Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

real tree or fake tree?

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 11:47 AM
  • 14 Replies

So We have lived in cities the last several years and my 5 year old was told the reason we had fake trees is because there is no place to buy a real christmas tree in the city. Last Christmas we knew we were moving to New England and we talked about how fun it would be to go to the place and get our own tree. I even told her about how there is a Christmas Tree farm on the way to my dads, and in the fall we drove by it. NOW she wants a real tree. Completely understandable. My husband says no way. I wish we could have been on the same page say a year ago when her and I started talking about how next year (now) we would be getting a real tree. It is not like she is just being disapointed, it is like she was lied to for a whole year. I can't get my husband to say ok get the real tree. he is not budging. What should I do?

by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 11:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrs_patterson
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 11:51 AM

I would just tell him how much it means to your daughter & if he still disagreed, I would go out & get the darn tree myself and tell him that you & your daughter plan on enjoying the holidays, he's welcome to join in or he can spend that time being mad about a dumb tree, his choice.
I mean, like, I am allergic to real trees, so we always have a fake one, but if my son was old enough & he was looking forward to it like that, I'd probably suck it up and do it just for him...

NaTashaVictoria
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 11:56 AM

Why is he so against having a real tree? We had real trees my entire childhood and it's one of those traditions that just stick. The smell of a fresh tree during the holidays just makes it so much memorable. Then I  moved upstate with my dad and they all use fake trees even though they lived in a small town surrounded by farms and could easily find a real tree. Heck, they could go to their camp in the mountains and cut one down themselves if they wanted to. But, they didn't and it was a big disappointment. My husbands family also uses fake trees. But, now that I have my own family and my own place it's real trees every year. The clean up sucks, but it's worth it to have that smell envelope you as you're opening gifts on christmas morning. If your SO doesn't want a real tree b/c of the clean up, tell him they make these special tarps that you lie the tree on so that when you drag it out of your house, it leaves a minimal needle trail. Or he could just use a regular tarp.

CafeMom Tickers
mommy2girls0305
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 11:56 AM

Quoting mrs_patterson:

I would just tell him how much it means to your daughter & if he still disagreed, I would go out & get the darn tree myself and tell him that you & your daughter plan on enjoying the holidays, he's welcome to join in or he can spend that time being mad about a dumb tree, his choice.
I mean, like, I am allergic to real trees, so we always have a fake one, but if my son was old enough & he was looking forward to it like that, I'd probably suck it up and do it just for him...

aw I have to agree  seeing as she has looked foward to it for  a year and all  i would try talking to him again and ask him why he doesnt want a real one  i would hate for my  dd's to be disappointed.. mrs_patterson  thats sweet that you would get a real tree  for  your kid even though you are allergic.

mrs_patterson
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 11:59 AM

Aww thanks! My mom did it for us a few times (mainly when we were younger...) and it meant alot, so I totally see no problem doing it for my kiddos. What's a few weeks of sneezing & runny noses compared to those smiles when they're decorating the tree or on Christmas morning?

Quoting mommy2girls0305:

Quoting mrs_patterson:

aw I have to agree  seeing as she has looked foward to it for  a year and all  i would try talking to him again and ask him why he doesnt want a real one  i would hate for my  dd's to be disappointed.. mrs_patterson  thats sweet that you would get a real tree  for  your kid even though you are allergic.

Megara
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 12:00 PM

Fake.  DH is very allergic to pine.  We always went and cut down our own tree growing up, and I miss that.  DH always had a fake when he was growing up.  The first year we were married, he wanted a real tree, because he had never had one before, and thought he would just take Benadryl and be ok.  Nope.  He was so sick and miserable the entire time!  We threw the tree out immediately the day after Christmas.  I kinda like having the fake because we can keep it up longer--we put it up the week of Thanksgiving (this weekend!).

For your situation, what is his reason for not wanting a real tree?

mommy2girls0305
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 12:02 PM

yup  it goes back  doing anything we can to make our kids happy

Quoting mrs_patterson:

Aww thanks! My mom did it for us a few times (mainly when we were younger...) and it meant alot, so I totally see no problem doing it for my kiddos. What's a few weeks of sneezing & runny noses compared to those smiles when they're decorating the tree or on Christmas morning?

Quoting mommy2girls0305:

Quoting mrs_patterson:

acissejessica
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 12:19 PM

Hes just saying no. no reason

Quoting Megara:

Fake.  DH is very allergic to pine.  We always went and cut down our own tree growing up, and I miss that.  DH always had a fake when he was growing up.  The first year we were married, he wanted a real tree, because he had never had one before, and thought he would just take Benadryl and be ok.  Nope.  He was so sick and miserable the entire time!  We threw the tree out immediately the day after Christmas.  I kinda like having the fake because we can keep it up longer--we put it up the week of Thanksgiving (this weekend!).

For your situation, what is his reason for not wanting a real tree?

MelaniesMama
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 12:27 PM

So he has no reason for not getting a real tree?  Thats stupid.  Hes being selfish. 
Maybe get a small tree you can put in your DD's room thats real?

MJWard
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 12:41 PM

I live in Maine (no shortages of trees haha) I grew up always having a real one..but I get a fake tree now. I am paranoid about fire esp having small children..there are ALWAYS things on the news every year about house fires and its just sooo sad esp if ppl die! plus having a real tree only to toss it to the curb after the holidays is kinda sad and dont see the need to cut a real tree down when u can get a fake one and use the tree spray that smells just like a real tree :O). I have a white tree and love it :O)

pregnancy calendar

housefullofkidz
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 1:15 PM

We get one huge real tree ( valted ceiling)  and then put fake tree's in all the other rooms of the house!

There are two ways to live your life - one is as though nothing is a miracle, the other is as though everything is a miracle. Albert Einstein andee.jpg picture by us5dots   Join us in the Pregnancy Group,Housefullofkidz, Pregnancy Group Mod 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)