Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

detecting labor pains

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 5:22 PM
  • 2 Replies

Hey guys,

I was just wondering how we know it's really labor or false labor.  My obgyn just told me if I should have 4 contractions in an hour, to go check in at the hospital.  How would I know if it's really a contraction or just the baby pushing on my belly.  (she bounces around all the time in there).  I do recall how painful the contractions were with my first child (5 years ago), but when I was counting and noticing the contractions that day, I was dismissed by both my husband, my friend, and even my doctor.  They were like, "no you're not in labor.. those are just Braxton Hicks".  Well, 6 hours later, everyone quickly realized I was in labor b/c I was on the floor in so much pain!  I'm trying to AVOID that scenerio this time around LOL so want to make sure I don't miss warning signs this time around.  I am aware of the whole mucus plug thing and how some women have other symptoms (diarrhea, cramps) before the big L comes.

Any tips are welcome to getting through this last trimester too.

Pregnancy ticker

by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 5:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
doulala
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 5:42 PM

4 in an hour?   Like every 12-15 minutes?    That seems too early, imo, for the usual active labor-time to go situation.

I would look for them to be regular/consistant and intensifying.    If you have a contraction that lasts for a minute and the last one was 4 minutes ago (this way for at least an hour), I think that might be a good indicator.   These are frequent, consistant, and a good length a piece.

A lot of women describe contractions like menstrual cramps with the belly tightening.   This feeling tends to start out more gentle and ramps up in intensity.   If you're noticing them getting bigger and closer, it may be Time.

:-)

Birth is not only about making babies. Birth is about making mothers ~ strong, competent, capable mothers who trust themselves and know their inner strength.

~Barbara Katz Rothma

When you change the way you view birth, the way you birth will change. -Mongan

MarriedJess
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 6:17 PM

are you getting these cramps right now? was your LG born this early?

Our little Beetle

Mommy, Daddy and Big sister Ella can't wait to meet Ollan Stephen!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)