz and a few days before she was born they told me she would be another 8 pounder like the rest of them. I asked this midwife if it was possible to tell, and she said no, not even with ultrasound. Then proceeded to tell me that they probably told me that so I wouldn't worry about having a larger baby. So, now I'm wondering if she would tell me something other than what she truly believes just to ease my fears.

I told her about the contractions I've been having, and that I was concerned something might be going on down there, not because I'm afraid of giving birth, but because my dh is out of town and I just want him to be with me. So, she checked me and said I was at a 2 and still very thick.

I know I'm no expert, but when I checked myself, there was a definate change from the day before. I just don't know that I can trust her now.

I'm not going to worry too much about it though.

I like your advice doula, I am trying to drink more water, as I can tell a definate difference in my swelling when I do. As far as a different position at work, I'm a server and I've only been there for two months, so there's not much else I know how to do. I'll just try to sit a little when we're not too busy and drink, drink, drink.

Thanks ladies! 

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)