Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I slipped and fell in a huge retail store....

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 6:38 PM
  • 38 Replies

I'm 38 weeks and 4 days pregnant and the other day I was with my mother in one of those big warehouse stores(don't want to name)and we were looking around.My mother and I were both looking for a food processor, so we started to go down the home appliance aisle, when all of a sudden,I slip and fall directly on my knees,and then fall forward on my stomach.My initial thought was to pick myself up and walk away but being so far along in my pregnancy, it wasn't as easy as I thought.I tried to pick myself up but I had no strength and I just broke down and started freaking out, grabbing my stomach.I couldn't feel the baby moving, and the contractions started right away..long story short, ambulance were called,my mother filled out a incident report,and we went to the hospital.I'm fine, and the baby is fine (she's not here yet) but everyone I've told the story to is telling me to sue which I don't want to do. I need advice on what I should do?!?!?! A law firm has called to talk about the incident that occured but I missed the call. I'm planning on calling them back when my husband is here since the majority of his family are lawyers or in the legal field, and he knows more about this sort of thing than I do.

by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 6:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JasonsMom2007
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 6:40 PM

Was it caused by any negligence on their part?  If not why sue?

ElijahsMom211
by Platinum Member on Nov. 20, 2009 at 6:41 PM

I work for lawyers, but I know nothing about the legal stuff, I'm just a receptionist, so I don't know why I mentioned it..

I guess, my question is Why would you sue?? Do you want to sue? Do you have a reason to sue??

MJWard
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 6:42 PM

What caused you to fall? was it something that could of been prevented such as a wet floor?

pregnancy calendar

glenda09
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 6:44 PM

First of all thank God that you and your little one was ok and is still ok!!!!

Was the floor wet or did you trip over something. I dont think you can sue if you just fell. I think only if the store was at fault somehow... Im not sure but this is what I think

Glenda

No dream is too big when you work from home!  http://www.workathomeunited.com/glenda09 

Get">http://www.diaperjunction.com/?AffId=15">Get FREE Diapers at Diaper Junction!

T.Lib
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 6:45 PM

There was a clear fluid on the floor, it felt like detergent, and I slipped and fell.

I don't want to sue. I'm okay, still sore and stiff but I'm okay and the baby is okay and really thats all that matters to me.

MomNtheRes
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 6:45 PM

If there is no harm to you or the baby, why sue? Everyone is out to get money for nothing these days...BUT if there is a chance you could have the baby and discover something happened from the fall that will end up effecting your or your child's life for years to come- oh yes, SUE. DOn't sign ANYTHING stating that you are NOT going to sue until you know your little bundle is safely in your arms with no repercussions from the fall. Also if there is something that the insurance comepany won't cover from you falling, that would be a reason to sue. I'm so sorry you fell! That had to be pretty terrifying.

cmb121906
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 6:47 PM

If it was negligence on their part, I'd think about it. If it was just you falling, then heck no. Sorry this happened and glad you and baby are okay :)

This is what your admission looks like behind closed doors!

A lifetime of abuse and lockdown

Click for more info!

cmb121906
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 6:48 PM

Quoting T.Lib:

There was a clear fluid on the floor, it felt like detergent, and I slipped and fell.

I don't want to sue. I'm okay, still sore and stiff but I'm okay and the baby is okay and really thats all that matters to me.

I wouldn't want to sue either. I would just make them pay medical costs (all) and then call it a day. Now if they are dicks about paying your medical bills from it, I would threaten with a lawyer. I'm sure they will have no problems paying you bills.

This is what your admission looks like behind closed doors!

A lifetime of abuse and lockdown

Click for more info!

ElijahsMom211
by Platinum Member on Nov. 20, 2009 at 6:49 PM

I say don't sue.. If you and your baby are fine, what is the point?? The liquid may have just happened or happened by customers who are careless and didn't feel like telling someone they spilt something.

I'm glad that both you and baby are fine!

Quoting T.Lib:

ElijahsMom211
by Platinum Member on Nov. 20, 2009 at 6:50 PM

I think you'd have to sue in order to get them to pay medical costs, tho I'm not sure.

Quoting cmb121906:

Quoting T.Lib:

I wouldn't want to sue either. I would just make them pay medical costs (all) and then call it a day. Now if they are dicks about paying your medical bills from it, I would threaten with a lawyer. I'm sure they will have no problems paying you bills.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)